Zicam- Does it work?

Help Support Steer Planet:

shortyjock89

Well, it's that time of year again....there's a cold going around over here, and I started to feel I might be the next victim...My throat started to hurt just a little last night, and I was stuffed up this morning when I woke up.  I used that Zicam stuff, squirted it up my nose and whatnot.  But I was wondering, does it really work?  It would be great if it did, because it takes me twice as long to get over colds and stuff since I had my heart surgery (almost two years ago now  <party>)...so if anyone has any great remedies for colds, especially the sore throat part, chime in! 

I bet we've done this before, but oh well, it won't hurt anyone.

shortyjock89

Don't worry...I'm not set to go to slaughter for another year...I'm REALLY hard doin'  (lol)

rtnok

Have you started to cough yet? That was the next step fought it with zicam and cough drops. For two and a half weeks then went to the doctor with two prescribtions filled twice and two more weeks I'm finally over it. roni

shortyjock89

No cough, and the Zicam really cleared up my nose this morning...now I just have to deal with that sore throat and being a little achy..better so far!

steermomintx

I swear by Robitusin CF, helps the throat, cough and stuffiness.  Hope you feel better soon!! (angel)

JDP

I know it sounds crazy and I thought the same when i tried it.  but if you gargle with peroxide when you start feeling a sore throat it is the best thing I have found.  I can usually be over it in a couple of days.  i will even take small sips just to get it down on that lump of whatever it is in your throat.  Good Luck.

shortyjock89

Hmm...Peroxide might not be a bad idea...I know some of my friends gargle it to whiten their teeth..so it can't be THAT bad...I think I'll try it before I brush my teeth at lunch.  It's also amazing how much just drinking lots of water can help...I finally figured out why they said to drink a lot of fluids last year when I was pretty sick..

TJ

Sounds like you are doing about all that you can do RE a cold... but, yes, lots of fluids helps.  Hope you continue to feel better!

BTW, if you ever are worried about preventing/knocking the flu or a stomach virus, I have just the supplement.  It's a natural anti-viral & it's pretty amazing stuff!  ;) 

inthebarnagain

If you can tolerate it, a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar as soon as anything starts, sneezing, lump in throat, etc. does wonders.  I also take massive doses of Vitamin C, 6,000 mgs or more if you can tolerate it.  The only way I can drink the apple cider vinegar is mixed in mountain dew and slam it, the capsules are much easier! :p

shortyjock89

Whoo, now that sounds pleasant  ;D.  I take the Vitamin C, but sometimes it really hurts the ol' throat.  My dad told me to take a shot of Jack and one of Tequila, chase it with a beer, and go to sleep for a while.  I don't think that my professors would like to that too much!  About to try the peroxide and another hit of Zicam, I'll give an update on how I am this evening!

fluffer

I always take zicam when I think I am getting it.  I think it works!  Some colds are worse then others, but sometimes I will kick it really quick.  The other thing I take is zinc and vit C.  Good Luck!

Fluffer

DL

Olson Family Shorthorns said:
Don't worry...I'm not set to go to slaughter for another year...I'm REALLY hard doin'  (lol)
With all those issues you should probably be allowed to live your life on the farm LOL

Zicam is basically zinc and there is controversial evidence that zinc may or may not decrease signs and symptoms of the cold -but there is good evidence that zinc is required for the cells that fight infection
http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/cc/zinc.html

Cattlemaster won't help you but Vitamin C is good but I would also make sure I get a flu shot and a Pneumococcal pneumonia vaccine - talk to your doc not your vet  ;) about that

justme

hehehe how about a shot of NuFlor?  just kidding hope your feeling better.  The old guy down the road says a shot of jack....if it doesn't cure ya it'll kill ya he said.  He's over 90 so it must work lol (thumbsup)

stick

Heard LA200 works well, just make sure it's in the butt. If you end up with a knot your shorts will hide it, or I'm sure your vet, er doctor would be more than happy to perform a little nip/tuck. Also heard that if you use it with some dex a knot shouldn't be any problem :D :D :D My grandfather always used a warm wool sock around his throat and a little honey, a little lemon, and a lot of Jack.

JbarL

30deg 17&#039; 11.73 N 81deg 35&#039;59.94&q
heres a couple  may try...

1) bake onions in an open fireplace: then tie them around your neck

2)  make a poultice of kerosene, turpentine, and pure lard ( ro prevent blistering) and place this on your neck....in five minutes yoiu weill be able to tast the kerosende in yoiur throat, and the cure will have begun....then take two or three drops of kerosene oil in a spoon with a pinch of of sugar and swallow this to complete the treatment......... jbarl    courtsey of "the fox fire book"  first edition

reno1014

To cure the common cold put on some warm jammies, get some hot tea, and lay in bed with your remote control...turn the TV to QVC and charge up  a little
over a grand on your credit card.  My sister swears by this!  I have to use the Zicam, because its way cheaper....and it seems to work for us here.

DLD

The best thing I've found for a bad sore throat is Tylenol Sore Throat liquid.  I used to get strep throat at least once a year, and it was the only thing I found that helped it.  Now if I feel a sore throat coming on, I use more Listerine (several times a day instead of just once or twice) and it seems to help.

shortyjock89

This Zicam stuff is for real.  I've been using it all today, and I can breathe easily.  It helps with the sore throat too.  I'm going to hit it up again before bed and then when I wake up, but I think I can be over this thing by the time the weekend is over.