Who thinks this is the same calf????? I am not impressed!!!!

Help Support Steer Planet:

Bawndoh

The tag in his ear in the video is an RFID tag....ready for the sale barn.  This is all fishy.  Unless you were able to get a hell of a deal on the calf, it is definitely odd that you
dumped him at the sale barn so quickly.  It does look like the same calf, plus he seems to have the same dopey ears in both the video and photos.  I don't see how this could have been
a month apart though...hair certainly doesn't grow that fast.

jjhawkeye

Its really really sad that honesty and being trustworthy is a thing of the past, life is really to short for this.

farwest

Well whether this story is true or not it stirred some good discussion. Lol

flacowman

video calf is barely waist tall and unless that gate in the pic is a goat gate or something I would say the calf in the video is noticeably shorter in stature.  Does anyone else see this or am I crazy?

What was his pedigree (at least what were you told?) and how old is the calf/supposed to be? 

Something is definitely shady and I think you messed up selling him before it was settled, jmho

big w

When I read this I thought it was kinda funny. Proves what goes around comes around.

MCC

yuppiecowboy said:
Hold on here. Raymond buys and sells quality stock. That is a fact and it is irrefutable. If he buys one from you, rest assured the check is good. Whether you like how he markets or what he has to say, the fact is if he bought the calf in the picture and the calf in the video showed up, he deserves satisfaction.

I defy you to find any standards and conditions with any breed association that would endorse selling a blind bull as acceptable.

I agree I have seen picture's of cattle steerjockey has had for sale and there GOOD. I wasn't privy to the dealings on this bull and probably should not make any judgements on it BUT he posted it so I will. As I posted in a earlier post why didn't you reject the bull when he showed up looking like that? Didn't get a reply on that question. I have looked at that video several times and truly think that bull has been clipped before. Look at his tail, as another poster has pointed out, it has been clipped and if you look at his brisket,underline and front end it has been clipped also. I don't know about other parts of the world but in Colorado it seems to me that the two places that grow hair the fastest is the head and the tail.( never where you really need it ) In the picture we really can't see the head that good so I don't know that it was fully clipped. It wasn't any money out of my pocket but it's an interesting situation. I just wonder if that calf is suffering from Polo. (protein poisoning )

base pair

This is by far the most inane thread in the history of sp -
somebody buys a bull from a phone photo
the bull arrives and is accepted
apparently he isn't insured
apparently he didn't have a breeding soundness exam
apparently nobody ever checked the golden nuggets
3 vets say he is blind but not totally blind (3 blind mice?)
the buyer thinks he is not the same bull he bought or he thought he bought
so the buyer asks a bunch of people who never saw the bull if he is the same bull
apparently the buyer never saw the bull to begin with either
then the buyer takes the bull to a sale barn where he is sold as a steer because his nuts are too small
apparently the 3 vets didn't look beyond the eyes
so the buyer in theory buys a partially blind little nutted promo bull and and now the buyer wants the seller to make it right
what is wrong with this picture - sure wish aj was here he would have the answer

hangonsloopy

base pair said:
This is by far the most inane thread in the history of sp -
somebody buys a bull from a phone photo
the bull arrives and is accepted
apparently he isn't insured
apparently he didn't have a breeding soundness exam
apparently nobody ever checked the golden nuggets
3 vets say he is blind but not totally blind (3 blind mice?)
the buyer thinks he is not the same bull he bought or he thought he bought
so the buyer asks a bunch of people who never saw the bull if he is the same bull
apparently the buyer never saw the bull to begin with either
then the buyer takes the bull to a sale barn where he is sold as a steer because his nuts are too small
apparently the 3 vets didn't look beyond the eyes
so the buyer in theory buys a partially blind little nutted promo bull and and now the buyer wants the seller to make it right
what is wrong with this picture - sure wish aj was here he would have the answer

(clapping)Good review, just wish it was on the first page of the thread so I wouldnt have just wasted my time reading 4 pages of this crap. <beer>

steerjockey

Thanks for the actual legitimate commentary by some...to those of you who think I'm making this up quite frankly yur not worth my breath telling you how I really feel about yur bs comments....the reason we shipped him is because the breeder wouldnt refund my money!!! That p.o.s. was just costing me money that I didnt need to be spending....I do good business and always sell the best cattle I can...I would NEVER let something like that even stay in my cull pen...we videoed him the day he left for the sale barn so we could show the public what can happen when you TRUST people that have no common sense or dignity to not let stuff like that go on. I will NOT list the name of the breeder as this thread I KNOW has been viewed by them and I have enough satisfaction knowing that there are others out here that think it was bs and that I got screwed. This is what I have to say to the people on here that think this is just me making stuff up....if you don't know me then dont make negative assumptions about the way I do business because the people that do know me know what I'm about and thats why they stand up for me. I dont appreciate being screwed and ya know what ya I'm out some cash on this deal....money isnt everything!! If I really wanted to I could go after them for it I could I just figured as a breeder they would make it right....I guess there are only some of us that feel that would be a no brainer.This thread was to show people what can appen when you take someones word...I still operate my business on a handshake rule...I will trust you till you screw me...you screw me I'll never forget it and they wont either.

Sly

I wasnt going to say anything about this at all.  But the more i thought about it.  I dont want this happening to me or anyone else. So why not tell everyone who the breeder is. Either they will make it right or go out of business.  I dont know how they are actually going to stay in business anyway.  Never seen anybody making any money selling junk cattle anyway.  oh well! Good luck steerjockey.  Alot people dont like u on here and i dont know why.  Keep your head up.

OH Breeder

steerjockey said:
Thanks for the actual legitimate commentary by some...to those of you who think I'm making this up quite frankly yur not worth my breath telling you how I really feel about yur bs comments....the reason we shipped him is because the breeder wouldn't refund my money!!! That p.o.s. was just costing me money that I didn't need to be spending....I do good business and always sell the best cattle I can...I would NEVER let something like that even stay in my cull pen...we videoed him the day he left for the sale barn so we could show the public what can happen when you TRUST people that have no common sense or dignity to not let stuff like that go on. I will NOT list the name of the breeder as this thread I KNOW has been viewed by them and I have enough satisfaction knowing that there are others out here that think it was BS and that I got screwed. This is what I have to say to the people on here that think this is just me making stuff up....if you don't know me then dint make negative assumptions about the way I do business because the people that do know me know what I'm about and thats why they stand up for me. I dont appreciate being screwed and ya know what ya I'm out some cash on this deal....money isn't everything!! If I really wanted to I could go after them for it I could I just figured as a breeder they would make it right....I guess there are only some of us that feel that would be a no brainer.This thread was to show people what can happen when you take someones word...I still operate my business on a handshake rule...I will trust you till you screw me...you screw me I'll never forget it and they wont either.

For clarity purposes, did you really buy him off a phone photo? If so, did you inspect him at any point in real life? I bought a heifer once from a photo. When I went to inspect her the owner gave me 60 days to make up my mind if I wanted her or not. I inspected her in person and she was better than the photo. I didn't have to pay for her an til I took her.
You have offered a great story but there are also some things that can be learned from your story. Even if you are buying on the word of a seller, you should still take the time to inspect the animal. That is your duty as part of the agreement. I would have never offered full payment if I had never seen the purchased animal in person. As far as recourse, definitely would have pursued this as it would become part of the public record and help make the bad seller accountable. But it also makes us better buyers. JMO.  Good conversation.

chambero

I may be way off base, but watching the calf move in the video and looking his body he looks like an animal to me that has contracted chronic respiratory problems.  Maybe he was blind, but I've seen calves get so screwed up in their head with congestion that they have a complete lack of balance and move just like that calf did.  The bull's frame and shape make me think he probably did at one time carry a lot more muscle than he does in the video.  We had an Angus show steer this past year that started having respiratory trouble last summer and essentially went from a real solid steer to a one about like this one.  He'd be sick a week, get antibiotic, get well for 3-4 weeks and then go through the cycle again.

Either way there was obviously no salvaging this animal.  I bet it is the same one, he just got sick somewhere in between and it ruined him.

Diamond

ok really guys, How many have bought calves that didn't turn out? where drugged at sales and turned into psychos when you got them home? or brought ringworn, warts, lepto ect. into your herd because you added a new addition? I know I can drudge up some horror story's, with breeders that never stood behind their animals...And really yea legal action is great, but depending on what you have spent more often then not you end up losing out on even more funds with the proceedings with no guarantees.

steerjockey

Diamond said:
ok really guys, How many have bought calves that didn't turn out? where drugged at sales and turned into psychos when you got them home? or brought ringworn, warts, lepto ect. into your herd because you added a new addition? I know I can drudge up some horror story's, with breeders that never stood behind their animals...And really yea legal action is great, but depending on what you have spent more often then not you end up losing out on even more funds with the proceedings with no guarantees.

that is exactly why I cut my losses and got out while I could.....AMEN

OH Breeder

Diamond said:

So if you spent $5000 to 10,000 on an animal and sold it at market for a 80 to 90 percent loss you do'nt think $500 in court would be worth it. The fees if won are passed on to the losing party. It only cost a $100 for an attorney to write a letter and get involved. Most folks don't want to go to court. Certified letter from your attorney usually gets the ball rolling quickly. Yeah, there is always going to be a calf that goes down the tubes. But wow that calf really looked bad. Still don't know if the buyer ever inspected the calf in person before accepting the animal. There lies some of the issue.

SeannyT

american honey said:
american honey said:
are cows born blind? and what sorta of disease would the calf have for him to be like that?
excuse me...i mean cattle and was he born blind?

Blindness can come from Vitamin deficiency (usually vitamin A) and mineral deficiencies. We had a real good steer go downhill in a matter of weeks due to copper deficiency and this way due to becoming blind. In this instance it would be possible that the bull in the picture could have been deficient in some aspect and suffered for it by the time he made it to your farm.

Truthful 101

I have to say this has been interesting reading!! I agree it does look like the same calf.  After reading the entire thread, though I noticed that there were questions that were never responded to.  As others have said it is hard to make a judgement without the full details.  Did the breeder ever mention anything about sight problems?  No offence but I dont think the calf in the photo is good enough to be anything more than a herd bull. JMO  One more thing why didnt u ask for a video before purchase?  Its not as good as in the flesh but people buy cattle every day off of them.