who would you breed her to?

Help Support Steer Planet:

OH Breeder

Just personal opinions, but, I always try to plan for future matings no matter what I use. I also consider marketing potential and recognizable genetics. Unfortunatley although Kia and Hyundai have gotten better when they came out no one bought them. You plan to do what with your offspring? What is she bred to now? IF you want to make replacement females, I think purebred bull is the way to go.
Many options, Shorthorns- Jazz lines seem to maintain frame or moderate. Many of the Trump lines are larger in shape and frame(for me). Decidie what direction you want to go and you can narrow breed and bull quicker. I tend to favor the shorty. Red Angus is an option for replacement females if you want to keep coloring and certainly CHar's would give you some intersting markings.
My personal opinion, see what she does with her first calf. See how she milks and mothers. If she seems to get along then go forward. You may find she couldn't feed a squirrel and is has zero mothering instinct.
Vegas, my experience with vegas and his brother sin City, they had to be used on smaller deeper bodied females much like Hannibal and they clicked. If you used them on anything that was shallower made they seem to get a bit "tubey". Birthweights for use were not very light either. After watching the Midcontinent sale, Uncle and some of the other shorthorn genetics were very interesting. Muscle shape and body in a moderate package.

farmboy814

Thanks OH Breeder. Definitely some good points. offspring could potentially be shown by my niece who'll start showing cattle next year. Or raised up and sold as a replacement heifer. 

parkerqb7

It will depend on which blue roan bull you use. Since she is a 4 way cross it could come out almost any color.

cowpoke

Lots of good bulls but on a 4 way cross your predictability is limited.i-80,MAB,JPJ, W/A all might work but the better the cow the better the calf.I have a neighbor that tries hard to A-I his cows to popular name bulls but they are low quality and He asks why he doesn't have better calves.They are better than their mothers but still not good enough for replacements.I have heard people criticize most all the bulls when in reality it is only half the problem.Like the guy that said his bull was a nonbreeder and wanted his money back the next year and then said the calves weren't any good either.