Who to breed this Simmental heifer to?

Help Support Steer Planet:

wypeterson22

We bought a simmie heifer a couple months ago from Windy Ridge Simmentals. She was lot 32 in this sale https://www.dponlinesales.com/auction/9393/207554?fsp=12600

You can view her pic and video there, I will also work on getting a pic attached.

She is a Pilgrim on the WRS donor WAGR Precious (Full sibling in blood to Profit)

She is currently due in late Feb early March with a WRS Emergent calf, and then we are planning to flush. We have 4-6 good recips big enough to have just about anything ready to implant in April or May.

So my question is, who do ya'll think we should breed her to? Thinking Sim or Angus, but open to any thoughts you guys have!

Thanks in advance!

wypeterson22

Here is a pic, I like her video better which can be found on the link in my previous post.

Attachments

• Gucci Snip 2.PNG
    Gucci Snip 2.PNG
    453.7 KB · Views: 163

Mark H

If you want to moderate birth weight: Mr CCF Vision
If you want to go for power either 3D BLK Full Throttle 483X or LFE The Riddler 323B would put out some great calves

wypeterson22

Thanks Mark!

I like the looks of vision and his son Catalyst as well.

Do you know where semen is available on the other two bulls? I found pictures and numbers (both impressive and certainly look like they will put out power) but I don't know if I found anywhere that actually sells semen?

Thanks again!

wypeterson22

Looks like you agree with Mark, Gargan. He is a good looking bull. I take it ya'll have had some calves out of him? Any pics?

Gargan

I dont have any experience with this bull. Just shared the link to his semen for sale. Hopefully someone will chime in with first hand experience  <beer>

CRS

The two that come to mind for me are a 3/4 bull CDI Innovator and Hammertime a purebred.  I haven't had any calves out of Innovator and only a bull out of Hammertime, which was good enough to keep back for clean-up.  Innovator seems to make them moderate and thick without sacrificing soundness and Hammertime really softens them up, has plenty of power and puts a nice clean front on them. If you search Hammertime on here, I posted calf pics of him.

wypeterson22

Thanks for the feedback! I really like the look of Hammertime, and his dam. I'll take a look at the pic. It says a lot that you kept him back for cleanup though. Have any more bred back to him?

Mark H

wypeterson,

All three bulls are availbe from Bouchard Livestock:https://bouchardlivestock.com/semen_beef.php
Another bull that would work for you is SVS Captain Morgan 11Z.  He is available fro bull barn.

wypeterson22

Mark,

Thank you for all your input today! I really like that bull as well. And thank you for the semen link. Have loved all three suggestions.

WinterSpringsFarm

guess my question is what do you want to do with her calves?

I'd like to give her a little more mass in her lower rear third, and stretch her neck out a touch and clean it up.

County O will add the mass and the calves will be incredibly marketable.  Copacetic will put a good front third on her, not sure how much ass he will put in one, but they too will be marketable.  20-20 has made some great ones for me.  And so has Pays to Believe.

Attachments

• 0D1546F9-9A58-45E9-9D1A-2B5C110293FD.jpeg
    0D1546F9-9A58-45E9-9D1A-2B5C110293FD.jpeg
    288.6 KB · Views: 235

wypeterson22

Thanks for the input WSF! You always have great answers for me. I have really been considering County O. My goal is to make big broody females. I couldn't agree more about the neck. Pays to believe is another awesome option. I haven't looked into the other two very much, I will get researching!

Thanks again, and nice calves!!!

WinterSpringsFarm

wypeterson22 said:
Thanks for the input WSF! You always have great answers for me. I have really been considering County O. My goal is to make big broody females. I couldn't agree more about the neck. Pays to believe is another awesome option. I haven't looked into the other two very much, I will get researching!

Thanks again, and nice calves!!!

Your welcome, and thanks for the compliment.  I just looked up her pedigree, and if it helps you any I think if she were at my place I'd be looking hard at County O.

CRS

We flushed one to Primo, he seems to be doing a lot of things right.  Style if you don't mind the price tag, SMA Watchout seems to be making some nice Sim-Angus and ChiAngus females, Bush's Unbelievable keeps them stout and cleans up fronts and New Game of Griswold's, but he looks a little heavy fronted to me.