What's the best way to remove dead hair?

Help Support Steer Planet:

red

I have a heifer that is really brownish w/ lots of dead hair. Right now I'm using the scrapper brush w/ a blade to remove it but just don't feel I'm making any progress. Any good suggestions besides clipping her?

Red

Attachments

• timmy cut.jpg
    timmy cut.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 322

ShowStopper

We use a grill brick. Its a shedding stone for horses. I think they're like $2 and are at most feed stores.

red

so that's what a grill brick is! I thought it was something you used for the outdoor grill :))) maybe it is but just used also in horses.
I'll try that. I used & used the rotobrush & blew her out today. Firdt time for them on the rotobrush & blower, they did really well. Me, I was leading one & she took a little hop & I fell gracefuly on my butt. I always amaze the doctors that I haven't broken more than a collorbone w/ my terrible bone density.
I might try & do a little clipping & just try to remove some of the worst parts. She probably won't get shown until Labor Day so have some time. Also, my barn isn't real sunlight proof. I like the breeze going through & hate to seal it up too much.

Red

Jill

We use a grill brick.  Bought something called "the shedding tool" at the vet worked great on the Corgi's might try it on the cattle next time.

ROAD WARRIOR

I have used a high preasure washer (useually earlier in the year than this -april/may) just be careful not to get too close with the tip of the washer. The calves will let you know if you are getting close enough. Good luck Red

red

Oh Boy AFHM, you have no idea who your dealing with! I singe my own eyebrows burning trash. No Way would I even attempt to torch. I saw it done at a sale. You have to know what your doing in my opinion!

Red

farmboy

red said:
Oh Boy AFHM, you have no idea who your dealing with! I singe my own eyebrows burning trash. No Way would I even attempt to torch. I saw it done at a sale. You have to know what your doing in my opinion!

Red
ONE TIME I CAUGHT MY HAIR ON FIRE :))) I BENT OVER TO GET SOMETHING AND THERE WAS A LIT CANDLE...

NHR Shorthorns

We just clip the hair. We usually take a 1/2" off at time until the dead hair is gone. Lots of rice root brushing and rinsing.

Telos

Red, I like both of your heifers. The one pictured and  your avatar. Good structure with a great big foot on them.

A curry comb or one of those scrappers used by horse people always  work for me. I use a grill brick everyday to clean my grill at work.  Never thought it would work on anything else let alone dead hair on a bovine.

red

I bought a grill brick today so we'll see how it works out tomorrow.

Thanks all for the suggestions. I do believe I'm going to leave the torching to those that know how to do it!
I think some good old fashion elbow grease & time will help more than anything!

Red

red

wow, anyone that has dead hair & hasn't used a grill brick get one! I just got mine in the grilling section of WalMart. Used it today & can't believe how much dead hair came out w/ it! I'll post an after picture in a month!

Thanks J, for the tip on the gloves. I'm sure it would make my hands like sandpaper without them. Don't think I'm ready for case purchases though!

Thanks for all the good tips but keep them coming in case someone has more problems!

Red (clapping)

red

Thought you'd like to see what a little hard work can produce. Same heifer but after lots of grill brick action, shredder comb & rinsings!

Red

Attachments

• 100_1488.jpg
    100_1488.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 229

TJ

red said:
I bought a grill brick today so we'll see how it works out tomorrow.

Thanks all for the suggestions. I do believe I'm going to leave the torching to those that know how to do it!
I think some good old fashion elbow grease & time will help more than anything!

Red

The grill brick & elbow grease is the best for removing dead hair, IMHO. 

RE torching... Torching a calf isn't as hard or as dangerous as it might appear.  I am no expert at torching, but I have become pretty decent at it & the only training I've had was to watch someone do it a few times.  The main thing with torching is to make sure the calf is very clean & that it doesn't have anything in the hair, especially flamable sprays!  Also, don't hold the torch too close to the animal & keep it moving (don't hold it in one spot).  Also, don't try to take it all off all at once either... just take off a little bit at a time in passes & if it needs more removed, make another pass until you get it like you want it (at least that's the way I do it).  Make sure that someone is standing close by with a brush or a rag to put out any potential flame ups.  Also, the way I do it is... I clip the legs, the tails, the heads & almost the entire neck 1st (some people just clip the top of the neck & torch the rest of the neck, but I'm not that brave), like you normally would & then I blend in everything & do all the body clipping with the torch.  It saves lots of time, wont wear out clippers or blades & the animals overall appearance will look much better when they are finished.  It's great for pictures or sales or for getting one "rough clipped", but I prefer the "traditional" clipping method for shows.