Why the big secret on pricing??

Help Support Steer Planet:

DLD

6M Ranch said:
Not sure why everyone is so consumed about what other people think.  If you can afford $10k for a steer, why be embarassed.  By the same token, if I buy a $1k steer and take grand champion, I want everyone to know my picking and searching skills are superior.  If two people know what you paid, it's not a secret.  If you PM me the price, it's no longer a secret.  Adjusting the price to the buyer is a poor business practice, and a poor excuse for not posting the price.  If you want to help out kids, price accordingly and tell the jocks to go somewhere else.  Can you tell from a PM that I'm a new kid to showing and need some help?  Time is a precious commodity at our place.  Post some pics, the price and where it's located.  Saves everyone some time and troouble.  I'm not interested in a $10k steer in Florida.  I am however interested in a $2k heifer in Kansas.  That way I can focus our attention on what is a possible purchase. 

I'm not a new kid, but that's pretty much how I feel about it.  Besides, you never know (unless you already know them personally) if someone who's posted pictures of their kids showing and talks a really good story, really does a good job or not, or whether or not they're apt to turn around and resell the calf for a profit if the opprotunity presents itself.  Put a price on them that you'll be satisfied with no matter where the calf goes and go on - if someone shows interest and you're willing to take a little less from them, then you can let them know it's not firm. 

That makes the same kind of sense as refusing to buy one because you think the seller bought it somewhere else and might be making what you think is too much profit on it - you have to look at it in terms of what the calf is worth to you and go from there.

I won't say I'll never inquire about one that's not priced, but I'm much more likely to get interested in one that is.  And the location thing really ought to go without saying - if you think you're too far "out of the way" for most folks, say in your ad that you're willing to help with shipping - if you're not, then you don't need to expect people from farther away to be as interested.

If you win, maybe even if you don't, there's always gonna be speculation/rumors about what you paid for your cattle.  Personally, I'd just as soon everyone knew the truth, whatever it really is.  It's no worse than the speculation, imho.

dlwardell

Interesting comments from both angles.  As someone who has bought and sold a few animals, horses cows, and puppies!  I always post a price on an animal I want to sell (or anything for that matter).  However, I assume there will be some negotiating involved and think that's part of the fun of it.  If I really feel strongly about the price, I'll simply say it is firm. 
As a buyer, I would rarely, if ever, inquire about an animal whose price was not posted simply because I would assume the seller is playing games and giving different prices for different people.  Again, sellers usually have a price in mind and a good starting place. It also takes time to pm and check for responses.  With my busy lifestyle, I may not get back to the computer for a week!!  By then, it will be sold if it's any good!
However - LOCATION< LOCATION<LOCATION should always be included.....