Who's got Wrestlers out there?

Help Support Steer Planet:

braunvieh

Just wondering how many wrestlers parents are out there? I have two boys and they both love wrestling. One is 6&Under 58 and the other is 8&Under 52. This is our 2nd year and it is really fun and wrestling is pretty big in Kansas I would say.  My oldest wants to try and qualify for state this year.  We have a lot of take-down tournaments in our living room!!!

ADG

I too have 2 boys who have done federation since before kindergarten.  In fact this is the last year for the oldest one before moving on to JR high.  It has been tons of fun!  We start our season next week and will go till April.  Practice 2times a week and tourneys every sat unless it falls on a show!  Absouletly a great experience for kids!  I definitely am a wrestling mom!  I'm sure I am very entertaining to watch on the sidelines! <party>

rtmcc

Our 7 year old is on his second year of wrestling.  He really likes it.  Some days it makes it tough to be a weekend rancher/farmer,show cattle dad with wrestling tournaments on Saturdays and a 10 year old daughter with JO volley ball tournaments on sundays.  But we wouldn't trade for anything.  I think a lot of what they have learned at an early age showing livestock has really helped them in sports and visa versa. 

It's great to have well rounded active kids.  I feel sorry for those kids and families that just come home and play games and watch TV.
<party>

Bone2011

this is my second year wrestling and I am a junior... Some how I've been rated 3 all season. I can't beleive it.

justme

Evan is my big bad 70 pound 8 and under boy!  Won his first tournament of the year at Bedford Iowa 2 weeks ago.  Been wrestling for 3 years now <rock>

Attachments

• Evan and Peterson.jpg
    Evan and Peterson.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 426
  • evan3.jpg
    evan3.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 440

shortdawg

My youngest son just completed his first year - 11 year old - 75# - he's small but tough

TJ

I used to wrestle.  It was extremely hard work, but I loved it.  I wasn't great, but I did OK.  Our HS team was state runner up my soph year & 5th my JR year.  The best I ever individually was place as a state runner up in AAU during my soph year.  Our district was unbelievably good, with a couple other teams who almost always placed in the top 5 at state (that's hard to do with 3 state powerhouses all from the same district & region).  The State Champ in my weight class my JR year & the State Runner up in my weight class my SR year, was a guy in my district.  I almost pinned him (had him in a cradle) my JR year, in the district tourney, but I lost by a few points.  Still it made him pretty mad & we had an interesting battle on the football field my SR year because of it.  ;)  I was undefeated my SR year until I hurt my shoulder in practice around the middle of the season... I missed a couple weeks & I was never quite the same afterward.  I went in to our district tourney ranked #2 behind the guy who was the defending state champ, but I finished 4th, which gave me a terrible seed at regionals & I didn't qualify for our state meet.   :'(

The one thing that I really did enjoy.... due to the fact that our team was traditionally one of the best teams in Kentucky (we've won state several times), we got invited to travel to the bigger tourney's in our region & we got to wrestle a lot of the best teams from Indiana, Illinois, Missouri, Tennessee & Alabama.  That was pretty cool.  

Best wishes to all the young wrestlers!                  

ia girl

I have a 7 year old grandson that is in his second year of wrestling.  Went to a tournament this weekend and he got his butt kicked twice.    He said he had  fun and did his best!!  What more can you ask for?   

HVNR

This is our 8 Yr olds first year and he absolutely loves it.

Stihlpro

My son is not quite 2 but we wrestle every night (he calls it "Daddy Fight?").  Can't wait for him to get old enough.  We go to all the high school matches and he loves it. 

muleman

Both of my kids have wrestled since they were in diapers or atleast it seems like it. I have coached it for over 20 years and there is no better sport that prepares kids for life better than wrestling. It is alot like cattle they just are different kids than the normal country club kid. My youngest just placed again at the JR HIGH State Tourn. for 4 years running. My oldest has placed at JR High State and has placed and won several High School Tourn. You must get your kids involved at a fairly young age, before they get in Jr High otherwise it is not cool. Wrestling and cattle teach kids to work hard from which they benefit in the future. My wife just saw on the Today's Show that the Navy Seals are recruiting wrestlers and water polo students because they are intense and wont give up.

jimmyski

Something not many people know about me is that I wrestled for 16 years. This included a year of College wrestling as well. I wasn't near the most athletically gifted wrestler out there, but I dang sure wasn't going to be outworked. I was a slightly above average wrestler in high school and just an average Junior College wrestler. In the year I wrestled in College, I beat 4 JuCo All-Americans, however it was not due to being a better wrestler that's for sure....lol I simply won most of those matches by being willing to go farther and push myself farther than they were. If a person could keep up with me for 3 full periods and still be ahead then they most likely deserved to beat me.

It's a point in my life that I will always cherish and if it wasn't for Wrestling taking me to Colby Community College, I would have never started judging and wouldn't be in the position I am now!

I attribute Wrestling to the drive and work ethic that I try to display everyday as judging coach and teacher. It is one of/if not the hardest sport out there IMHO. There is not another sport that teaches discipline, hard work, and mental toughness the way that wrestling does.

I still get the urge to compete sometimes and miss a lot aspects of it(minus the weight cutting..lol).  I still try to get back and help out our high school kids over Christmas break and think that someday when I'm done coaching Livestock Judging, I will probably start coaching Wrestling at the high school lever somewhere. Seems like once you get that competitive itch, it never goes away!

beattieclubcalves

it really dissapoints me that rockin j ranch says it is stupid especially sincei wrestled for 13 years was goin to wrestle on a college scholarship but tore out my acl and never quite recovered right after the reconstructive surgery it teaches you so many responsibilities by havin to manage weight keep grades up and everything else i love it and always will wrestled from k-12 and qualified for pee wee state 2 times  state as a 6th grader and state as a 8th grader and than was state qualifier my senior year and finished the season ranked 12th in the state of iowa which is wrestling world!

farmin female

You know, I am not in the habit of responding to many of these chats, but I had to jump in here.  My son is a wrestler - has been since he was 4 - and I am not just proud of him for it, I am DAMN proud of him.  He's wrestling at a dual as I write this note even!  It is the hardest sport going - bar none.  When you step on that mat, its just you and your opponent.  Any mistakes you make are all your own and everyone in the gymn sees when you make one.  There's no slacking off for even one second or you're done for.  I find that people who say they don't like wrestling have never participated in it at all or taken the time to learn about it.  I believe it helps kids develop so many good habits - as stated by many before me.  For those just starting out, let your kids have fun and don't let them burn out.  They will remember their wrestling career forever and I know this wrestling mom will also.  There's nothing like standing in a packed gymn and yelling at that top of your lungs, "RUN YOUR HALF!"

To jimmyski: wrestling always needs good coaches.  Maybe you can start a livestock judging wrestling team!  Or a show team!  My son would jump on that!

braunvieh

We are headed to a kids wrestling tourney tomorrow! I love to watch our whole team wrestle. Now, if my sons heifer will calve tonight so we don't have to worry about her while we're gone!