who and why

Help Support Steer Planet:

linnettejane

(email i received today)

This lady has a point. 

Obama's 143 Days of Senate Experience
Posted by Cheri Jacobus
May 5, 2008 at 5:35 pm

Just how much Senate experience does Barack Obama have in terms of actual work days? Not much.

From the time Barack Obama was sworn in as a United State Senator, to the time he announced he was forming a Presidential exploratory committee, he logged 143 days of experience in the Senate. That's how many days the Senate was actually in session and working.

After 143 days of work experience, Obama believed he was ready to be Commander In Chief, Leader of the Free World, and fill the shoes of Abraham Lincoln, FDR, JFK and Ronald Reagan.

143 days -- I keep leftovers in my refrigerator longer than that.

In contrast, John McCain's 26 years in Congress, 22 years of military service including 1,966 days in captivity as a POW in Hanoi now seem more impressive than ever. At 71, John McCain may just be hitting his stride.

Think about IT!!!

BIGTEX

linnettejane said:
(email i received today)

This lady has a point. 

Posted by Cheri Jacobus

Just how much Senate experience does Barack Obama have in terms of actual work days? Not much.

From the time Barack Obama was sworn in as a United State Senator, to the time he announced he was forming a Presidential exploratory committee, he logged 143 days of experience in the Senate. That's how many days the Senate was actually in session and working.

After 143 days of work experience, Obama believed he was ready to be Commander In Chief, Leader of the Free World, and fill the shoes of Abraham Lincoln, FDR, JFK and Ronald Reagan.

In contrast, John McCain's 26 years in Congress, 22 years of military service including 1,966 days in captivity as a POW in Hanoi now seem more impressive than ever. At 71, John McCain may just be hitting his stride.

Think about IT!!!

DITTO!

chambero

Actually, all of the candidates are pretty smart folks (both parties) that get torn to shreds by our process now.

I think McCain is a pretty good man.  You gotta be smart to even get in a service academy and pretty tough and hard working to come out the other side as an officer.  Not to mention what he actually did in the service.  In reality, he's pretty hard to fault.

As I get older, I find myself leaning a little more toward the democratic side on some issues, but just can't get past Obama's background and name. 

It would have been a harder choice for me believe it or not if Hillary had won the nomination (can't believe I said that).  She's pretty darn smart whether you agree with everything or not.  I actually like how she handled herself losing and thnk a little more of her now. 

I wish all of these candidates would just wing it a little more and tell people what they really stand for and think instead of just what the party heads tell them.  Problem is you can't get there without. 

I hate it that our best leaders don't want the job anymore (i.e. Collin Powell).  Its because you don't get to lead from that job anymore.  Bush tried to lead and follow his own ideas and look where he wound up. 

knabe

i haven't voted for repub or dem for president in my life.

i voted for anderson, larouche, nader, perot etc.  the two party system is not mandated by the constitution and was basically started by jefferson against washington and adams with madison (i can't remember) as his front man.  it's pretty amazing that they held a friendship  all those years after their animosity, where, upon the fifteeith anniversary of the declarartion of independence, jefferson died first, then adams.  in my mind, calling jefferson a republican is blasphemy.

even more amazing, monroe also died on july 4, 5 years later.

oakbar

I'll be voting for McCain although I don't think he's that strong of a candidate.   I know many of you have said that you're voting for the lesser of two evils and I guess that's what I'm doing too!   I've often said that I have yet to vote in a presidential election where I would rather have cast my vote for "none of the above" and never has that been more true than this year.  

IMHO I really have some serious fears about our country right now.   At one time I heard it said that we were the "Big Brother to the world"  meaning that our military would help protect those smaller countries and not let dictators, etc. treat them unfairly.   Unfortunately, I think we've become the "Patsy to the world" in recent years and not only provide military assistance that is more and more costly but then we pump billions into other economies while ours heads south.  Meanwhile we let millions cross our borders and basically steal our money through services that they have not paid for and should not recieve.   Can you imagine what would happen if all the illegal aliens got organized and chose not to work for a couple of weeks and what it would do to our overall economy.   What if the oil producing countries all got together and said let's just not ship any oil to the U.S. for the next couple of months at the same time.    Our enemies don't have to have bigger guns than us--if they ever get organized our economy is toast and IMO we're not far from it right now.   As the dollar weakens, more and more foreign money is flowing into our country to buy up real estate and to prop up US businesses who are having financial problems.   Do we really think those people are all primarily interested in helping out the US or do they have their own agendas in mind.   Meanwhile we let Greenpeace, PETA, and the like determine what our laws are and what we can and can't do with our farms and businesses.
Why the heck can't we tap our oil and natural gas resources by drilling??   The liberals and Bush haters are quick to point out how much the war costs each family in the US but you know I've never seen a number given for the cost of doing business according to the rules that the "Wacko" groups have dictated.   Think how much money each of us would save if we could tap our own energy sources, build our own refineries, actually use something plastic if we want to, and the list goes on and on.  Governments were designed to serve the "greater good" which means the needs of the masses--not protect the rights of a few who generally are not satisfied no matter how much they are given by the government.   A tree can only support as much as its roots can provide nourishment and stability!   The patriotic, loyal American tax payer can only support so much and I think we're reaching a tipping point with all the foreign aid, support for those who don't work, programs for people who live here but don't care enough to become actual citizens(taxpayers), and all the people who want to make excuses for all the "takers" whether they are individuals or other countries.

Sorry for my soap box rantings--but I am really concerned about the next few years in our country.   Remember, apathy gets more votes than any candidate in almost all elections!!

Davis Shorthorns

Well as a card carrying conservative I was really hoping that Fred Thompson would have made a better fight of it, but  Obama just scares the heck out of me, just like Mr. I mean Mrs. Clinton does.  I guess that I am going to vote for McCain.  Again lesser of two evils.

<hero>

JbarL

30deg 17&#039; 11.73 N 81deg 35&#039;59.94&q
mcain....because.......1)  i dont like change ...or even the talk of it      2)   i want all our kids to have to pay $3000. / yr for insurance ) just like we do...( we told them it was going to be tough out there)   3)  i like the way we went to war in iraq...it makes me feel safer, ............and i was especially glad to see women get to vote in irag as well,..... 4)  i'm a hillbilly....and they said on the tv news that all the hillbillies in west virgina and kentucky werent going to vote for obama cause he was black....5)  in lived in ohio for a long time.....i know alot of people there....ohio is the swing state for the whole election....so all the folks in the sate i used to live in ,  and all the hillbillies i'm related to, will decide the outcome of the next election.......calll me old fashion .....but if macain has all the '' feel good"  answers for those fine folks in  ohio and all the hillbillies in ky and WV..... then that's good enough for me.... jbarl

linnettejane

JbarL said:
mcain....because.......1)  i dont like change ...or even the talk of it      2)   i want all our kids to have to pay $3000. / yr for insurance ) just like we do...( we told if was going to be tough out there)   3)  i like the way we went to war in iraq...it makes me feel safer, ............and i was especially glad to see women get to vote in irag as well,..... 4)  i'm a hillbilly....and they said on the tv news that all the hillbillies in west virgina and kentucky werent going to vote for obama cause he was black....5)  in lived in ohio for a long time.....i know alot of people there....ohio is the swing state for the whole election....so all the folks in the sate i used to live in ,  and all the hillbillies i'm related to, will decide the outcome of the next election.......calll me old fashion .....but if macain has all the '' feel good"  answers for those fine folks in  ohio and all the hillbillies in ky and WV..... then that's good enough for me.... jbarl

i dont know whether to be offended or laugh....

(born, raised, and reside in wv and definitely NOT a hillbilly!!! :mad: )

and the reason im not voting for him has nothing to do with him being black...and probably everything to do with the fact i'm republican....

shortdawg

I will vote for McCain. I just can't fathom how anyone with any kind of Christian background could vote any other way.

JbarL

as a christian i cant phatham the fact that a  monument  of the 10 commandments isnt permitted on school/city/state/federal govermnement property ......, ...nor can i phatham the fact that  i have to sit through those uncofortable erectial disfunction tv  commercials while my daughters boyfriend is visiting .....but i dont hold any one particular  politicians christian  bacground  responsable for either one....or expect that any one politican can change either one in this election...on the ballot or not...jbarl

itk

If the democrats wanted to win this election all they had to do was run a white male. Any white male at all, that's how tired most of America is of the current presidency. The democratic party is truly in sad shape when they can't turn out at winning candidate under the current government conditions.

BIGTEX

knabe said:

i voted for anderson, larouche, nader, perot etc.  the two party system is not mandated by the constitution and was basically started by jefferson against washington and adams with madison (i can't remember) as his front man.  it's pretty amazing that they held a friendship  all those years after their animosity, where, upon the fifteeith anniversary of the declarartion of independence, jefferson died first, then adams.  in my mind, calling jefferson a republican is blasphemy.

Go ahead throw your vote away. (lol)

JbarL

itk said:
If the democrats wanted to win this election all they had to do was run a white male. Any white male at all, that's how tired most of America is of the current presidency. The democratic party is truly in sad shape when they can't turn out at winning candidate under the current government conditions.

so what you really mean is "  the democratic party is truly in sad shape when they can't turn out a "white male"  candidate under the current government conditions".
ii always thought the democratic nomonie was chosen by voting, and gathering each states delegates for a majority....hum...sure seems like alot of wasted money having all those elections when all they had to do was " apoint us a white man to vote for, like the republicans did"....the democrates and all there silly notions are doomed for sure now.....    jbarl

knabe

BIGTEX said:
knabe said:

there is no such thing as a wasted vote.  the tally for the losing candidate is not a requirement for a wasted vote.  if that were the case, voting for any losing candidate is a wasted vote, no matter how close the contest.  voting is about encouragement of participation.  i don't like either party, so i encourage others to participate with my vote.

as for drilling, i watched a rather extensive coverage of congress on cspan the other night.  what i can't figure out is why we aren't drilling on current leases.  based on personal knowledge on our ground, people are drilling more now, but what the increase is from a macro scale, i don't have an idea.  in other words, if we aren't drilling on 75% of the leases, why do we need anwar or the shelf?  there must be a reason we aren't getting yield from current leases.

BIGTEX

[/quote]

[/quote]

there is no such thing as a wasted vote.  the tally for the losing candidate is not a requirement for a wasted vote.  if that were the case, voting for any losing candidate is a wasted vote, no matter how close the contest.  voting is about encouragement of participation.  i don't like either party, so i encourage others to participate with my vote.

Knabe, finally something went over your head. Most of the time your talking way over mine. "Go ahead throw your vote away" is a quote from the Simpsons. I was just trying to be funny. Aparently it was a failed attempt. By the way I voted for Perot. I didn't know at the time that voting for  Perot was a vote for Clinton. (thumbsup)

knabe

BIGTEX said:

Knabe, finally something went over your head. Most of the time your talking way over mine. "Go ahead throw your vote away" is a quote from the Simpsons. I was just trying to be funny. Aparently it was a failed attempt. By the way I voted for Perot. I didn't know at the time that voting for  Perot was a vote for Clinton. (thumbsup)

[/quote]

Big Tex, i'm finding out more and more my head is frequently in the ground, so it's pretty easy to be over my head.  i'm a simpson watcher and i still missed it.

it's probably lost earlier in the thread, but i'd still like to know why we aren't drilling on 75% of our existing leases.  based on leases we own, i know why they aren't drilling some, but from a macro perspective all the leases can't be as bad as the one's we own (which is why i don't attend more sales).

redwingfarm

linnettejane said:
(email i received today)

This lady has a point. 

Posted by Cheri Jacobus

Think about IT!!!
I come from a family with many veterans even though I am not one, I have a great respect for our armed forces HOWEVER being in the military for a long time, a POW ect doesn't neccesarily make you a great potential president.  US Grant was one of our greatest military figures in all of our countries history and yet his presidency is consistently looked upon as one of the 10 worst in history,  Eisenhower was also a great military man but will never be considered a great president.
Also years of service in congress can also be misleading  Gerald Ford was in congress forever but really wasn't much of a president, same goes for G HW Bush -longtime in congress but still a poor president.  The best recent president by all historians is Reagan who was governor for a while but was for most of his carreer an actor, and yet he possibly accomplished more in his 8 yrs  than any president.
Many replies have stated the Obama or his wife is "scary"  my question to you, is deep down and truthfully is he scary because of his politics or because of your fear of the unknown because he is black??
My main point in all of this is that we really know what expect from McCain  4 more years of Bush, no end of war, soldiers dying, no clue on the economy, and the alfred e newman approach of "what me worry?"
We don't know what Obama will do for sure except it will certainly be not more of the same.  When I look at my books I can't afford 4 more years of Bush

Show Dad

The word "scary" in a political context has nothing to do with who someone is or how they look. Scary is the coming Social Security train wreck we are leaving our kids and both of these yahoos are proposing more government programs. And the public just accepts it. Sooner or later we are going to have to pay for it with cash (higher taxes) or cuts.

Remember also in our form of government a president has to deal with congress. Look who is in charge there. They believe we need to tax people who earn money (not just the rich, whoever that is) just because they believe your job is there because of them so you owe them for it. Now that's scary!

Just for kicks, does anyone know when tax freedom day is?
<alien>

Latest posts