2 strains of TH

Help Support Steer Planet:

Shady Lane

DL said:
kfacres said:
my guess, the holstein back in the outcast pedigree,

Holsteins have plenty of genetic defects but TH isn't one of them

This is entirely third hand, but I was told by a Breeder who breeds SH's as well as owns a dairy where they milk Holsteins (which are purebred) that they had TH defective calves out of their PB Holstein cows.

Take it with a grain of salt.

DL

Shady Lane said:
DL said:
kfacres said:
my guess, the holstein back in the outcast pedigree,

Holsteins have plenty of genetic defects but TH isn't one of them

This is entirely third hand, but I was told by a Breeder who breeds SH's as well as owns a dairy where they milk Holsteins (which are purebred) that they had TH defective calves out of their PB Holstein cows.

Take it with a grain of salt.

I take everything with a grain of salt - especially third hand salt[

there are many defects that can look like TH but are not TH - CVM (complex vertebral malformation) in Holsteins could look like TH. In fact the AM in the Angus can look like TH to the untrained eye. So unless he did the right thing with his defective calves - contact the breed association, necropsy and submit samples it is salt in my book

GONEWEST

I'm still trying to understand how he got that mutation if there is none of that bull in his pedigree? Since the bull where the defect originates was born after the dam of this Jazzman bull it shouldn't be too hard to see since he has been DNA tested to verify parentage should it? What am I missing?