Which BULL TO USE??

Help Support Steer Planet:

Cattle Cards

leanbeef said:
If you're that close to two bull studs, you should DEFINITELY go see the bulls in person! And if you're not comfortable knowing what you're looking at to make a decision based on that, then invite somebody with you who knows about cattle...ESPECIALLY somebody who knows about soundness and structure, and preferably something about showing steers, but that part would be secondary to me. If somebody really knows cattle, that's more important than somebody who has shown a steer or two. Most people who enjoy cattle would enjoy a road trip like that, and it's a GREAT opportunity for you to visit and ask as many questions as you want.

He's about 90 minutes from Hawkeye and I've already suggested it.  I've also suggested he test all his suspect cattle fot PHA/TH, a $37.50 test from Pfizer (blood or hair).  Both suggestion would help tremendously, right!

Skibinski Farms

Go to igenity.com you can order a kit of how ever many samples you may need. the kit will tell you exactly how to pull the hair and you can send it in. It takes about 3-4 weeks to get your results. I believe it costs around $25 to test for TH and PHA I'm not sure on that though. On bulls I would go with Amen or Simple Math. I understand where you want to know right now the exact bull that will click with your cows I've been down that road as I am new to Ai'ing myself. The method I have done is by going to cattle shows and studying the cattle. Find a few that you like and go talk to the people that own the calf. See what the breeding is on the calf and try to relate that back to your livestock. For you as a youngster trial and error is going to happen until you figure out exactly what you want in your herd. BUT if I was you I would go with something TH and PHA free just to be safe, make sure you got a live calf and no train wrecks. Not every calf is going to win or come out exactly perfect. Another bull I would consider is Shiver, I used him on my heatwave, monopoly type cows and have done exceptionally well with them. He is also TH and PHA free and calving ease, this way you dont have to be up all night watching over them. thats my 2 cents

leanbeef

I don't know a lot about the club calf deal, but I do like the Simple Math bull. A couple buddies I've talked to who know more about that deal than i do seem to like him, too. I think that's a pretty safe move.

leanbeef

New Showman said:
So will simple math sire good steers or is he more of a maternal type deal?

I think the general consensus is that his daughters are better than the steers. The steers are not bad, but I don't think as competitive as some of the big league club calf sires. That's prob why I like him...I think he's more production-oriented and not as terminal. Which makes him safer to use, especially from a structural point of view. Imhaven't actually seen calves out of him...my opinion is based on what I've put together talking to three other people...one who likes the pedigree, one impartial guy who has seen some calves somewhere, and one of the owners of the bull.

Skibinski Farms

I would say maternal,  but that don't mean he cant throw a good steer.  The rocky balboa calf Carlson pictured out of the heatwave cow, IMO is a good calf, I would not judge a calf so quickly, you will be surprised by how they turn out in the end. YOU just got to put the time and work in on the calf each and everyday! For a heatwave cow, I would be happy that you get a live, healthy calf every time. Is it going to win a national show? probably not... is it going to win a county show? maybe? who knows, but the fact that you have a project to work with i would be happy with your results. We can tell you any bull in the book could work, but will it really? YOU have to decide, plus I think that's what makes this business so much fun!!! Take pride in what you got, I wouldn't necessarily believe everything you read or see (pictures) every cow/calf/bull is different, they will breed different and its your choice which route you want to gamble in the club calf world.   GOOD LUCK!  <rock>

Barry Farms

For a maternal bull, Tool. His full brother Whiplash was supposed to be a better maternal sire than 734 himself! He is 1/2 simm 1/4 maine 1/4 angus. And he might throw youre heat wave cow a red calf which I like.
http://www.cattlevisions.com/Composite/WRCC_TOOL.php

Carlson Cattle

i would like to go with a more proven bull. but thanks i just really diddent like my red cow but turns out shes pritty good