Your advice and help on my investment.

Help Support Steer Planet:

savaged

I really value the wealth of knowledge represented on SP.    Here goes.....

On October 18th I purchased a Jan. heifer at the Bainridge Sale in  Zainesville,  Ohio.  I paid $5000.00 for her, which represents a great deal of cash for me and my family.  Our goal is to improve our genetics and breeding program, and to have a nice show heifer for this winter to boot.

I brought her home that evening in a standard stock trailer, and penned her in the barn by herself, but adjacent to another (very healthy) heifer.  That was a Saturday night.  By Tuesday into Wednesday she had a cough and nasal drainage, and by Thursday her respiration rate looked slightly elevated to me.  Having invested what I did, I called my vet and asked him to see her ASAP.  On Saturday morning he came out and gave her an injection of Baytril, and said her lungs sounded below par, whatever that means.  Temp was 104.    He left me a follow-up of the Baytril to give her Monday, and said she should be fine.

By the following Thursday her respiration was still up and still had drainage and a cough.  I called the vet, he checked her, said her lungs sounded better, but gave her an injection of Draxxin and 4 sulfa boluses to play it on the safe side. Temp was 103.  Next morning she looked great, and then by Sunday she was back to the same old deal.

That has been the pattern since.  She gets treated, responds briefly, then drops back to a temp, cough, elevated respiration, and drainage.  Since Oct. 18 she has had the meds as described above, plus  two series of Nuflor, two series of Exceed, and another injection of Draxxin (a day ago).    She has also had numerous injections of Banamine (sp) for the high temp.

Of note, except for some drop-off with the Nuflor, her appetite has remained good, with her consuming 10 - 20 lbs of show feed per day, and a flake or two of hay.  She also drinks plenty of water.  She was loose in her stool for a short time but generally good and solid in terms of bowels.  I give her appetite express daily with feed.  I also keep her as cool as possible, keeping her in a sheltered but outside air exposed area (as my vet encouraged).

What to do?  My fear now is that she is over medicated, but I have equal fear that she might become seriously ill and drop off quickly without the meds.  I asked my vet about mycoplasma, but he does not believe this is a factor (though I am still thinking it may be).  I have NOT noticed any swollen joints, as  is sometimes associated with a secondary mycoplasma infection.

I called the seller (Bain Goff) and reported the trouble.  He said that she was vaccinated, but that he would consult his vet for any additional advice.  That was one week ago, and I don't think he intends to call me back.  I told him that in my vet's opinion, considering the onset of symptoms,  she was infected when purchased.  Although, she did not show visible symptoms on sale day.

Of course, we have not even been able to think about washing her, let alone get her ready to show.

(By the way, the other heifer near her did become sick about 10 days later, but required just one course of Nuflor for a full recovery)

My Questions:

First, is there anything else I can try or do?
Would you expect the seller to take some responsibility should the worst happen?

Please Help!!!!

MYT Farms

Whenever I let any amount go for a heifer, the buyer is usually very happy that I purchased her. For example, in spending $5000 on heifer, I would expect the buyer to bend over backwards to make sure you are happy. That is, if he wants a customer longer than one sale. I would express your concern to the buyer again and perhaps try to reach some type of reimbursement. As for her sickness, I can't think of anything that you aren't doing. On another note, when you bought her, you assumed the risk of owning an animal.  But if the heifer was medicated and looked good when she sold when she really wasn't healthy, the buyer is responsible for tricking you. Tough call, but I certainly wouldn't let the buyer off the hook if he is trying to avoid you. Good luck. Hope the heifer gets better.

Davis Shorthorns

I would defiantly get a second opinion.  Call different large animal vets in your area and have them look at her.  Even if you don't have another one in the area, take her somewhere else.  I would at least call around and see what other vets would think.  Also with her getting sick that fast after bringing her home I would try to contact some other buyers at that sale and find out if they had any problems with their animals.  Just a thought.

chambero

I highly doubt the buyer tried to trick or otherwise deceive you.  Cattle get sick, especially when getting moved to a new home.  They have an inherent immunity to the surroundings they grow up in, but moving them somewhere else challenges them.

All that being said, I've had trouble getting cattle to respond to Draxxin.  We still have the best luck for respiratory problems with our old (relatively speaking) standby - Micotil.  But its your vet's call.  Sounds like he's telling you the right things to do.

kanshow

I'd be worried about her turning into a chronic.  

Both Davis & MYT are right on with their advice.    I know there are sellers that will bend over backwards for practically anything  and others that must think 'don't let the gate hit ya on the way out'    I'd think customer service, word of mouth advertising, reputation are all things that the seller should be concerned with..  making it right on one heifer will go a long way to keep that going.  

Jill

I have to agree with Chambero on this one, this time of year calves get sick, that's just the luck of the draw doesn't really have anything to do with whether or not they get sold or whether the other one in the pen is sick, I would have to wonder why it took a week to medicate the heifer after noticing she had problems. 
I would consult another vet since she hasn't gotten over this and you are a month and a half down the road it is I would guess something more than just a cold.

justme

Our calves had something like that right before the royal.  I wish I could remember what they got.  I know the vet I.V'd them all and a shot.  Our bull went thru 3 rounds of it.  Never went off feed, and kept gaining.  Good luck, if I can find out what they gave, I'll post it.

OH Breeder

If you are in Ohio. TAKE HER TO Ohio State Vet Hospital. They have a large animal ER. You can call them direct or have your vet call them. They can do a bronchoscopy if needed after Xrays and look at her lungs. I had one heifer a couple years ago go through the same thing and developed obstuctive pulmonary disease and had to be put down. I now do not mess. 5K is alot for me as well. If I was you it doesn't hurt to have your heifer checked out. Also, they are very reasonable. Couple of things  I took there OSU was cheaper than having my vet come to the farm and attempt it. With all the bugs today and medicating animals like humans we can develop resistant strains. I am not a vet and would consult your vet on referring her to Ohio state.

MYT Farms

OH Breeder said:
If you are in Ohio. TAKE HER TO Ohio State Vet Hospital. They have a large animal ER. You can call them direct or have your vet call them. They can do a bronchoscopy if needed after Xrays and look at her lungs. I had one heifer a couple years ago go through the same thing and developed obstuctive pulmonary disease and had to be put down. I now do not mess. 5K is alot for me as well. If I was you it doesn't hurt to have your heifer checked out. Also, they are very reasonable. Couple of things  I took there OSU was cheaper than having my vet come to the farm and attempt it. With all the bugs today and medicating animals like humans we can develop resistant strains. I am not a vet and would consult your vet on referring her to Ohio state.
OH B, excellent idea.

OH Breeder

I was surprised  how much they really care about the animals and the cost is pretty minimal. We spent 8k on a heifer and she developed a foot abscess. Caused her to abort from the inflammation (prostaglandin stimulation ) We were able to get her foot Xrayed and their was nothing in it and no channels had formed in the leg itself. They kept her for 3 days. $250.00

MYT Farms

OH Breeder said:
I was surprised  how much they really care about the animals and the cost is pretty minimal. We spent 8k on a heifer and she developed a foot abscess. Caused her to abort from the inflammation (prostaglandin stimulation ) We were able to get her foot Xrayed and their was nothing in it and no channels had formed in the leg itself. They kept her for 3 days. $250.00
:eek: Usually that would be like $2500, if not more. VERY reasonable, it seems to me.

Losin Money

We have taken showpigs and cattle up to Ohio State.  They are absolutely awesome.  I wouldnt take a Michigan calf up there though!

Jill

Davis Shorthorns said:
I have had some really good luck here the Kansas State University's Vet Hospital. 

I'll second that, if you are near Manhattan it is normally your best bet.

savaged

simtal said:
If she's still eating well, thats encouraging.  How does look? Has she gained any weight?

She has continued to gain weight at a normal pace, and she does not "look" ill. 

amss101

You said she had stayed on feed, but has her weight remained the same or some gain...I would be additionally concerned if she was eating and not gaining/losing.  It sounds as if you have exhausted the 'normal' medications for this situation, what does her temp. get to if you let nature take its course?  We've had animals in the past, that after several rounds of antibiotics and such, we've let work through it as long as their temp. didn't get TOO high-if she is eating, drinking, and mobile...maybe giving her some time to rebound.  Of course that is easier to say from this side of the computer.  I think I would at least expect a call back from the seller even if he doesn't have any "responsibility", that would just be courteous.  GOOD LUCK, and keep us updated.

savaged

amss101 said:
You said she had stayed on feed, but has her weight remained the same or some gain...I would be additionally concerned if she was eating and not gaining/losing.  It sounds as if you have exhausted the 'normal' medications for this situation, what does her temp. get to if you let nature take its course?  We've had animals in the past, that after several rounds of antibiotics and such, we've let work through it as long as their temp. didn't get TOO high-if she is eating, drinking, and mobile...maybe giving her some time to rebound.  Of course that is easier to say from this side of the computer.  I think I would at least expect a call back from the seller even if he doesn't have any "responsibility", that would just be courteous.  GOOD LUCK, and keep us updated.

She appears to be gaining weight at least at a typical rate of gain.  Definitely not losing any weight. 

CJB

savaged said:
I called the seller (Bain Goff) and reported the trouble.  He said that she was vaccinated, but that he would consult his vet for any additional advice.  That was one week ago, and I don't think he intends to call me back.  I told him that in my vet's opinion, considering the onset of symptoms,  she was infected when purchased. 

I wouldn't be so quick to judge the seller.  I was at the same sale and made a couple purchases, and had some more ???'s sale night that he couldn't answer.  It took about 10 days, but he did get back with me and take care of everything. 

About the heifer...Those cattle had been penned for at least one full day, probably two, in a stockyards.  There are lots of bugs that come and go through a yards with regularity.  I have a hard time thinking that the seller intentionally tried to trick you.  I would have to agree with Ohio breeder about taking a trip to OSU with her.  It's by far the most economical way for me to get an animal treated at any time during the day.  They are always on call, and for the most part, are always on top of things.

Good luck to you and your heifer.  BTW, what lot # was she?