What's your most exciting matings coming in 2012?

Help Support Steer Planet:

ruhtram

jphelps said:
I'm excited about a dirty hairy 2 x total solution I have coming, because It's the only one I have coming!! ;D

For being your only one, should be a good mating!

jphelps

Cruiser said:
jphelps said:
I'm excited about a dirty hairy 2 x total solution I have coming, because It's the only one I have coming!! ;D

Im hoping! But it will be her first calf( in case you can't tell by the breeding) so a live one is a good one in my book, it also will be one of the two first two calves for our family's cattle operation so I am excites either way!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

branson.m.

Jeferin said:
Our more exciting matings-

Silveiras Style 9303 out of a BC Lookout daughter.

Boardwalk out of a Northern Improvement daughter.

Can't wait.

Anyone have any Style calves in the past? Frame size???

I have used Style and im happy to tell you that the calves are great, I used him on one of my Heat Seeker cows trying to get some functionality and maternal value and the results were very impressive. First off all I was expecting some Angus influenced calves and wow i was very wrong, the calves are thick, deep and very impressive and do not lack muscle(expected from angus) at first i was bumbed couse I flushed her to Style and i got two bull calves but my mind was soon changed these bull calves are gonna be great steers.. I have seen Style used on Purebred Angus cows and once again super dimension, great muscle and wow are they great profiling. So im sure this scenario will work great Lookout usually always hits. Ill be taking some pictures very soon, il be happy to send you them if you give me your email. As far as frame size on track soo far, but still to early to tell.

jbzdad

some purchased embryos from Hartman out of sooner

two Fear this daughters bred to Statesman

a purebred GVC cow bred to Top Shelf

these will all be 3/4 or more maine... hoping for girls

have a big blue heifer kept  to use as a recip... bred to I-80... this could be a very nice surprise.. probably would make a really nice steer

rkmn

Grand Slam on a Midas cow. (Hereford)
Eagle Eye on a Legend. (Angus)
Grizz on a Maximizer (Sim Angus)

Thinking about the calves is was shortens up the winter in the Midwest.

justintime

Calving season is always an exciting time for me. I have a number of ET calves arriving both here, and in a cooperator herd in Minnesota. The ET matings include a real variety of matings. We put a bunch of Saskvalley Pioneer 126P embryos in, in both places. Pioneer never lets us down and some of our best calves from either sex are from him every year. We also have 6 Waco X Lily 504L calves coming ( from a flush purchased at Duis Farms). We put in 6 and have 6 calves coming. It should be interesting to see what we get from these. I still have 6 more of these in my inventory. We also have Pheasant Creek Leader 4th X Six S Leah 55L ETs coming as well as some Timeline X SBR Dora 228. (BTW, Six S Leah gave us 25 grade 1 embryos by Timeline yesterday. That makes 377 grade 1 embryos so far with no sign of slowing down. She is like the Eveready rabbit!)
I am even more excited about our natural calves coming this year. We used HC Timeline 17T on 32 females , and are anxiously awaiting their arrival. We will also get our first calf crops from Shadybrook Perfection and HC Bar Code 16X. Perfection was the senior herd sire at Shadybrook for two years and I have always liked him. Bar Code was used on all our heifers as well as a few cows. He is a Leader 4th son out of Red Sue and he had a 75 lb BW. He has developed into a smooth made, thick, well balanced bull. Also our last Major Leroy natural matings will arrive and they are always excellent calves. It was a very sad day here when we had to send Major Leroy to town. He was 10 years old but a badly injured foot ended his career here. A herd bull that I will remember as one of the best ever used here.  

happyrock

Used Belmore Jackaroo on 4 pretty good females this past spring. 2 Daughters of Northern Legend, 1 daughter of Eionmor Mr. Gus 80C, and a Daughter of Poplar Park Mist 4R.

Have a nice Red cow from Mandalong Super Flag carrying the service of Hatfield Governor.

Most of the females of Northern Legend breeding are Bred to Ultrawash, a red bull whose mother is a Model of a cow from Muridale Buster.

March sure seems like to long time to wait for these rascals.

HR

OH Breeder

happyrock said:
Used Belmore Jackaroo on 4 pretty good females this past spring. 2 Daughters of Northern Legend, 1 daughter of Eionmor Mr. Gus 80C, and a Daughter of Poplar Park Mist 4R.

Have a nice Red cow from Mandalong Super Flag carrying the service of Hatfield Governor.

Most of the females of Northern Legend breeding are Bred to Ultrawash, a red bull whose mother is a Model of a cow from Muridale Buster.

March sure seems like to long time to wait for these rascals.

HR

THinking about them as some else said seems to make those January nights pass little quicker.  ;D

Shadow Hill Farm

I have to say this is an awesome topic!  (clapping)
We have 2 that I'm super excited about both are registered Angus cows.
1st is Dameron Maid 547 (AKA Raven) due in March to Point Taken. She is an awesome cow and should be great combo!  
2nd is IMC Heather 8065 (AKA Chloe) due in March to S A V Pioneer 7301. This is another one of our best cows and mating of this bull should be an excellent combo.

I already have the bulls lined up for next years breeding too  (lol). Feel free to check us out on Facebook as well. We are small right now but slowly expanding with 5 to bred next year and I'm sure we will by a bred cow too after we sell the calves.  
https://www.facebook.com/SHFA21

nate53

I'm pretty excited about several!
A couple Rob Sneed heifers bred to Captain Obvious.
Captain daughter bred to RS 031.
Couple Matlocks bred to Lakeside Ripper (Sue mentioned)
Sydgen commercial heifers bred to Captain and a Garden PrimesStar son.
More black red combinations! :)

Simmgal

I bred one of my best cows to Built Right, and she is going to have a heifer calf around January 1st. I also bred a good deep heifer that needs some width to Cut Above that should have some style if she's anyting like her dam. That calf will help me decide if I use Cut Above on some of my other cows. Also, I have some pretty good embryos that will be going in on the 21st and a set in April that I got from a sale last year. I'll just be happy to get live calves to show at the fair, and it's rewarding after searching for the perfect bull for months!  ;D

Shorthorns4us

I have excitement bubbling in 2 categories:  Embryos and Natural

Embryos cooking:  I was able to purchase from Grant-- Pheasant Creek Leader 4th x Six S Leah-- very excited about these-- hoping for heifers

Natural:  All of my heifers that I covered with Lead Outside the Box-- TPS Coronet Leader son--  I covered him on the following bloodlines-- Saskvalley Pioneer, Muridale Buster 14K, Buffalo Creek Cherokee Canyon, Sabre, Jakes Proud Jazz, GFS Creole and Gold Rush
I actually again am hoping for all replacement quality heifers. 
Check out Lead Outside the Box on our web page:  www.fordfamilyshorthorns.com
Just a little plug there-- LOL

Emily

DRB

My most anticipated matings:

1) Can't wait to see what my 4 Rob Sneed heifers have - some could be Captain Obvious AI or natural to my Bonanza son Little Joe 96W.
2) Muridale Estill 69W (Bonanza daughter) x Muridale Little Joe (Bonanza son)
Hoping for a solid linebred herd bull out of this 1/2 brother 1/2 sister mating, Estill's Buster 2nd bull calf this year is an excellent specimen.

3) And any of the rest of my natural bred Little Joe calves - the two 2011 heifers I have are chunks!

David

aandtcattle

sue said:
My favorite matings   that I dont own:

Matlock Sassy Claire x Lakeside ripper (Galbreth/shadymaple)
                                   Matlock Sherry x Lakeside ripper (   Nathan & kayla's)
                                   Matlock Sabrina x Lakeside ripper (nathan & kayla's)
                                   329's dam x Captain ( Rob sneed's)
                                   Lily 006 x 031 ( nathan & kayla's)
                                   What ever A&T Renegade's full sister is bred to...

I stacked it up at Lakeside  so it is either going work on bust!

Funny you should mention A&T Renegade's full sister, she is the 028 female mentioned in my first post on this thread.  She is safe to Rawhide, which is her maternal brother.  I am going to build one that has more 244 blood in it than 244 has herself!  (lol)

kfacres

aandtcattle said:
sue said:
I am going to build one that has more 244 blood in it than 244 has herself!  (lol)

It is do-able, with enough generations and time... I've done it myself with injecting more actual blood of that grandparent, than direct offspring would have.  Sometimes I think that if that particular animal you're gearing to linebreed around was good enough- then by having an animal 75-80% of that one.. is better than being that particular animal... WHY, b/c it's got a greater % of where the great came from in the great one...

Why?  It's in the genetic kick... What really works, is if you take that linebred one (say the offspring of the mating you speak of), and breed it back to something that has the kick of what made 244 great close up- but has a little bit of outcross... (IE, maternal sister to 244 with an outcross grandparent) 

That 'il work...

ruhtram

jphelps said:
Cruiser said:
jphelps said:

Im hoping! But it will be her first calf( in case you can't tell by the breeding) so a live one is a good one in my book, it also will be one of the two first two calves for our family's cattle operation so I am excites either way!                                                                                                                                                                                                                             

Its always exciting starting/building your own herd. Best of luck!

vet tech

JDM said:
I've gotta full sib to F22 due to Eye Candy in mid march. Hope for LIVE BULL.

Do you have a picture of this cow? I think F22, along with Hairietta, are my two favorite cows on the planet. I have a full flush x F22 coming and I am hoping its a heifer!

I also have...
Multiple Walks Alone x 3D x Hairietta pregs coming. From 2 different 3D x Hairietta daughters.
Fortune and Glory x Sugar Babe (3D x Hairietta)
Hoo Bear x M51 from Boysel and Kroupa
Solid Gold x Yellow Jacket's full sister
Heat Wave x Mimms 899
Heat wave x Kroupa/Mimms 043
Walks Alone x Devotion ( My Irish Whiskey x Angus Donor)
Walks Alone x Laura ( Fire Cracker x Huberdale Lora) She won her Div in L'ville
Heat Waves from F20. lot 9 in Sweetheart sale a few years back. Shes an Alias x M51