3 great sales in Iowa this weekend

Help Support Steer Planet:

hangonsloopy

justintime said:

I find it interesting that the Sullivan firm sold more bulls privately to commercial producers than any other breeder in the US and have done this for more than one year. This doesn't include the breeder bulls and clubby bulls that sell at auction in their sales. Just thought that was an interesting fact. .

???????? ???  There is no way that is a true statement.  Where did you find the numbers on that?  Cause I would have to see them to believe that. :-\

justintime

Came back to answer this question. I asked the ASA who in the US had marketed the most bulls to commercial producers in the last couple years. The answer I got was Sullivan Farms, Dunlop, IA.  I was just " assuming" that they might know the answer to my question. From what I was told, they have been selling quite a few Shorthorn and Shorthorn Plus bulls privately out of their pens. Don't know why I would have been told this if it wasn't right, in any event I accepted this as correct.

hangonsloopy

Sorry I took your statement as being any breeder in any breed. 

But anyway of course he is going to sell a few bulls, and being the number 1 seller of bulls to commercial guys in the shorthorn breed is not a huge stat to brag about,  there flat arent many guys looking for those bulls to put on a commercial cow herd, too many better options out there.
Also im sure he has to try to market bull calves that way as much as possible because I doubt he has guys lining up to buy steer calves to put in their feedlot, once again to many better options out there for that also.

peachy

Sullivan has created his own market and in my opinion has done a damn good job! I'm sure his steers fatten up to 1300lbs at 15 months. Let us learn from John not bash him. The  Shorthorn breed is definitely better with him than without him.

oakbar

I think you might be surprised how many people would want the steers and bulls from the Sullivan genetics.    Our "showring" bloodlines--including the Trump bred cattle--grow very well and hang a very good carcass.  We don't have any Trump on Trump calves, but our Sonny's, etc. grow very well.  Granted, some buyers will try to use the CAB designation as an excuse to cut your price but--at least in our case-- I would much rather have  the Shorthorn lines than many of the other Maine, Clubby, etc. type bulls as far as growth and carcass.  Even our calves that are half Red Angus don't seem to have any advantages over the Shorthorns we raise.  Small sample but that't the way it is around here.

trevorgreycattleco

Without kicking the hornets nest I will ask at what cost will these finish at 1300 lbs and 15 months? when you live in corn country and grain is cheap, this works. On fescue and marginal hay, this fails.

oakbar

Grain is not cheap anywhere but we don't have any grass finished cattle in our area.  Just proves the point made countless times on SP--you need to pick the genetics that work for your needs and your environment.  Hopefully, without propagating  negative perceptions about other breeders programs.  JMHO

oakbar

Just a follow up thought.    In my opinion, the roan coloring is a much larger problem for the Shorthorns than either calving ease or growth.   If the breed was all red I don't think the other perceptions would persist as much as  they do and the breed would be used more routinely in crossbreeding programs.    Charolais are certainly not an easy calving breed as a whole, but they are still used consistently in cross breeding programs.  Neither are Charolais bashed on SP.   But I guess the whole CAB thing is  another topic that's been discussed ad nauseum already.    Too bad that my favorite color pattern is a red neck roan, huh!! JMHO   

trevorgreycattleco

Fescue is what dominates my farm by a long shot. It is what the good Lord gave me to work with so I try. Fescue dominates alot of this grand ol land. Hearty stuff. My cows love crabgrass as well. I would have never guessed that. Any grass I can grow with sunshine and water that the cows like and grow well on is a good thing I guess. It is odd to me Ausratlia finishes their beef on grass and nobody questions this. Do it in the USA and your looney. Corn glorious corn.

Okotoks

oakbar said:
Just a follow up thought.    In my opinion, the roan coloring is a much larger problem for the Shorthorns than either calving ease or growth.   If the breed was all red I don't think the other perceptions would persist as much as  they do and the breed would be used more routinely in crossbreeding programs.    Charolais are certainly not an easy calving breed as a whole, but they are still used consistently in cross breeding programs.  Neither are Charolais bashed on SP.   But I guess the whole CAB thing is  another topic that's been discussed ad nauseum already.    Too bad that my favorite color pattern is a red neck roan, huh!! JMHO   
I am with you on the roans as they are also my favorite color followed by solid red with a star and roan switch. We are lucky in that in our market the roans will sell up there at the top. We have aimed our Candian association marketing plan at letting people know about Shorthorn marbling and tenderness. They are already known for mothering. We felt this was the best approach for developing a commercial bull market as there was never a problem selling the shorthorn heifers to the commercial market. it's an uphill battle but each year there are more Shorthorn bull sales in the spring and more are moving to commercial operations. There's a lot of market share to get though and we will a little at a time! Here is an ad we ran promoting the roan color!

Attachments

• Real color of Marbling Ad.jpg
    Real color of Marbling Ad.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 245

Shorthorns4us

Obotoks- I like that ad

Just a little plug- The FOOD at Studer's was absolutely amazing. 
I have all the prices written in my Studer catalog, but it is at home right now.  I thought they had a great sale with lots of people from different parts of the country.

Will

Shorthorns4us said:
Obotoks- I like that ad

Just a little plug- The FOOD at Studer's was absolutely amazing. 
I have all the prices written in my Studer catalog, but it is at home right now.  I thought they had a great sale with lots of people from different parts of the country.
I would love to see all of the Studer results.  Please post them. Thank you in advance.