Wow, Taylor Swift n/c

Help Support Steer Planet:

Nasc

sue said:
Nasc said:
sue said:
I remember the Barbara Mandrell show - I cannot remember her sister's name? Trivia

Louise ?

Non-googled
[/quo
Yep. It came to me after I posted! So you must be 39 forever tooo?  I recall popcorn and "pj's" right before bedtime- Barbara Mandrell show.

With receiving only three channels and no remote back in the day I caught more then my fair share of the Mandrell’s. Dad was a fan and he controlled all the TV rights while he was in his living room Chair, awake or sleeping might I add.

ROAD WARRIOR

Nasc said:
sue said:
Nasc said:
sue said:
I remember the Barbara Mandrell show - I cannot remember her sister's name? Trivia

Louise ?

Non-googled
[/quo
Yep. It came to me after I posted! So you must be 39 forever tooo?  I recall popcorn and "pj's" right before bedtime- Barbara Mandrell show.

With receiving only three channels and no remote back in the day I caught more then my fair share of the Mandrell’s. Dad was a fan and he controlled all the TV rights while he was in his living room Chair, awake or sleeping might I add.

Back in the day it Porter and Dolly! RW

TMJ Show Cattle

Shortdawg, I didn't feel like typing that many names at  the time I posted. You are correct,there are quite a few from down your way that are really good. That's not even counting the Blues, Jazz, and Southern fried Rock bands of yesteryear.

Telos

Shordawg.  I'm not that much into the country thing but find it amazing how much talent comes from your neck of the woods. I think Vic Chesnutt may be one of the great songwriters of our generation. His niece, Liz Durrett is one of my new found favorites.

About Taylor Swift. In a recording studio, she can be made to sound OK, but l feel she's pretty bad live.

justintime

Telos said:
Shordawg.  I'm not that much into the country thing but find it amazing how much talent comes from your neck of the woods. I think Vic Chesnutt may be one of the great songwriters of our generation. His niece, Liz Durrett is one of my new found favorites.

About Taylor Swift. In a recording studio, she can be made to sound OK, but l feel she's pretty bad live.

Telos... I think that comment can be said about many of today's performers. I have not been to near as many concerts as many people on SP, but I have always been a little disappointed in the ones I have been to.. maybe it is because they don't sound as good in person as they do on tape.

My wife and I just finished watching a 3 hour live concert of Phil Collins and his band in Berlin. It was done in 1990, but it is still one of the most amazing shows I have ever seen.I can hardly believe that I had not heard of this concert before now. Chris has seen it several years ago, and she told me I really needed to see this before I died.  My opinion of Phil Collins went way, way up. Truly an amazing talent. Truly an amazing event. Three hours went by like it was a few minutes and I think this is the only time in my life that I have sat for 3 hours in one place(other than when driving to a cattle event!). His band was simply amazing, and I had no idea that Phil Collins was such a talented musician. There is a drum duet performed by Phil and his drummer that is probably the most amazing thing I have ever seen musically. I love music of many kinds, but this concert is burned forever in my brain. I never recall having the urge to sit down and watch an event all over again, a few hours after seeing it. It really affected me in a good way.... I cannot say that about some of today's stuff. As for Taylor Swift, she has talent... but she is not the entertainer of the year. She is well managed, and she gets attention, but I expect most of us could find several young singers as good as her, at our local high school musicals.

SouthWest

I am truly glad as a father that finally we have a teen idol that has not posted nude pic by accident, glorified kissing another girl by accident of course, sang about loosing their virginity, got caught drunk or high on dope.  I am sure glad the teens found someone they can look up to that respects moral, value, cultures, and America via country music.  Those teens will realize what country music is all about, and will eventually will branch out to your more traditionalist mom and pop singers and groups.  This is how you make an industry grow.  I respect how she respects herself and sings about how its ok to be average.  You dont have to be the prom queen.  As other people have glorified bad morals and value, we wonder why teen pregnancies are high, suicide in increasing, gang and dope are at record highs, etc. and we why we are where we are at today.  Someone finally tells our kids it cool to be yourself.  I as a parent do put a musical value on what she has done to Americas teen society.  If Bob Dylan and Willie Nelson would have heard about how you shouldn't be on the radio if you cant carry a note, those legends would have never got off the ground. 

knabe

justintime said:
My opinion of Phil Collins went way, way up. Truly an amazing talent.

in phil's early days, he played sometimes with an awesome band called brand x, i couldn't find any live video's on youtube, but there's lots of sound with static pics.

he also did a groundbreaking album with brian eno called before and after science.

here's a couple of tracks from that.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJNl7NjtbEU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGOC4Hib4OM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGOC4Hib4OM   

my favorite bass player, percy jones played on the before and after science album and with brand x, a monster on bass and a legend.

old macdonald
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIVGjWA0XXg

shortdawg

We've got another one on the horizon named Kirsten Underwood - she's been opening for some bigger named singers around here. She dates a friend of mine so we see her around a good bit - really talented young lady. We like our music down here - I'm an amatuer guitar player myself but just play for fun and at Church a lot.

kobo_ranch

SouthWest said:
I am truly glad as a father that finally we have a teen idol that has not posted nude pic by accident, glorified kissing another girl by accident of course, sang about loosing their virginity, got caught drunk or high on dope.  I am sure glad the teens found someone they can look up to that respects moral, value, cultures, and America via country music.  Those teens will realize what country music is all about, and will eventually will branch out to your more traditionalist mom and pop singers and groups.  This is how you make an industry grow.  I respect how she respects herself and sings about how its ok to be average.  You dont have to be the prom queen.  As other people have glorified bad morals and value, we wonder why teen pregnancies are high, suicide in increasing, gang and dope are at record highs, etc. and we why we are where we are at today.  Someone finally tells our kids it cool to be yourself.  I as a parent do put a musical value on what she has done to Americas teen society.  If Bob Dylan and Willie Nelson would have heard about how you shouldn't be on the radio if you cant carry a note, those legends would have never got off the ground. 

WELL SAID!!  YOU DO HAVE A POINT  (clapping)...I think in the old days though there just wasn't that much competition, heck I wish I had tried to sing back then when I thought I couldn't!! (still can't don't think) (lol)

Ag Man

Many of you obviously do not know what "Entertainer of the Year" means....putting together a year's worth of top hits, having a successful tour, getting lots of radio play...Taylor was far above the other candidates in those catagories.  If you don't like her music then of course you will disagree with her being selected but again she wins it hands down based upon the selection criterion.

George is the best of the lots over the career...Kenny the best over the last ten years...Brad..damn good the last five years...Taylor..has it for the last year...

While I feel she is a nice singer she doesn't have the strongest voice but hell she does a great job with what God-given tallent she has.  Many of you are ripping for having no talent...WRONG...she has great talent and uses it correctly. 

Oh to be so perfect as some of you are....