Which BULL TO USE??

Help Support Steer Planet:

Cattle Cards

Muddy Creek Show Cattle said:
Carlson Cattle said:
just like you said i need to pick the bull to chsnge my show career but i dont know what that bull is.....
Love the stories....but I think it should be said that the bull is only half the equation. Its take a helluva cow to compete at a state/national level.

You might have missed one of my earlier posts:
The number one breeder of World Champion Halter Horses in the AQHA (grew up showing steers in the Midwest) got where he is today because he has assembled approx. 40 top cookie cutter mares.  He has had a number of stallions over the years yet no matter what he bred those mares to, he raised, showed and sold Champions.  He even "made" some stallions by the quality of his mares.  He didn't do it overnight but he did get there and he's only now in the prime of his life.  He has a good eye, patience and conviction.

hntwhitetail

Carlson Cattle said:
just like you said i need to pick the bull to chsnge my show career but i dont know what that bull is.....

Make sure you breed for "power"

leanbeef

Carlson Cattle said:
i dont really need a homerun.. I just dont want a strikeout

Hitting a home run is a pretty big challenge. Avoiding a strike out isn't all THAT difficult. If you practice the fundamentals of the game. Don't make it more complicated than it has to be.

Warrior10

Cattle Cards said:
Muddy Creek Show Cattle said:
Carlson Cattle said:
Love the stories....but I think it should be said that the bull is only half the equation. Its take a helluva cow to compete at a state/national level.

You might have missed one of my earlier posts:
The number one breeder of World Champion Halter Horses in the AQHA (grew up showing steers in the Midwest) got where he is today because he has assembled approx. 40 top cookie cutter mares.  He has had a number of stallions over the years yet no matter what he bred those mares to, he raised, showed and sold Champions.  He even "made" some stallions by the quality of his mares.  He didn't do it overnight but he did get there and he's only now in the prime of his life.  He has a good eye, patience and conviction.
'
Yup, I missed it. Great example!

Stargell8

It's nothing but a crap shoot Carlson.I bred 5 heifers to I80 wanted heifers got all bulls.Bred 3 cows to Walks Alone wanted bulls got all heifers. I personally like
One and Only, a new bull to try might be that Maternal Perfection bull from Rodgers. Good luck and keep trying.

leanbeef

Carlson Cattle said:
i just need good enough to say win a county fair

Nobody can tell you, "Use this bull and you'll win." I don't know where you are in the world, or who's close to you who is a good cattle breeder whose program you respect. Make a short list of people you'd like to visit or ask questions. Call and tell them you're impressed with their program, and you'd like to see their cattle and visit about their program. Most breeders will be glad to show your their cow herd and talk about their breeding program. If you can't go visit them, invite them to lunch if you ever get the chance. Or just call them on the phone if you can't arrange to meet with them. Know what questions you want to ask and have a short, clear agenda. I think you'll learn more and get more useful information if you had a mentor close enough to knows the basics of your program and knows where you want to do...somebody to point you in the right direction and help guide your decisions until you feel more comfortable and more confident in making some of those choices. There are just too many different ideas and opinions and agendas here to be able to gain a lot of direction or to know what information is best for your scenario. Focus on soundness and build on that foundation...you can always make em stouter, but the really sound ones can be the hardest to get around as long as they are adequate in other areas. Raise or buy the best calf you can, and then do your part to feed and grow and develop him to be the best he can be by the time show day rolls around.

obie105

I think from listening to you that you are in Iowa. Where are you from and maybe somebody from that area will take you under their wing?

Carlson Cattle

just so i know what to start will doing my reserch on. will you give me some bulls for my cows. thanks. i know that you already have thers just so much to go threw.

Cattle Cards

Carlson Cattle said:
i just need good enough to say win a county fair

Buying semen won't win you the County Fair.  You've been given recommendations.  You need to do the work.  And that starts with nutrition, breaking, fitting, conditioning and a little luck.

Cattle Cards

Carlson Cattle said:
still have to have the calf or breaking fitting all that doesent matter

You missed the point.  Even if we could all magically give you the perfect mating.  And even if you have a live calf with the right parts.  There's a lot more to it.  You're obsessed with finding the perfect bull.  And the next day it's another perfect bull.  And then another.  You've got to begin to look at the whole picture.

Barry Farms

If they are both TH free I would say Man Among Boys for steers but if theyre carriers, I80 becuase he will give you a fancy steer or heifer but it may lack power.

CAB

Good morning Carlson Cattle. Did you try to get down to the bull studs this weekend and take a look @ the bulls in person? You can't be an hour away from either Nichols or Hawkeye, can you? I think it would be a trip worth taking as soon as possible. There are a lot of bulls in both studs right now.

leanbeef

If you're that close to two bull studs, you should DEFINITELY go see the bulls in person! And if you're not comfortable knowing what you're looking at to make a decision based on that, then invite somebody with you who knows about cattle...ESPECIALLY somebody who knows about soundness and structure, and preferably something about showing steers, but that part would be secondary to me. If somebody really knows cattle, that's more important than somebody who has shown a steer or two. Most people who enjoy cattle would enjoy a road trip like that, and it's a GREAT opportunity for you to visit and ask as many questions as you want.