Worth getting a donkey

Help Support Steer Planet:

Rhj

Most of the time it's not needed.  I would try without first. 

BGF

I love using them, and have an extra you can buy really cheap.  I had two more born last year I am getting ready to start using this fall, so I have plenty.

herfluvr

YES!!  lol  Wouldn't trade our donkey for NOTHING!  We don't break many each year but we have return customers for our extra calves that people want because they are broke.  Donkey broke!  What ever you buy it for tyou will sell it for if after 2 years you decide to sell.  They take out that head swing so they don't get that head down to run.  A good donkey is so worth it.  3 days on a good donkey and they are soooo happy to see a human.  Ours runs with the cows.  Eats round bales and our of the bunker.  Only thing they really can't tolerate well is silage.  Trim their feet and worm them and they are hardy.  Ours is a standerd not a mini

nkotb

Off-topic, but I would be leery of letting them eat out of the bunk as non-ruminants don't handle products like rumensin very well.

Belties R Us

If you were to buy one how do you train them and how to you attach the donkey and calf? What size donkey works the best?  I have also been looking into getting one.

dn91

When you say you tie them on for three days do you mean three days straight day and night or three days with breaks each night? I'm paranoid about on getting tangled up somewhere when I'm not around

herfluvr

dn91 said:
When you say you tie them on for three days do you mean three days straight day and night or three days with breaks each night? I'm paranoid about on getting tangled up somewhere when I'm not around

We use a draft horse neck collar that is snug enough it won't slip over the donkeys head.  A wool string horse girth works well also.  Just need something with some thickness around the neck for more pulling and fr comfort.  We then will put the calf's halter on and tie a knot in the lead so the halter cannot loosen up and tie the calf to the dee ring on the collar.  They stay pretty good this way and yes they can get undone sometimes. They are teathered together with not more that 2-3 feet of rope between them.  We have not ever had a donkey injure a calf and the calf soon learns it is the donkeys way always.  They might get a little slimmer and I have seen them step over the rope with every foot and somehow they get their way ourt of every deal.  If you feel more comfortable using a halter on the calf, Schnieders Tack makes a thick rubber tie strap with snaps at both ends that works well also to snap to the halter and to the neck strap. http://www.sstack.com/Stable_Trailer-Ties-Cross-Ties/Dura-Tech-Extra-Heavy-Rubber-Ties/

Our donkey is priceless and if ours can't break them-which we have had friends bring a rogue calf over-then it's time for the truck.

Bilmar

steve2014 said:
It is worth getting a donkey to halter break 2 or 3 calves? I will only be showing for 2 more years.

I use the calf training 101 method. It is easy and cost less. If you google it you might order a video. Saw him in action and it take a hour to break one if you have the time, we usually take a week and our 10 year old can walk them.    Good luck.

Glorifying Pastures

We have used a donkey the past couple of years. We break 2-3 calves per year of our own. We use a halter on the calf that has a ring on it for the tension (Sullivan supply), loosens up a lot easier. On the donkey we use a cow collar (got form fleet farm) about 2" wide get it snug enough so it won't slip over the donkeys head, and to tie them together we used a horse tie out that has a snap clip on one end and a bull clip on the other, the bull clip is for if either one gets one trouble of getting hurt you can release them in a quick hurry. The lead is no more then 18-24" long (fleet farm also). With in two or three days together and about 3-6 hours per day, we can lead a 700 lb calf around without troubles. We keep ours tied together in a smaller pen around 20x30 foot mark, that way if something would happen we can get to them pretty fast. Good luck.

BadgerFan

If you have 2-3 calves for 2 years, don't bother.

For those that have dozens of calves to break each year, they are a big labor saver.