Why do you like your breed of cattle?

Help Support Steer Planet:

TJ

red said:
Welcome back TJ! Wondered where our resident Lowliner was!

Red

Thanks, Red!  Let's just say that the past few weeks have been very interesting!  My heads been spinning!!  The good news is that we've been moving a pretty decent amount of semen, inquiries have been real good & we've had a pretty decent amount of rain recently.  That bad news... somebody pulled out in front of me causing me to wreck my truck, my sister in-law almost died (unrelated to my truck accident), etc.,, but everything has either worked itself out or will work itself out fairly soon.  Catching up is now the hard part!  If my truck gets fixed this week, that will be a big help.  I hope that I can focus on getting info for my website this week too.  All I need is more time, but isn't that true with everyone? 

Show Dad

ROAD WARRIOR said:
DL - The foot and leg problems are typicaly structural however, the Heavenly lines seem to have a problem with the actual hoof quality, I would assume this would be simular to horses hooves but really don't know. As far as calving ease bulls that are readily available to the public (Bull Stud Bulls) this year I used a couple of Canadian bulls - Pasquale 213P and Master Plan 17M available through Brylor Semen Sales (www.brylor.com). To be honest I am just not that thrilled with most of the bulls in the US semen catalogs. I usually buy my semen directly from breeders that I know and most of the time I have seen the bull and at least some offspring. Our Sr. herd sire was National Intermediate Champion bull in 2003. He started out to be a wholesale heifer bull (67 - 78# BW) but has actually developed into our premier female producer. He is an outcross pedigree to all of the AI stud bulls which in our small gene pool is a bonus. I have never attempted to get a semen "deal" with any one and just sell semen privately, so far this breeding season we have sold 420 units from North Dakota to Texas and really need to get him back up to the collection facility as soon as he is done breeding cows. Hope this helps!

RW - I finally had the time to check out the Brylor website. Some really good bulls. I really like the 2 you suggested and Mulberry as well. Thanks for sharing these gems.

ROAD WARRIOR

I ahve been using Mulberry as well - just not on heifers. He is a "heater" and very well may be the next "great" in the Red Angus breed.

justintime

I have seen Mulberry numerous times in the past to years, not only at the shows but also at the farm where he has been fitted , as he lives only a few miles from me, and he does some work for me as well. Each time I have seen Mulberry, I am amazed by the tremendous depth of body and capacity he possesses. He is so deep sided that you don't realize just how big he is. He is very moderate framed but has a tremendous amount of body. My only concern is if his frame will hold up under that much body mass. It may be just fine, but I do have to wonder sometimes. I guess time will tell on that. As beef sires go, he is about as incredible as I have seen.

justintime

It is $100 per dose simply because there are lots of breeders willing to pay that much for it. It also guarantees, at least somewhat, that he will get mostly the top end females in any herd, and hopefully his calves will also be top end. From what I am hearing, lots of semen has sold at this price.

cowgirl

ROAD WARRIOR said:
Red Angus - After working for a fittting service for 15 years I made the transition from commercial cattle to Red Angus. Of all the breeds that we worked, the Red Angus put the most good things togather in one package with the fewest unwanted characteristics. Calving ease, Maternal traits, heat tolerance, growth, disposition (most of them), roughage conversion, carcass traits, fertility, fleshing ability, and consistency. I still have many friends in other breeds that have asked why I went with the Reds 20 some odd years ago when they were a "minor" breed. I usually reply that the cattle are so good that the people haven't been able to screw them up (There are some that really try though). The biggest thing I don't like is the fact that the National association is so "pro" EPD and anti show. It has gotten to the point that the association influences the out come of alot of shows - cattle with the "right" EPDs win reguardless of how good or bad they might be.

I defiantly agree is that Red Angus is a great breed of cattle.  :D  I have be raising registered Red Angus for several years and I like the fact that the national association isn't Pro-show.  I believe you should choose your genetics based on consistency and productivity, not purple ribbons and banners.  Don't get me wrong I show too, and believe it is imperative to promote our breed and the quality genetics that we have to offer.  But I think the fact that the association is more based on EPD's and commercial breeders is the reason our breed is gained in popularity in the last several years.

OH Breeder

I am not sure what a "bull permit" is?
Interesting, I think the 100 Canadian works out to 94.89 american. Is there any pictures of his progency out there?

Show Heifer

Oh cowgirl, your just upset that you don't win the "big" shows!!!! ;D Just jokin buddy!!!
You know I tried to lease a red bull this year, and couldn't find one....so I guess that means either the breed is gaining popularity, or there isn't many out there!!!!
I told you this board will "getcha"...... (clapping)
Welcome dudette......this board is a riot!!! (cow)

Show Dad

justintime said:
I have seen Mulberry numerous times in the past to years, not only at the shows but also at the farm where he has been fitted , as he lives only a few miles from me, and he does some work for me as well. Each time I have seen Mulberry, I am amazed by the tremendous depth of body and capacity he possesses. He is so deep sided that you don't realize just how big he is. He is very moderate framed but has a tremendous amount of body. My only concern is if his frame will hold up under that much body mass. It may be just fine, but I do have to wonder sometimes. I guess time will tell on that. As beef sires go, he is about as incredible as I have seen.

Hey JIT, what would you say his frame size is? Does he move free?  How is his temperament? I would really like to see a video of this guy!

ROAD WARRIOR

cowgirl said:
ROAD WARRIOR said:
Red Angus - After working for a fittting service for 15 years I made the transition from commercial cattle to Red Angus. Of all the breeds that we worked, the Red Angus put the most good things togather in one package with the fewest unwanted characteristics. Calving ease, Maternal traits, heat tolerance, growth, disposition (most of them), roughage conversion, carcass traits, fertility, fleshing ability, and consistency. I still have many friends in other breeds that have asked why I went with the Reds 20 some odd years ago when they were a "minor" breed. I usually reply that the cattle are so good that the people haven't been able to screw them up (There are some that really try though). The biggest thing I don't like is the fact that the National association is so "pro" EPD and anti show. It has gotten to the point that the association influences the out come of alot of shows - cattle with the "right" EPDs win reguardless of how good or bad they might be.

I defiantly agree is that Red Angus is a great breed of cattle.  :D  I have be raising registered Red Angus for several years and I like the fact that the national association isn't Pro-show.  I believe you should choose your genetics based on consistency and productivity, not purple ribbons and banners.  Don't get me wrong I show too, and believe it is imperative to promote our breed and the quality genetics that we have to offer.  But I think the fact that the association is more based on EPD's and commercial breeders is the reason our breed is gained in popularity in the last several years.

I would not have a serious problem with EPD's if they were an honest representation of the animal, but today there are too many people manipulating the numbers and contemporary groups to put alot of faith in them. If people were honest in the data turned in it would be a great tool but I don't know how you're going to police everyone that registers cattle. And I still have a problem with a judge using a structurally unsound animal just because it has good EPD's - in the real world it really doesn't matter if bull "X" has trait leading EPD's if he is not sound enough to go out and breed cows - but then again people would AI their cows to him and further perpetuate the structural problems he has to "boost" their numbers.

ROAD WARRIOR

cowgirl said:
You also do not have to pay for a bull permit
[/
The last I knew Mulberry was at $60.00 a straw U.S. and you will have to call Bryan and have him release a bull permit to register a calf. I think they sold a limited U.S. semen package on him in Denver this year so I'm not sure if semen is readily available in the states.

Show Heifer

True Road Warrior, EPD's are only as good as the people turning them in. BUT, as you are not willing to see a judge use an unsound animal with good epd's, I am tired of judges using "pretty" animals that HAVE NO EPDS! Or awful ones at best! You can't justify either extreme. So I hope that the red breed uses the EPD's as a tool, as well as the show ring for eye appeal.
I know it is hard to believe, but I honestly think you can have the best of both worlds, IF you are willing to work for it, and row your own boat....and that is something very few people are willing to do. ???

DL

RW - interesting web site with some really nice bulls but why in the world would you name a bull Paralyzer - that would be enough to cause me to run?

Show Heifer - is cowgirl your Red Angus buddy? Welcome cowgirl - we have a good time and learn some too (welcome)

ROAD WARRIOR

SH - Make no mistake about it a happy medium would be absolutely marvelous, but (yeah I know your thinking here he goes again) given the choice between a structuraly correct sound animal with so-so numbers or an EPD giant that leaves a track in the dirt behind him like he was dragging a rope because he is unsound on his hind legs - I'll take the sound so-so bull everytime. Our assn. puts so much preasure on the judges it selects especially for the national shows to pick the numbers over the "showcattle" that it is almost a joke. Last year I followed a class winning calf out of the ring and his left hind leg never cleared the saw dust but he had a super set of EPD's. I think there were 8 or 9 calves in that class and at least 5 that were good calves and structurally sound.

ROAD WARRIOR

dragon lady said:
RW - interesting web site with some really nice bulls but why in the world would you name a bull Paralyzer - that would be enough to cause me to run?

Show Heifer - is cowgirl your Red Angus buddy? Welcome cowgirl - we have a good time and learn some too (welcome)

DL - you have to know Bryan to fully appreciate this. The bull is actually named after a drink called the Brylor Paralizer. Pretty good drink in moderation but it has earned it's name when used in excess!

Show Dad

DL - you are on to something with these names. Of course it could be that the Paralyzer could be so named because when you look at him one is paralyze? But still why can't we use some thing like Fluffy or Papa Smurf? ;D

As for the EPD thing: tunnel vision will only lead to disaster. RAA says it isn't into fads, but isn't in now a fad to use only EPD's. Now there is a paradox for ya.

Latest posts