Where eat in denver

Help Support Steer Planet:

red

Whoa there GaryBob, I have no idea where that came from. Cowz has always spoken w/ great respect to me about Hispanics. Please try to tone it down.

Red

cowz

showcattlegal said:
You guys have had mexican food untill you have had it in new mexico. Everybody says its even better then in mexico.

You are definitely right about that, kid!  You do have the best "hispanic" food in the world in New Mex.  We stopped in Albuquerque last month and ate at Marisco's (sp?) on I40 and Coors Blvd.  It was great.  We have had Maria's in Santa Fe and a really great place in Silver City.

If you have never heard a mariachi band...the best I have ever heard is at Marisco's. 

Showcattlegal,  where is the best place in Gallup or Grants?

DLD

I'll agree with that, too. The best I've ever had was in Alamogordo... I can't remember the name of the place, but you can bet I can find it again when/if I ever get that way again.

showcattlegal

We in Gallup you have a lot to chose from. Do you want really hot or do you want where you can eat it with out crying lol? Jerry's Cafe is a lil hole in the wall place but it has the best mexican food. The other really good place that has hotter chile is Don Diegos. Grants theres a new Travel center and it had a Cafe called kiva and it has some good food. theres one other place there but i can't think of the name of it. Next time your in Albuquerque eat at Gardunos its really good too.

kimbaljd

Not to throw down a gauntlet or anything, but if you want to eat some real good mexican food. Come on down to Houston. More places to eat good and authentic mexican food than you can shake a stick at.

knabe

garybob said:
Y'all's French, Polish, German, Czech, Swedish, Danish,Italian and Norwegian ancestors didn't learn English, past the "survival English" level, but their children did. Nothing has changed.In those close-knit Ranching and farming towns with VERY "ethinic" names in the affore-mentioned languages, your proud, European ancestors hung together, spoke their old, native language, had their own mini-economies, and didn't learn to read English (I'm sure their children always translated for them, as the succeeding generation attended public schools) for DECADES. Many of these people NEVER attempted to mater the English language, proudly and defiantly, until the day they died.

my great grandfather on my father's sid and his kin (full blood danish) felt it their duty to learn english, both reading and writing.  they were not close knit and gave freely to the community, particlualrly on sunday's when ANYONE could and did come to the table including gypsies, runners from the law.  on my mother's side, who were germans, much the same way about the language and the contempt for close knit by country of origin segregation, though some disregard for darker skinned bretheren.  my families came from a long line of what held communities together was commerce, commpassion and civility.  i am against anyone of any culture never learning the language and imposing it on the country through government, ie non-english speaking documentation when the law of the land to vote is to have a working knowledge of english.

that said, anything with cabeza in it is awesome.

Telos

Ok, I'm going to be serious.  One of my favorite places to eat is at the NWSS.  That German stand right before you go down into the Yards on top of the hill. Their pit is actually hanging from chains like a giant wheel with charcoal or wood burning below. Homemade German sausage with kraut and some good mustard. The pork is awesome too. It's hard to beat.

Since I'm in the food business I always like to go to one of the new restaurants that have had a good write up. There are truly some very good restaurants, but it really doesn't matter as long as you are in good company with friends or family. That is really what makes any place good.

garybob

DLD said:
GB, that one came outta left field...  ???

Cowz, my trip to Denver's never quite complete if I don't make it to Bennets. Of course, we usually stay in one of the motels near there.

Oh, and btw I love Mexican food, too. I think maybe some folks don't quite understand that the Mexican culture has always been a big part of the southwestern U.S., since long before it became the U.S.
DLD, CowZ, Everybody,

I have said the very same thing about Hispanic culture always being present (heck, predominant) in the Southwest (All the way up to Montana and Utah). This includes Spanish and "Spanglish" being spoken in these ZIP Codes. I think you guys never really read any of my posts.

I apologize, especially to CowZ. So many of you guys on here blasted the McDonald's near the NWSS Grounds for not serving gravy with fries. Many on here, on the same earlier thread, started ranting about "English only Spoken Here", etc, etc,etc. When the subject of where to eat in Denver was discussed, I got mixed up as to who posted what, and, hurt your feelings by posting a response to earlier threads.This made no sense, and, I'm sorry. I should have took the extra time to go back to the "gravy with your fries" thread, and, went from there. I don't know what else to say.

Last summer, I visited a Frat Brother, who now lives in Bemidji, MN. "Dodds-ey" is a "Rep" for MN Farm Bureau. He took me around all "His" Counties. I was in several little towns, and, Pepsi and Coke, and Cenex/LandO'Lakes were the only English words spoken in one place, in particular. Polka Music was playing in the Convenience/Supply Store. I am accustomed to Bluegrass, Hard-Core Country, and Classic Rock/Heavy Metal, where I come from. Did I balk at the "strangeness"? NO! I have long accepted the fact that there is no such thing as "typical" US Citizens.

Sincerely apologetic,

GB

Telos

I'm only going to forgive you because I usually like your posts. Might even try and read that book you suggested. It really takes a man to apologize.  (clapping)

I'm just grateful there are people willing to work for next to no money. I still like to eat cheap. 

DLD

Thanks for the clarification GB. I thought maybe there was some confusion (I know I was confused anyway - lol). Guess I missed the gravy on fries at McD's discussion, so I was lost.

red

Good deal Gary bob! Just take a deep breath next time.
Did you see I posted a new picture of the barn kitten? She's still ruling the barns.

Red

aj

The thing about the immigration issue is that people always seem to forget the little word (illegal). Words mean things. I am for legal imigration and against illegal imigration. O0

garybob

aj said:
The thing about the immigration issue is that people always seem to forget the little word (illegal). Words mean things. I am for legal imigration and against illegal imigration. O0
(quote) Seriously, English is not, by Law, our "official Language".It was never the intention of our forefathers to declare one. French is still spoken in the Swamplands of southern Louisiana. They even still celebrate "Mardi Gras" down there. Nobody takes issue with that. Perogies on Christmas Eve? That's a FAR cry from Turkey'N Dressing. There are many subcultures within our borders. It's just a fact.
Why, ladies and gents, do so many people get more RILED UP over a Li'l Spanish, than they would a Hard-doing cow or Hard-calving Bull? It's Hispanic influence that laid the foundation for dang-near everything associated with the Cattle Industry. From our Hats to our Boots, to the Saddles and Tack we use! Whether y'uns want to admit it, or, not, pay attention the next time you register that purty li'l foal. You'll probably be writing down a Spanish word to designate Color or Markings (ie, Overro, Grulla,etc).

GB

knabe

garybob said:
      Seriously, English is not, by Law, our "official Language".It was never the intention of our forefathers to declare one. French is still spoken in the Swamplands of southern Louisiana.
GB

functional english is the law to obtain citizenship.  the founding fathers were xenophobic, this list includes washington, jefferson, franklin, hamilton, locke, madison and many others.  this is explicitly why they made property owners the only ones to vote because they understood that pure democracy would undermine the country.  a populace that finds out it can simply vote for handouts based on numbers alone will soon perish.  we are almost there.  40% don't pay federal income tax.  with a fair tax, it's going to be even more.  with 40 million illegals given the right to vote, it's going to happen fast.  imagine clamoring for a minimum wage increase so a job at mddonalds will pay for a house.  this was a job kids used to do living at home, NOT SUPPORTING A FAMILY.  IT WAS A CURB ON BEHAVIOR TO HAVE WAGES THIS LOW NOT TO HAVE KIDS AND INCREASE THE POVERTY ROLES, THE STRAIN ON EDUCATION ETC, THE 6 BILLION DOLLARS MORE REQUESTED BY THE CALIFORNIA LEGISLATURE FOR SPECIAL NEEDS SPANISH SPEAKING ONLY CHILDREN WHO FOR SOME REASON CAN'T BE TAUGHT IN ENGLISH LIKE EVERY GENERATION BEFORE THEM AS THEIR PARENTS SUPPOSEDLY WON'T LEARN ENGLISH.  THE PROVEN FASTET WAY TO DO THIS IS TEACH IN ENGLISH WHEN THEY ARE YOUNG.  COME TO CALIFORNIA BEFORE IT COMES TO YOU, THEN DECIDE.  WE ARE 16 BILLION IN DEBT NOW AND THEY WANT 6 BILLION ALONE JUST TO TEACH ENGLISH.  IF YOU DON'T THINK WE ARE IN TROUBLE, PLEASE COME TO CALIFORNIA AND SEE FOR YOURSELF.

THINK ABOUT THIS 1/4 OF MEXICO IS IN THE UNITED STATES AND IS MORE THAN 10% OF THE COUNTRY TODAY.  THIS IS BALKANIZATION AT THIS RATE.  LEGAL IMMIGRATION HAS ALWAYS BEEN ABOUT ASSIMILATION AND LEARNING THE HISTORY OF THE US, NOT IGNORING IT AND DEMANDING SERVICES IN ANOTHER LANGUAGE.

WHAT A COMPLETE CROCK OF UNSUSTAINABLE ECONOMIC PONZI SCHEME NONSENSE.

TJ

Back to the orginal subject... nobody on this board has been to Emil Lenes?  ??? 

aj

I think one thing about immigration today is that we don't have wilderness area's to open up like we did in the 1800's or whatever. In the early days chinese and irish imigrants from the potato famine situation came to the u.s. Something like 20% of the irish boatloads died in the boats or on the america shores. These immigrants didn't jump into welfare programs because there were none. They migrated west and built railroads and did whatever was needed to do to survive. There were irish gangs in new york city that would rival the gang bangers today. But they didn't have benifit packages like they do today. Mexico claimed land clear up to bent's fort in say 1830's on the Arkansas river in colorado. I realize that. It just seems to me the upside of immigration isn't there anymore.Why accept criminals by looking the other way on the borders. I would rather see doctors or engineers come in. Nothing will ever be done about it know because of the race card factor and political correctness. It is kinda interesting to the liberals talk about how terrible it is to live in capitalist u.s.a.. But people are trying to break into here not get out. jmo not trying to stir up trouble ;)

garybob

aj said:
I think one thing about immigration today is that we don't have wilderness area's to open up like we did in the 1800's or whatever. In the early days chinese and irish imigrants from the potato famine situation came to the u.s. Something like 20% of the irish boatloads died in the boats or on the america shores. These immigrants didn't jump into welfare programs because there were none. They migrated west and built railroads and did whatever was needed to do to survive. There were irish gangs in new york city that would rival the gang bangers today. But they didn't have benifit packages like they do today. Mexico claimed land clear up to bent's fort in say 1830's on the Arkansas river in colorado. I realize that. It just seems to me the upside of immigration isn't there anymore.Why accept criminals by looking the other way on the borders. I would rather see doctors or engineers come in. Nothing will ever be done about it know because of the race card factor and political correctness. It is kinda interesting to the liberals talk about how terrible it is to live in capitalist u.s.a.. But people are trying to break into here not get out. jmo not trying to stir up trouble ;)
AJ,

Who says they're all criminals?

Just a Question,

GB

red

let's get back on the topic of food & not immigration. It's a heated subject & really not one for this topic.

What is the favorite foods to eat at the show it's self? I know at Louisville we always look forward to the Kentucky Cat Fish growers booth. Their catfish is great! Does the NWSS have any good places? At the Dairy Expo it's the cream puffs! Oh my gosh, they are good!

Also for those going to Ft Worth, I bet Telos can tell you some good places.

Red

Jill

I haven't really been impressed with any of the NWSS food and it is heavily overpriced, they do have a frozen margarita booth that's pretty tasty.

cowz

I try not to eat on the grounds....have spent many a day warming my hands on a crockpot down in the yards! 

I have never been to Emil Lenes.  It is way out of town, kind of a pain to get to.

Do any of you from the midwest remember a fair vendor called Tubby's?  Back in the day, we loved showing at the South Dakota, North Dakota, Minn. shows because of a cholesterol bomb called a Tubby burger!