3 great sales in Iowa this weekend

Help Support Steer Planet:

showsteerdlux

I was at Cyclone Trace earlier in the summer and I can't see how 1b went for $70 grand. Anyone have Sullivans results? There was one deal, that being 4e, she went pretty cheap.

cattlefarmer

$98 grand you bet, just in time keep drinking that Sullivan kool aid.  There was some back door deal worked out before the sale ever started on that heifer.  Welcome to the to the pure bred cattle breeding country club.  Its that way with all the big name breeders in all breeds not just shorthorns.  I watched two breeders at cyclone trace sit next each other and bid against each other for a while before they teamed up and started bidding as one after the price got high enough.  There are all kinds of tricks like that happen at these sales!

justintime

cattlefarmer said:
$98 grand you bet, just in time keep drinking that Sullivan kool aid.  There was some back door deal worked out before the sale ever started on that heifer.  Welcome to the to the pure bred cattle breeding country club.  Its that way with all the big name breeders in all breeds not just shorthorns.  I watched two breeders at cyclone trace sit next each other and bid against each other for a while before they teamed up and started bidding as one after the price got high enough.  There are all kinds of tricks like that happen at these sales!

don't think I have drank much Sullivan kool aid. I do give them credit for doing what they have done since coming into this breed.Guess where I am at, is that they dropped a huge investment into this breed when they came to it, and now they are recouping dividends. I was always told that this was the American dream, and I guess most anyone is free to give it a try if they can find the capitol to do it.  I cannot play in that ball field, but I have purchased 2 Sullivan females in the past two years. Both with pedigrees I thought would fit our program and both at very moderate prices.  Both look excellent on pasture, and have not received a stitch of grain since their arrival here. I am only saying that some on this site have made the claim that nothing with the SULL prefix can work in the real world. I find it interesting that the Sullivan firm sold more bulls privately to commercial producers than any other breeder in the US and have done this for more than one year. This doesn't include the breeder bulls and clubby bulls that sell at auction in their sales. Just thought that was an interesting fact. That is saying nothing about the quality of the bulls, as I have not seen them, but it does tell me that some commercial producers are willing to give them a try. I expect most of them sold in the midwest states and not to the short grass areas, but I do not know that information. From the recent large purchases the Sullivan operation has purchased in the recent few months, they are going to make an even larger impact. I will give Mr. Sullivan credit for being very open minded and willing to try any bloodlines to try to build from. They have also gone out and found some very easy calving bulls for use on their heifers . Our heifers literally spit their calves out in minutes ... just the way I like them to come. I am just giving credit where some credit is due. What their cattle sell for is not my call. As long as people are willing to pay the price, I guess that is what they are worth... not much different than any other commodity.

cattlefarmer

Yep trump twice in the first two generations will make those commercial bull buyers come back for more, like most of those pedigrees have that are sullivans life blood!  Sure would be what i want to put in my herd of cows.  Wise old shorthorn breeder told me once want to make them hard keeping put some trump in your breeding program.  He was right too, had a sunny son that we bought cheap for a spare bull and was he hard keepin even with an easy keepin bottom side.  That bull didnt stick around to long.   

Hilltop

cattlefarmer said:
$98 grand you bet, just in time keep drinking that Sullivan kool aid.  There was some back door deal worked out before the sale ever started on that heifer.  Welcome to the to the pure bred cattle breeding country club.  Its that way with all the big name ebreeders in all breeds not just shorthorns.  I watched two breeders at cyclone trace sit next each other and bid against each other for a while before they teamed up and started bidding as one after the price got high enough.  There are all kinds of tricks like that happen at these sales!
I shouldn't be, but am sure surprised at how many JEALOUS people are on here wishing they had a calf that sold for 70 to 98k!
Great to see the sales go good! (clapping)

shocav

showsteernc said:
I was at Cyclone Trace earlier in the summer and I can't see how 1b went for $70 grand. Anyone have Sullivans results? There was one deal, that being 4e, she went pretty cheap.
I was the purchaser of that heifer a long with lot 11.  Wasn't really looking to buy her but thought she was under the money and a good future breeding piece.  The ones I really liked were the 3B and 7a but both were a little pricey for me.  But I did like them better than anything I saw at Sullivans

Okotoks

kane1598 said:
Shocav, im not sure who you are but i placed the winning bid on lot 1b myself at cyt. I think you need to stop pulling peoples leg on here. I was at the sale, placed the winning bid, and was announced as the new owner. the heifer is in my name and will be shown by me.
I think he was referring to 4E!

shocav

kane1598 said:
Shocav, im not sure who you are but i placed the winning bid on lot 1b myself at cyt. I think you need to stop pulling peoples leg on here. I was at the sale, placed the winning bid, and was announced as the new owner. the heifer is in my name and will be shown by me.

Lighten up Kane I was responding to the comment on the 4e heifer, apology accepted

shocav

kane1598 said:
my sincerest apologies! we didnt get home untill 3 am last night, and i was told that i needed to come and take a took at this. sorry again.

no problem, you bought a nice heifer, good luck with her

showsteerdlux

shocav said:
showsteernc said:
I was the purchaser of that heifer a long with lot 11.  Wasn't really looking to buy her but thought she was under the money and a good future breeding piece.  The ones I really liked were the 3B and 7a but both were a little pricey for me.   But I did like them better than anything I saw at Sullivans
I envy you on 4e, we were on the phone and lost reception/couldn't hear. You got a good deal.

shocav

Cell coverage can get a little iffy in Western Iowa.  I liked that heifer's femininity.  Some of her sibs had more rib, hopefully we can breed that into her.

showsteerdlux

Yea, they said she lacked a little middle compared to the others but she was still my pick. I was surprised 15b didn't go higher. I guess we didn't have cell service on that one, because we were supposed to get a call on her.

JCC

justintime said:
So where is this broken US economy I keep hearing about? I just heard that the Sullivan sale today was a record breaker. $98,000 top heifer. I was told it may be the biggest crowd ever at a Shorthorn sale in over 50 years. I never heard any averages but just that the sale was tremendous from front to back. Looking forward to hearing more... any reports would be appreciated.

Kinda makes me wonder where they would ever put all the people if they ever raised real world cattle. BTW, John Sullivan has sold the most Shorthorn and Shorthorn Plus bulls to commercial producers in the past few years, than any other breeder in the US. Makes me wonder what is wrong with these people. Don't they know these cattle won't work commercially?
Guess the reason is that what is considered " real world" has a different definition depending on where you live.

Your kidding right JIT??? Please tell me you are! IF you truly think that you can market SULL cattle as any other than great show ring cattle then you are more delirious than I had previously though. Johns cattle will perform in the show ring and I don't believe that anyone will argue that fact with you. But to say he is producing something that fits the commercial industry is ridiculous. If you are trying to sell those cattle as commercially oriented to someone new to the breed I believe that you are setting yourself up for failure. If you go though his catalog and look at the pedigrees and "study your lessons" you will see how very few of those cattle are carrying 1 shot or less of Trump and Trump in my world is in no way commercially viable.

John has had a great couple of years selling some bulls through his bull sale but again to say they were sold to commercial cattlemen is in my opinion incredibly off base. I would however say that he is marketing his bulls to either other SH owners and clubby guys. If I am wrong I welcome John to send me a message and I will come on here an apologize.

shocav

showsteernc said:
Yea, they said she lacked a little middle compared to the others but she was still my pick. I was surprised 15b didn't go higher. I guess we didn't have cell service on that one, because we were supposed to get a call on her.

I am a sucker for those reall angular females.  I bought her purely as a breeding piece if you are interested in her for showing purposes she could be bought

red roan

cattlefarmer said:
Yep trump twice in the first two generations will make those commercial bull buyers come back for more, like most of those pedigrees have that are sullivans life blood!  Sure would be what i want to put in my herd of cows.  Wise old shorthorn breeder told me once want to make them hard keeping put some trump in your breeding program.  He was right too, had a sunny son that we bought cheap for a spare bull and was he hard keepin even with an easy keepin bottom side.  That bull didnt stick around to long.   
  wonder why it was cheap.hmmm

oakbar

Congratulations to the CYT, Studer/Berg, and Sullivan folks on your very successful sales this weekend!!!  Well done!!

The only complaint I have is that John Hagie outbid me on every darn one of the embryo lots I wanted at Studers and Sullivans!!  Oh well, I guess John and I will just have to get together and negotiate our way out of this situation!!  I have a pregnancy that I might be able to use as a bargaining chip!!  Ha, Ha!!

Seriously, well done everyone!!  You did the breed proud!

cattlefarmer

red roan said:
cattlefarmer said:
  wonder why it was cheap.hmmm
  Yep I found out why, but it also cemented my opinion of trump influenced cattle. 

cattlefarmer

Hilltop said:
cattlefarmer said:
$98 grand you bet, just in time keep drinking that Sullivan kool aid.  There was some back door deal worked out before the sale ever started on that heifer.  Welcome to the to the pure bred cattle breeding country club.  Its that way with all the big name ebreeders in all breeds not just shorthorns.  I watched two breeders at cyclone trace sit next each other and bid against each other for a while before they teamed up and started bidding as one after the price got high enough.  There are all kinds of tricks like that happen at these sales!
I shouldn't be, but am sure surprised at how many JEALOUS people are on here wishing they had a calf that sold for 70 to 98k!
Great to see the sales go good! (clapping)
Sorry but you are wrong I am not jealous of sullivan.  A bit doubtful of prices yes, jealous not in the slightest.  Like I said I have seen it all at these big name breeder sales.  Actually over heard one conversation between the seller and the buyer so I am aware of what goes on there.  Those $70k  heifers wont pay many bills at my place.