which two heifers would you keep? New pics of 2 and 3 and parentage

Help Support Steer Planet:

BuckeyeBeef2

3 is the best, style power, and jus over, seems to be the better of the four.  2 is my second pick but, she may go downhill a little bit in that top line, which could make that a lttle unbalanced but hard to tell with the picture.  1 is very cowy...could produce some nice steers......maybe, the whole front end is the concerning part...and in my opinion...the only thing that isnt plain about her is that she is red.  The 4th one, in my opinion, jus seems to be too feminine.....but in my opinion, Get rid of 3 and ill buy her off of you  (lol) but on a serious note, i would keep 3 and 2.  I dont think that 3's birthweight should hurt anything

heatherleblanc

One thing to keep in mind in the commercial end of things, not quite sure how the club calves compare, but with commercials, as long as they can pop out the calf by them self, they are good to go.

If an animal has a 60 lb calf, but it has to be pulled, that's no good.
BUT, if an animal has a 130 lb calf, and pops it out all by herself like it was coated in butter, then you've got one damn good cow, and that calf has a head start when it comes to growing between now and the fall.  So for me, I don't care about the weight itself that much. CALVING EASE IS THE BIG THING!!

With that in mind, I do really like the number 3 heifer, but if she was that hard calving, and if you DO decide to keep her, just make sure its a very light birth weigh, easy calving bull.  And it's a toss up between 1 and 2, I'd probably like 2 more, but it's hard to tell from the picture.

jaimiediamond

I am not a club calf producer, so I can't offer advice on which two I would keep with that purpose in mind!

I like the first 3 heifers pictured the most.  If I were to be picking which ones to keep it would be based on pelvic measurements, dams production and dams structure, sire and sire's maternal line from that point on.  On photos alone I like 3-2-1-4.

1) the red heifer has a lot of positive points for me, she has length, and adequate muscle.  Her front is short and deep which means easy fleshing ability this has been from my personal experience working in a commercial herd and in a purebred program.  You had stated that you were aiming for club calves so the question would be could she be the dam of fancy fronted calves? I somehow doubt it but she does have the makings of a pretty fantastic cow that likely won't know a skinny day.
index.php

2) the smoke heifer has more volume at this time, as well as more eye appeal then the red heifer.  With that said we can't honestly see her overall structure in this picture, she appears to be a thicker made heifer then the red but as the picture is poor it is hard to see her front, leg and whether or not she cuts up in the flank or behind the shoulder
index.php

3) The black white marks heifer is my favorite as she has large amount wow factor.  You can see from this picture she is wide over the top, and has a muscle pattern that carries smoothly into her lower quarter.  Again this is a poor picture to evaluate structure and it raises concerns about her shoulder which appears large and that she drops behind the shoulder.  I recognize I am looking at a front angle photo with her head down.... 

With her being a hard assist one question I would have is she out of a cow or heifer? Regardless I think the pelvic exam is highly important for her  as she will throw 50% of the potential calf and if she has a smaller pelvis and the calf gets her shoulders you may have a difficult time calving her out. 
index.php

mainegirl

I would have to agree with "jamiediamond" 2 and 3 were definitely my picks. What's the bredding behind these calves? Using a calving ease sire will help with your BW concerns, but knowing the breeding and pelvic measurement will be greatly beneficial. I usually look back at the heifer's dam breeding and calving history and if possible even the granddam. And then of course the sire's breeding. But just from the pics I would say those 2 would be great for clubby type breeding. :)

vc

I would first want to know the breeding on all 4 and look at the cows they came out of before I made any selections. I really like the 3rd heifer, 1 and 2 would be a decide when it is time deal, standing next to each other with their head up might make it allot easier, 4 would probably make a good cow, maybe not a club calf cow, but a cow.

misty

I have added a couple of better pics and the
parentage of the top two heifers the other two
are out of maine angus cows.