Winter weather, enough already

Help Support Steer Planet:

dutch pride

Has been blowing and snowing since early morning here in west Michigan. Everthing is closed today and State police have issued a "no travel" advisory. Several highways are closed in spots due to several vehicle pileup due to white out condition. A 30-40 car pileup just 2 miles from where we are. Temps around "0" with wind chills "-25".  BRRRRRRR

DLZ

doubled

Ill 2nd that Ive had it with winter, well below zero here again today

ZNT

I'll try not to rub in too much about our 74 degrees and sunny yesterday.  It's 65 and cloudy today and fixin' to have thunderstorms this evening.  I got my fingers crossed because it has been a dry winter.  Only .12 inches of moisture in January.  Driest January since 1984.  Calves are in the barn about everyday, and the race is about to begin to get calves sold before they start shucking all their winter hair.

I know, no sympathy from most.  Not hard to see why I moved to Texas though.

red

we had wind chill of -26. It was brutal yesterday. They have heavy snow warings starting tonight & ending Tuesday night. Yuck, but at least the mud is frozen!

Red

minimoo38

the frozen mud is better than the slop, but then you about break your ankle trying to walk through the hoofprints.  :mad:  (i've fallen down only a few times, but that was a few too many.)  ;)

ZNT

At least when you have frozen slop, you can get around with the tractor and feed truck to get the cows fed. When I lived in Nebraska, we calves out on cornstalks, and it was a nightmare to give supplement feed like hady and silage when the snow melted and the ground thawed.  Sometimes I wondered if we were burying more feed in the mud than we were putting out, and half of what we did put out, the cows stomped into the mud. 

showgirl2010

it sure has been crazy weather this year.  When there is 70 degree weather and major thunderstorms and two day later it 32 degrees and snowing.  that was about two weeks ago. This past weekend it was 60 degrees and beautiful then it turns off nasty today and we have about an inch of ice with snow on top with more on the way.  I am ready for spring.  Too bad its only february.  :'(  O well its calving season that is something to be happy about.

Jamie

minimoo38

it's just a never ending battle with this stupid weather. every other day we have to dig down/fluff up the haywagon, and today i just pitched out 400lbs of 3'' thick ice from our stock tank. the heater just can't keep up with this atrocious wind. it cuts right through my columbia pants, and sometimes it's hard to breathe, it's so cold. this is some of the ice from our tank. i put it next to the can for a relative size.

Attachments

• layered ice.JPG
    layered ice.JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 284
  • thick ice.JPG
    thick ice.JPG
    82.5 KB · Views: 300

shortyjock89

Yeah, my sister was telling me that she has to take a hammer to our automatic waterers every day..they havent completely frozen like this is quite a few years...it's cold out there...

showgirl2010

shortyjock89 said:
Yeah, my sister was telling me that she has to take a hammer to our automatic waterers every day..they havent completely frozen like this is quite a few years...it's cold out there...

Yeah we just get in the habit of carrying and ax and shovel in the winter. 

Jamie

TJ

It's wonderful here!  This afternoon & tonight it's been... snow, then sleet, then ice, then freezing rain & sometimes a combo of all that.  The high today was in the 20's & everybit of this stuck.  Several inches of accumilation & the roads are hazardous.  It was 70 here less than a week ago... weird weather!!   

itk

We had a -3 wind chill this morning. Global warming is looking good right now. Supposed to be almost 50 tomorrow.

red

:))) our heavy snow warning turned out to be 2"! any one's weathermen predict white death & then nothing?  ::)

Red

kanshow

Unfortunately our weather guy was right on last week when we got that 10 - 12" of snow. 

Rocky Hill Simmental

We have been having the craziest weather here in SE Missouri... but that's MO for you.  ;)

2008 so far: It gets down in the teens, up in the 50s, gets cold again, snows, to the 60s, hail, rain, thunderstorms, torado warnings, gets warm, gets cold. Right now the ground is covered in ice and we have no electricity. The only way I'm getting on the internet is a phone cord and am using my laptop. I feel sorry for the littlest calves but they're still going great.

garett

O yea, Missouri weather,
earlier this year it was 50 and above a few times then it drops and snows, and rains then the wind will blow.
With all the ice and snow,  on top, and the chilly winds that we have now, dad has given up checkin cows with his horsein the middle of the night--he has resorted to the truck  haha

Hey Rocky Hill Simmental where are you at in South MO?
I talked to my sister and she said that she had like 2 inches of ice and no power also.
My sister lives near Friedheim, MO.