What's the animals used to determine shorthorn DNA.

Help Support Steer Planet:

knabe

aj said:
How far away are we from cloning a bull from frozen semen? Or is it even possible? Last I knew you needed an ear or something. 20 years from now?

finally, a reasonable post.

if there are sloughed cells that are somatic and viable, it may be possible.

if i were sek, lautner, ivf companies, etc, i think i would at least explore it.

maybe they already have.

trevorgreycattleco

I see no reason to DNA test cattle right now. Unless you mob breed and need to identify sires. Other then that it seems like a waste a valuable cash flow. Kinda like breed associations. Youre led to believe they are needed. Why do we need to clone a animal? Is the clone as good as the original? Produce the same? Instead of linebreeding and making lots of the same type cows, we clone the outlier and wonder why we still have messes to fix with the next bull wonder.

Okotoks

In Canada Shorthorn bulls have to be DNA tested before any progeny can be registered.
As far as a DNA test to verify "Shorthorn Purity" it's looking like that as of yet there is not a test.
If there is it would be good to know who offers it and how they developed the test. Also what the test costs.
I' m not sure I would spend money on it if it were available.

trevorgreycattleco

I see no need for it after much thought. Okotoks makes good points. Instead of worrying about DNA verification, I'll just go to a place like Gary Kapers. Where I have no doubt he is shorthorn through and through and knows the history as well as anyone. Him and okotoks are very valuable resources to the breed. There knowledge of history is critical in moving forward. What made shorthorns the preferred breed back when? Let's get back to that. Grass roots movements can take off if they have validity.