Wonder cow?

Help Support Steer Planet:

red

Now, I know everyone has that cow that they think is outstanding in her field (sorry couldn't resist) but I want so share some information about one of mine.
She calved 1/11 & came into a full standing heat this morning
She has had 5 heifers in a row, all keepers
TH/PHA clean
all calves have been under 85 pounds
Only calf that has been pulled was a butt first breech, saved calf
She is polled
Typically catches on the first AI try
Great milker
She's an Iceman x Foreplay, so is registered.
Just thought I'd share my great cow w/ you. What about yours?

Red (cow)

brahmergirl

We have one that is outstanding for other reasons.  Brahma's always have a bad reputation and the fact is, typically they're not hateful until you cross them.  As a general rule, the full bloods are as docile as can be and this is why I had to prove this fact to my husband.  He was totally against us raising brahma's but when our only son, 7 at the time decided he no longer wanted to raise crossbred's, he wanted brahma's we almost died!  We did everything we could to talk him out of it but no go so hence, that is how we ended up with them!  And we don't regret it!

This summer, the hottest day of July we had our first calf born on our place out of our bull and a first time heifer.  All of our heifers have been halter broke to show and we brush them regularly while in the pasture.  People are amazed they're that gentle, to us that is.  So Darla calves while we're gone to a farm show and we come back to find a calf drained from the hot kansas sun and heat almost dead.  We picked that calf up took her under the barn, with mama in our back pocket.  We put her in a stall in the barn.  Now keep in mind we purchased this place last year from a 90 year old couple who hadn't maintained it in at least 20 years. Bad fences, no head gate or chute, nothing just some panels to keep them both in. 

The calf was too weak to nurse, could barely stand, hadn't had any colostrum that we knew of.  My husband props her up between his legs with mama watching and we hand milk that mama on a 5 gallon bucket, no halter, no chute just loose in the pen.  First time heifer folks!  she never even winced.  Gave that calf a good shot of colostrum and some glucose and within about 3 days she was up and running.

But the incredible thing was that mama.  She stood there while we would sneak up with the calf and put her on, we stood underneath her, milked her and fed that calf.  She survived and is thriving quite well.  Everytime my husband talks about how good she looks, I remind  him that she wouldn't  be here if I hadn't worked with those cattle like I have!  ;D

(Just a note, they are gentle for us but ask the neighbor boy who tries to sneak to our pond and fish, he knows just exactly how fast he can make it to the pond and just how fast the bull can.  He no longer fishes.)  ;D

genes

Well my cows are probably pretty plain Jane to others, btu the two that are pretty special to me are my first two show heifers.  We never did much in the ring really, but they have served me well the rest of their years.

Both are 1/2 Saler crosses.  They both milk well, and I don't ever recall them needing help in calving.  Their steers aren't show steers , but they are the kind you like to take to the sale barn.  The heifers are kept and make great cows.  Mitsy was mother to my favorite show heifers and great mothers.  Suzy is expecially notable in her fertility because she calved well below 2 years old (oops) in late fall, and by her 4th calf had moved up to being the first cow in the herd to calf.  Both of these girls are also showing their longevity now at 13 & 14 years old.

Like I said, not really that remarkable, but I'd take a few like them any day.

Oh and never to miss an photo opp....here's Suzy
DSCN0277.jpg

and Mitsy
100_0760.jpg

knabe

kinda new at the real thing, but had heifer twins on 2-11 at 2:20 pm from a direct midas legacy plus mating.  momma got both up and nursing and sits in between them like indians used to do with fires at night.  nite feeding works.  only difference is one has white on the navel.  twins were about 3-4 weeks early, 68 pounds each and popped out in 30 minutes.  calves alternate, one nurses, one sleeps.  ugh.  is there a no sleep icon?

genes

Congrats on the healthy twins knabe.  And didn't anyone tell you that you can sleep........in June (cow)

showcattlegal

Well I only have 27 cows and i love them all lol.  (cow) but I have a favorite. The first one is a cow that i bought her mother bred to a heard bull called Sammy (He's a Chi thats about all i know about him) but i really liked her mother. She had a heifer calf at first i didn't like her but she got better with age. I was going to ship her because shes not the gentlest thing. We desided to keep her around boy am I gald we did. She has had 3 calves so far. One was a grizz heifer we kept. 2nd was Grand at our county fair out of our heard bull (black dice X maine break), thrid was a Kadabra steer and he is doing good at the jackpots so we will see.
Lacey

Attachments

• grand 06.jpg
    grand 06.jpg
    399.7 KB · Views: 302
  • 11 steer.jpg
    11 steer.jpg
    811.5 KB · Views: 290