Who is your hero or someone you look up to.

Help Support Steer Planet:

aj

Who is your hero or someone you look up in the livestock bussiness? Is it your dad, brother, sister etc.? Was it a proffessor, breeder,veternarian, or whatever. Most of thr people that are my hero's are cattle breeders. Ora Erdman.Virgil Wegener, Larry Insley,Bob Dickenson and my parents. Joe Lewis of Alfalfa Lawn farms? Joe judged alot of shows. I beleive he was the first judge to use a crossbred steer at Denver.(maybe around 1972). He then used a shorthorn steer instead of a crossbred in(maybe early 90,s). Especially when you are young, some people just seem larger than life for better or worse. Have you ever been really down and had someone talk you you and you perspective. I'm kind of a history geek. Just thought I'd throw it out there.  (dog) (dog) (dog)

justme

This is one of the speech topics for the Jr.'s at the Maine Jr. Nationals this year.  That is a tuff one for a little one.  My daughter just gave me a look like"what do you mean?" lol  I could answer it, but for my 9 year old it was hard.

showcattlegal

My Mother is my hero in the cattle bussines, she has worked with cattle her whole life, theres a lot of people that I have looked up to in the show ring and out of it but i learned the most from my mother. My other hero is my grandpa I wish he was still here to ask him things.

farmboy

ONE OF MY GOOD FREINDS AARON FENTON. MASTER SHOWMAN AND A GREAT, FUNNY, GUY. AT THE FAIR ONE YEAR HE WON GRAND HEIFER AND RESERVE STEER. COUNTLESS SHOWMANSHIP VICTORIES

knabe

my greatgrandfather, who i alluded to in another post.

immigrated from denmark, came over with a silver spoon and a porcelein cow.  avoided the war with germany where both he and his brother were born in the same house, one was danish, the other german. came out west with only an ax.  went to work making limestone fence posts.  got in on the land rush in OK.  purchased additional land made up of draws and other land people couldn't make a living on.  people said "chris, what you want with that land?"  He said, "well, the runoff from everone's soil will accumulate if i just put up a few small dams, and pretty soon i'll have pasture.  that pasture is now wheat ground.  he had the first milking shorthorns in his county, the first radio, had one car his whole life.  gave his inheritance to the women in the family, instead of the men as they had no means to support themselves, especially if they were left fatherless, which he saw his share of.  he fed outlaws, gypsies, vagrants, and anyone on sundays.  he started out on his homestead by hauling cedar fence posts to town.  first year he bought a team.  second year he bought a wagon.  then he built his own house.  he retired in town on some land he purchased and built a few more houses for his extended family.  his last name is knabe.  He's my hero, cuz he looked out for others, liked to experiment, was frugral, liked to have fun. 

Telos

I have a lot of heroes which I like to look up to. In general it is all our ancestors who had the courage to come to a land of unknowns. Many who did not speak a word of English, like my Lebanese grand parents and who were so enterprising. It's hard to imagine all the hardships many of them had to suffer through.  I have always asked myself, was it easier to acquire success in that generation then in my own generation today. I don't think I have a tenth of the courage or stamina they must have had. Back in those days when people needed help you never questioned anything and helping those in need always took top priority. It was just spontaneous.

Of all the people I met when growing up showing cattle, I have to say Joe Lewis, has to be on my top list of heroes. AJ, thanks for helping me recall all the moments I had with that incredible human being. He taught me many tricks with regards to grooming cattle.  He was my friend and I always could not wait to see him at the next show. You could literally write a book on that super special  guy. He really loved all us kids. I will always miss him.

aj

Bob Dickenson, a long time simmental breeder was one of the first people to jump on weighing cattle and use performance data in selection pressure. He was involved in the national assc. holding office I believe. He was a k-state grad bcak when gardiner was there I think. Livestock judging, on and on. Dad went to school with him and bought alot of bulls from him back when simmental where red. Some people are genuine.  He is. They are currently raising simmental, red angus and etc. His boy I think is mainly in charge of the program now. Bob was involved with the beef improvement federation an etc. I don't think they make em like bob anymore. (clapping)

red

My hero is & will be my long suffering hubby!
He's taught me more about raising cattle w/ good common sense that any amount of book smarts could have ever hopped to achieve.
He's calm,a hard worker, willing to learn new things & is just so darn good looking!
Plus he puts up w/ my love of showing, my illnesses & King Killer Kitty!
Red