A bull that can cross the boundaries between clubbie and cowboy cattle

Help Support Steer Planet:

Freddy

North central -- Nebraska on highway 183 - 30 mi
r.n.reed  what your saying is already in place an has been for years, an the first breeding season guarantee is being used faithfully to replace bulls ruined in this process ,but you have  credit so typical of americans you spend that and more an it is a vicous cycle ....I haft to agree with AJ on some of the things he is saying , one factor that he mentioned that were not paying any attention to is the difference in cattles maturity rate .This is a factior that covers calving ease ,fertility ,grading ,an fleshing ,an the term AJ uses  stayability or longevity. The cost of raising an replacing females could be cut a bunch if those cows stayed around another 4-5 years compared to what we have .
Also every one is trying to just use grass to feed there cows an every thing is going to be done cheap, if you own a bunch of land already this will proably work for a while, but has any body looked at the price of land lately, an has been rising an you can bet your taxes are rising ...    How long can this cheap grass be called cheap....just some thoughts an things I have watched over the years .

aj

Excellent Freddy. I think the WDA deal in the Shorthorn shows is a disaster. Who cares what the WDA is on a two and a half year old bull. All maximizing this does is make the bull to big to breed heifers. Throw the damn WDA deal out at least on cattle over 18 months. We are past the "baby beef" era and we are past the frame score 9 Ayatollah era. Big cows in the Shorthorn breed is the unintended consequence of the ridiculous WDA debacle. Its just wrong from a common sense aspect.

r.n.reed

I n case there was any doubt my statement was purely sarcastic.Single trait selection backed by an artificial environment has been the mainstay of the seedstock industry for centuries.Who do you blame the breeders or the guys paying big money for their product.

ROAD WARRIOR

Frankley the amount of PROFIT generated by a cow is way more important to me than the % of her body weight that she raised. The most profitable cow on my place is a 6 frame cow that on only grass in the summer and hay in the winter tips the scale at over 2000 lbs. My banker doesn't really care if the cows wean of X% of their body weight - just that they generate enough money to pay all of the notes off. And that my friends is the real bottom line. RW

justintime

I agree with aj on the WPDA factor in the show ring. I, for one pay no attention to it. I think it was instituted as a tool to show which cattle had the ability to gain, but what it has done is see who has the best feed bucket.( it was probably the idea of some college guy who has lost any concept of real world of cattle production). I agree that WPDA should be scrapped, and if it isn't scrapped, it is a useless term in older bulls especially. On a positive note, I see some shows are not weighing heifers now, which to me is a good thing. I was the Beef Chairman at Canadian Western Agribition for three years, and our beef committee passed a motion not to weigh the heifers at the show. It was interesting that this motion was passed unanimously by every breed rep on the committee ( all breeds are represented) and I thought we were on to something very good as we might eventually see heifer shown with less grease on them ( I know, It was a foolish thought!). Well, when word got out that this motion had been passed, all Hell Broke Loose! We received angry letters from many breed associations, saying that this decision would be fought vigorously by their breed. Some associations threatened to move their National shows from Agribition. Interestingly, it was the Angus, Simmental and Hereford breeds that screamed the loudest, with the Angus breed being the most vocal. I was also on the Agribition board of directors and our decision saw lengthy discussion at the board table. Because the beef committee had voted unanimously for not weighing females at the show, it was decided that breeds who wanted to weigh females could do so voluntarily, but they would have to use their own staff and do it after any Agribition entry processing was done. This sounded like a decent compromise.  Interestingly, every breed decided to weigh the females shown, so this decision was reversed the following year.

I think this discussion on cow size is one where there can be no winners. We all try to raise cattle that work for us and work for the markets we are trying to produce for. As I said earlier, the majority of my cow herd, would be similar in size to most of everyone else's who has voiced an opinion here. I expect my average cow size would be smaller than some others. I do have a few bigger framed cows, but I do not keep them just because they are big framed. They are also easy fleshing and very maternal.  I have them because they allow me to access some overseas markets such as Britain where they still demand much bigger framed cattle than most on the North American continent . These cows were selected with these markets in mind, but I have been very surprised how they have been accepted here in Canada and the US. I find it interesting that some of the same people who talk about moderating frame, are some of the same people who have purchased breedings stock and embryos from these bigger cows.  Like I said earlier, I don't try to just produce cattle and embryos for one sole marketplace, but at the same time, I do not regulate who can buy them either.  I would agree that these bigger framed cows will not work for everyone. My point is that if these cows are making me money and producing offspring that are making other people money, I find it hard to say that these cows are no good. Some of the comments I have responded to, have been the ones that state that there is no such thing as a good bigger framed cow. Maybe that is true in some people's operations, but I don't think that is true in every operation. We all try to blend genetics to design a better beast. The definition of a better beast, can vary between producers and between countries.

I would be the very first to say that you have to raise the type of cattle that works in your environment and fit the amount of management you wish to provide. Two cattlemen living side by side, may need different types of cattle, dependent on the management provided. The area I live in can be pretty harsh, much like where aj lives I expect, but we may be able to work with a different type of cow than he does . Our average annual rainfall ( snow and rain) is 12 inches, and many years we are much below this amount, and some years we get more. I am sure the majority of my cows are a different frame than many in the Midwest US or eastern Canada. That is only common sense. That said, what may be a perfect sized cow in your operation may not be a perfect cow in someone else's.

The comments about the discounts on roan cattle in parts of the US is disturbing to me. For several years after I started breeding cattle, there was some discounts on roans but it was never more than 5-6 cents a pound. When we started raising Charolais, my Charolais calves outsold me Shorthorn calves. Within 5 years, my Shorthorn calves were demanding as much at the market as the Charolais calves, and within a few more years, my white Charolais calves were being bringing less than my Shorthorn calves.  I would say right now, that here in Canada, the calves that are most in demand are the ones that should British influence along with some Continental influence. The solid reds and blacks are not receiving the premiums they once did. A good set of black calves will demand a strong dollar,as will a good set of smoky or tans, but so will a good set of roan calves.

When we were feeding cattle, we put our pot loads of fats up for bid every Monday morning. We listed the average weights, and breed if possible. If it was a load of mixed breeds we would put " British crossbred" or Continental crossbreds, and the plants would bid accordingly. The bids were faxed to us, by noon that day and we had to decide what bid we were going to accept by 4 pm the same day. We never knew where we would be getting bids from, as they could come from Alberta, Saskatchewan, Ontario, Nebraska, Minnesota or Iowa. Sometimes we would be totally surprised by getting bids from plants in Washington or Oregon. If we did not like any of the bids, we had the option of accepting none of the bids, and we would put them up for bid the following week again. We shipped loads of fat cattle to most of the packers in Canada as well as most of the Western US ( other than the southern US). I do not ever remember having any packer discount us for roan or Shorthorn cross fats, in fact, many would ask if we had more cattle like the ones we had sent.

I will also say that when we were operating our feedlot, we offered a 3 cent premium over the average market price that week, for calves from producers who purchased their bulls from us. In order to help pay for this, I increased the base price of our bulls by $200 each. It was mostly optics, but many producers thought it was a great deal. It was also good for us, as we got a percentage of our calves delivered direct from the farm without going through the auction marts , and arriving sick at the feedlot.  With this policy in place, we got cattle of all colors in the feedlot. At the packer level, we did not get anyone complaining about the roans in any load.

After reading the comments in this thread about some of the huge discounts for roan cattle, I called a fellow who manages a 10,000 head lot near here ( they are moving to 20,000 head) . This fellow also runs a cow herd with his brother, and between their cows and their father, run about 1300 cows or more. They have been buying some Shorthorn bulls from us for a few years now. Seeing that we quit feeding cattle a few years ago, I wanted his opinion as to whether they are discounted for their fed cattle that show Shorthorn influence. They also ship fat cattle to many packers in Canada and the midwest US. He said that he gets no discounts for the Shorthorn influence cattle, other than the fact that some of them do not qualify for the CAB program. He also said that many Shorthorn sired black calves do qualify though. He also said that these cattle are some of the most efficient in the feedlot. When I mentioned that roan calves are discounted $.15-$.45 in many auction marts in the Midwest US, he said, that somebody is making a pile of money at the expense of the producer. I would have to agree with him, and I think this is nothing short of highway robbery.

Change never comes easy in this business, so trying to change this absurdity may be very difficult to do. I would suggest that retained ownership would be a good way to avoid this, but this is also difficult if you only have a few roans to sell. I think if I was losing $.45/ lb on some roans, I would be trying to work with some others and grouping some roans into a feedlot. Many feedlots have programs available now, where they will pay all the feed costs and deduct the feed bill at the time of sale, and share in any profits. I think this would be a great way to convince a feedlot to consider feeding some again. If these guys show a profit, they won't be afraid to do it again.

justintime

ROAD WARRIOR said:
Frankley the amount of PROFIT generated by a cow is way more important to me than the % of her body weight that she raised. The most profitable cow on my place is a 6 frame cow that on only grass in the summer and hay in the winter tips the scale at over 2000 lbs. My banker doesn't really care if the cows wean of X% of their body weight - just that they generate enough money to pay all of the notes off. And that my friends is the real bottom line. RW

I also agree with RW's point, and that was part of what I meant regarding the size of cow. The biggest cow I have, weighs over a ton. She is also in the top 3 cows I own for fleshing ability. She is in the top 3 for generating money I have ever owned. In the three years I have owned her, she has generated over $60,000 and I have an inventory of embryos from her yet. I raise cattle for many reasons, but one of them is to make enough money so that I can live off my cows. She is NOT a cow for every operation, but she is working for me. Her offspring have sold to purebred and commercial producers alike, and they all like them. How can I say this cow is not a good cow?

In regards to the comments about the moderate Red Angus cows, I have been to two ET centers in recent months, and the two biggest cows I think I have ever seen were at these centers for flushing. I was told that the one cow was over 2400 lbs and was the mother of some great Red Angus bulls. The second cow, had not been weighed but I would say she was very close in size to the first one. I am not saying that these were good cows, but I am just saying, that there are some monster big cows working is almost every breed.

aj

Good point jit. How about this. At some point your cattle protein and mineral supplements could get to high to be worth using. If a bag of mineral hits 100$ and a 250# tub of crystalxx 30% hits 500$ a tub then who survives? Who will survive? The big heavy milking cows? I don't know. I guess we may find out. One thing I noticed as this college boy got into performance indexes in say 1980. We would weigh up the cattle and we would have heifer calves with weaning and yearling indexes of say 110 with 100 the average. These heifers were by the big framed 8 bulls of the time. Boy we threw our hats in the air and yelled yippe ki aye. We were so proud of ourselves and this new found way of identifiying these performance females. A couple years later these 110 indexing females were gone. They didn't breed back. Did they milk to hard? Did they calve to hard? At any rate they washed out. I still maintain that the 102 indexing heifer would have made the best cow and survived to fight another day so to speak. You can't convince me a larger cow isn't more costly to maintain. There could be exceptions.I think the general population of cow people are swinging it around the other direction. The halter cattle could be another deal altogether. I still don't think the halter cattle have it right. I'm not sure they ever have had it right. From the 1950's, the 1980's or what ever. I have heard the 1920's type cattle were fairly decent sized. And the British breeds cattle used on the Texas longhorns after the civil war. Maybe as long as strict selection pressure is used with no excuses for missing a calf is applied the survival of the fittest contest will have been won. I still think the last cow standing will be a range style horned Herford. She will be fighting off the last standing coyote and a couple of cochroaches....after Korea starts WW 3 in the year 2012. .........amen?

justintime

Getting back to the question about Touchdown's frame score. He has been running with cows for awhile now, so I taped him in the pasture this morning. As accurate as I could get with a hip height tap on pasture, he measured 56 " at the hip,  at 36 ,months of age, which would make him a 5.2 to possibly a 5.3. Too big for some, to small for some others, just right for me!

justintime

aj said:
Good point jit. How about this. At some point your cattle protein and mineral supplements could get to high to be worth using. If a bag of mineral hits 100$ and a 250# tub of crystalxx 30% hits 500$ a tub then who survives? Who will survive? The big heavy milking cows? I don't know. I guess we may find out. One thing I noticed as this college boy got into performance indexes in say 1980. We would weigh up the cattle and we would have heifer calves with weaning and yearling indexes of say 110 with 100 the average. These heifers were by the big framed 8 bulls of the time. Boy we threw our hats in the air and yelled yippe ki aye. We were so proud of ourselves and this new found way of identifiying these performance females. A couple years later these 110 indexing females were gone. They didn't breed back. Did they milk to hard? Did they calve to hard? At any rate they washed out. I still maintain that the 102 indexing heifer would have made the best cow and survived to fight another day so to speak. You can't convince me a larger cow isn't more costly to maintain. There could be exceptions.I think the general population of cow people are swinging it around the other direction. The halter cattle could be another deal altogether. I still don't think the halter cattle have it right. I'm not sure they ever have had it right. From the 1950's, the 1980's or what ever. I have heard the 1920's type cattle were fairly decent sized. And the British breeds cattle used on the Texas longhorns after the civil war. Maybe as long as strict selection pressure is used with no excuses for missing a calf is applied the survival of the fittest contest will have been won. I still think the last cow standing will be a range style horned Herford. She will be fighting off the last standing coyote and a couple of cochroaches....after Korea starts WW 3 in the year 2012. .........amen?

aj.... what is going on... I agree with you again. I agree in regards to performance indexes on females. Here in Saskatchewan, during the 60s to mid 80s there was a big push from our Livestock Branch of government, to get as many producers weighing all their calves at weaning and as yearlings. They had portable scales and hired people to travel from farm to farm and weigh these calves. They were then split into management groups on each farm and the calves were indexed according to performance. Some producers bit into this program big time. Here is what some of them experienced after a few years of selecting their replacements from the indexes.

One of the cattlemen who was a firm believer in the theory that growth indexes were a key to herd improvement was a Shorthorn breeder named Lynn Biggart. Lynn had a sizable operation and he was a respected cattleman and was President of the Canadian Cattleman's Association. For about15 years, Lynn selected his replacements from the top 20% of their indexes. The index sheet was the only thing he used for replacement selection. He sold the next 30 % as replacement heifers to other cattlemen and he fed out the bottom 50%. He did this for over a decade and he began to realize that his herd was starting to fall apart. He was losing maternal traits and milk in particular, and his fertility was going downhill fast. He had more open cows in the fall than he used to have. I owned a herd bull with Lynn at the time ( Four Point Major) and I oftentimes thought that Lynn was selling his best heifers to his neighbors.

After looking at his situation, he changed the way he selected his replacements. He took the top 20% indexes and they went directly into his feedlot. His replacements came from the next 20 %. The next 30 % were bred and sold as replacements and the bottom 30 % were fed out as well. His fertility, longevity, and milk improved again. Lynn was killed while flying his plane home from a CCA meeting in Calgary, but just prior to his death he told me he was seriously thinking about moving an additional 10% of the top indexing heifers to his feedlot and then selecting his replacements. I have thought about this many times. To me it is just more proof that growth and maternal traits can be antagonistic to each other.

In regards to your comment about the last cow standing being a Horned Hereford, I also would have to agree that they are pretty tough. They too, have their problems, if you consider cancer eye, prolapses, and sun burnt udders to be problems. I ran 50 Horned Hereford cows here for 6 years. I used to say that all some of them did after July 1st was keep their calf company. I had 18 ET full sisters from some legendary American Horned Hereford cow and a so called great bull, and quite frankly, I have seen humming birds with more milk. Some of these cows were very good milking females, but some were not. They were a tough bunch though, and they would be out rummaging for feed when some other cows were huddled up behind a wind break.

Silver

Don't get me wrong I like shorthorn cross cattle, but for now the industry is all black. You have to give it time to change, just like the angus had to wait there turn to overthrow herefords. Just hang in there and keep promoting the shorthorn and maybe one day it could go somewhere.

aj

I was going to say that there were several blizzards in Eastern Colorado and around in 1888 and whenever. There were alot of longhorn type cattle being driven up after the civil war. 80% of the cattle perishised. Most of the 20% that survived were herfords. The mvie "The rare breed" touched on this event. The 88 blizzard killed over 1,000 people also.

Freddy

North central -- Nebraska on highway 183 - 30 mi
The only reason Angus is number one is the CAB program , an the reason for that is that all the other breeds have used the black skin to get marketed an the Angus breed is surviving  off of that .  A  example is Obama taking over our country through the use of minority races but throw them together an BINGO..................

simtal

my thoughts:

CAB only counts if you sell on a grid, more cattle are probably sold live than grid. 

I don't think it matters as much what color your cattle are, as much as they "look" uniform, you go around these yards, plenty of non-black cattle (yellows, smokes, reds, etc) but no roans.

Shorthorn, like other minority breeds will always lag behind  in the commercial industry until their associations become data driven.  You either accept this, or you don't.  You can't have it both ways.

trevorgreycattleco

JIT thanks for taking the time to get a frame score for us. He sounds like my ideal size bull. I wish the roan thing did not exsist here myself, but it does. I choose to use solid red bulls for this reason. I no longer have anything but solid red or black cattle now. (kinda boring without the roans IMO.) I hope the day comes when we realize the hide doesn't matter. It's coming, common sense will prevail. The angus deal is a result of a great marketing campaign. I wish there was a figure on how many new cattle breeders that have no experience before went with black angus as the cow or bull of choice for their first breed. When I get questioned about my beef it always comes up. "Is this black angus?" They never ask, "Is this a Shorthorn?" The general public sure don't know what a Shorthorn or Hereford or clubby bull is nor do they care.

The reason I use red and black angus cows as my base is because of the data behind them and the acc. the data is at. Cows out of highly proven bulls is a tough thing to beat. I think the shorthorn EPD's have been munipulated to the point they are not worth the paper they are printed on. simtal is right by saying what he did. If it is to change, it will because we as breeders demand it.

Doc

trevorgreycattleco said:
JIT thanks for taking the time to get a frame score for us. He sounds like my ideal size bull. I wish the roan thing did not exsist here myself, but it does. I choose to use solid red bulls for this reason. I no longer have anything but solid red or black cattle now. (kinda boring without the roans IMO.) I hope the day comes when we realize the hide doesn't matter. It's coming, common sense will prevail. The angus deal is a result of a great marketing campaign. I wish there was a figure on how many new cattle breeders that have no experience before went with black angus as the cow or bull of choice for their first breed. When I get questioned about my beef it always comes up. "Is this black angus?" They never ask, "Is this a Shorthorn?" The general public sure don't know what a Shorthorn or Hereford or clubby bull is nor do they care.

The reason I use red and black angus cows as my base is because of the data behind them and the acc. the data is at. Cows out of highly proven bulls is a tough thing to beat. I think the shorthorn EPD's have been munipulated to the point they are not worth the paper they are printed on. simtal is right by saying what he did. If it is to change, it will because we as breeders demand it.

I thought you were a grassfed beef guy? If that is the case, then why does it matter what color their hide is? I would think you would want the most productive cattle for that market?

justintime

so... my question is... why are there so huge discounts for roans at the auction barns, when there appears to be little or no discounts when roans are sent on a rail basis? The roans, of course do not qualify for CAB, but many other cattle don't either ( ie:reds, tans, RWF, smoky, etc).  Like I said earlier, it has been a few years since we shipped fat cattle to US plants. There certainly was no signs of discounts then, as we were paid on how the cattle yielded. From what I have been told, there doesn't appear to be discounts now either on the roans sold on a rail basis. Other than for programs like CAB, why do feedlots demand uniform colors. I would suggest there is as much variation in black cattle and reds  as there is in other colors. Blacks can be anything from Holstein ,Simmental, Maine, Chi, Galloway, lowline to Angus or crosses of these.

So, if there are no discounts at the plant, or even if there are small discounts, why wouldn't there be more feedlots wanting to feed feeder cattle that can be purchased at huge discounts?I can think of no easier way to make money in the feeding business. It is simply found money. In a business that has very small margins frequently, why aren't there more feedlots willing to try these off colored cattle ( I hate that term)? You make far more money buying cattle than you will ever make selling cattle in this business, but at some point competition and supply and demand should kick in.

The last year we operated our feedlot, I was doing my own buying, and I decided to fill one pen with the cheap cattle I saw selling. I called this my zoo pen, and it was everything from cattle with strange colors, frozen ears or tails, or a damaged eye from a bad case of pinkeye, and lots that were just misfits. If they looked healthy, and were discounted I bought them. I filled the rest of the pens with so called high end quality cattle. Seeing everything we sold was sold on the rail, colors and short ears did not matter. There were some cattle in this pen that I purchased for .15 per pound. When the pens had been all sold, we had made a profit of just over $200 per head from the zoo pen, and many of the high end cattle just broke even or showed slight profits. If we had continued feeding, I think I would have filled more and more pens with this type of cattle. Not one packer complained when these cattle were on the rail.

I would think there would be people who feed some cattle that can see a deal when it is in front of them. I have heard that you can sell organic beef in many highly populated urban areas for almost 2Xs the price received on the market. I know of breeders in Ontario, who have made a small killing in this market... and color does not matter in this game. They can hardly keep up with the demand. The tree hugger crowd has to eat too, and I would think there would be some people who would enjoy taking their money.  That seems to be a very viable option to allowing others to steal cattle from you.

I can certainly understand discounts on cattle that have poor performance or are poor quality, but I do not understand discounts on animals that can perform well, and hang a good carcass. Once the hide is off, they are all brothers and sisters hanging on the rail.  This is beyond stupid!

trevorgreycattleco

JIT I am a grass fed beef guy, but when times are tough and I got to send a few to town there is no way I am ever letting someone get good cattle at a ridiculous rate because of hide color. I have learned the hard way in the past. In my neck of the woods commercial guys are solid colored cattle with a few baldies but no roans. If i want to sell bulls in my area, they need to be solid. I think this is beyond common sense but it is the way it is and my banker still needs paid.