Breeding Heifers NEED SOME HELP

Help Support Steer Planet:

RSC

kobo_ranch said:
Gosh guys, had no idea I'd start such a stir with my original question! 
Yes I'm the original poster.  My good friend whos a steer jockey told us to breed them to a Jersey to be safe, and just thought that was the best thing to do.  Yes, my main concern is calving ease, not milking, although I love a good cow that gives lots of milk!
I want to THANK EVERYONE for your feedback, I think its wonderful TJ and Dori how you take such pride you your breed.  Our herd right now consists of clubby mommas Angus/Maine crosses and a few black baldy cows.  We have about 5 absoultely beautiful heifers we've been told are "awesome" by some of the club calf guys around here. (sired by Paddy Omalley--plus about 20 or so NICE steers)  So yes, my main concern is a live calf and a live momma cow.  Unfortunately I'm still confused.  Lowlines sound good and I might consider, I'd also if I was totally sure (which you never can be) of one of the clubby bulls suggested.  Thankfully we've still got a few months out to make up our minds!!

Now I just gotta think of another GOOD QUESTION . . . to get yall going again!!  LOL  THANKS GUYS!!  I mean it!! (clapping)
Just your typical SP "What Do I breed my heifer to thread?"  (lol) 860 hits later!

Good Discussion though,  Dori and TJ I did learn some good things about your breed.  Debate is sometimes the best way to learn as long as you have thick skin! :eek:

Tony

farwest

I think TJ should give me a dollar for every unit sold of Doc Holiday. Me debating him has given him a great opportunity to promote his bull. lol.  I have a question for TJ on these mature lowline or even half lowline mature cows.  At 1100 lbs. will they have the same pelvic are as a 1400 lb. angus.  Will they be able to have the same birthweight heatwave calf that a  larger framed crossbred could have without assistance.  Just wondering.

Throttle

TJ said:
Throttle said:
TJ said:
Speaking of neck extension, here is the Res. Grand Champion Shorthorn Plus at Louisville.  I wish that I had ordered a show picture of my Lowline X Shorthorn to show you, so that you could carefully compare the 2 side by side, like I did.   Just being as honest as I can be, she doesn't have a bit more neck extension than my Lowline X Shorthorn heifer.  Actually, their front end's look virtually identical.  And this is a Res. Champ Shorthorn Plus at one of the biggest shows in the US.  She's taller than my heifer & has more roaning, but otherwise, just not a whole lot of difference, IMHO.  And I am just being as honest as I can be.  Maybe I can get a pic from Linde's & post them side by side.     

I saw this Shorty Plus heifer up close and personal at NAILE and she was a flat good one. Awesome structure, big centered, wide made, feminine in the right places, would've won if she had the right prefix. I also saw some of the Lowlines moving in as we were heading out. The pictures might compare favorably, but I cannot imagine that any judge on earth would say that they did if standing side by side in the ring. Not that there isn't a great use and place and market for Lowlines, and not meant to offend anyone, but I just don't think they are quite ready to run with the big leagues of the crossbreds, like this very good Shorthorn Plus female, regardless of how similar they may look in a picture. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the breed is relatively young when compared to the biggies, and the crossbreeding and half blood registry seems to be just starting, so with some time, they will probably stand right beside those Shorty Pluses, but not this year and probably not the next several. My 2 cents 

I think that you totally misunderstood the intention of my post...  I was referring  specifically to neck extension & I only pointed out that the 2 looked comparable.  That's not even close to saying that I would beat her.  And why would I?  My Lowline X Shorthorn heifer didn't even win Grand or Reserve in the Percentage Lowline Show!!  But, that doesn't mean that she isn't very good.   

With that said, if you saw "some" of the Lowlines moving in while you were moving out, I'm guessing that you didn't see my Lowline X Shorthorn heifer because we showed up late, due to my being sick... we arrived at dark & tied out immediately.   I was traveling with a few others, so they were late arriving too, which means... you likely didn't see the Grand Percentage Cow/Calf Pair, the Res. Grand Champion Percentage Female, the Res Grand Champion Junior Owned Percentage Female, a division winning percentage bull, a division winning percentage female, 3 Reserve division Percentage females & 1 class winning Percentage bull.   That's 10 of the "better end" percentage bloods in that SMALL show.   2 of the percentage bloods that you MIGHT have seen, showed up on Tuesday "unclipped"!!  And you probably saw a group of cattle that had just been hauled all the way from North Dakota (24 hour trip, I think I was told that).   Two or 3 other breeders that arrived on Tuesday only had fullbloods.   Anyway, you most likely missed the bulk of the better end percentage animals & you didn't see some of the others in their best light... not making excuses... just stating the facts.   You also missed the Grand Fullblood Pair & the Res Grand Champ Fullblood Female, etc.   

I'm not offended at all... you are entitled to your opinion.  I agree that Lowlines haven't been around as long, etc. & that's a valid point for sure.  And again, I never once said that my heifer would beat that heifer... my heifer didn't even win Grand or Reserve in the Percentage Lowline Show, so I am certainly not going to guarantee any victories.   ;)

Point taken on all accounts  ;) They don't have to be goose necked to be great females, and there are great females, by breed standards, in all breeds

TJ

Throttle said:
Point taken on all accounts  ;) They don't have to be goose necked to be great females, and there are great females, by breed standards, in all breeds

I agree... I personally don't like "too much" neck extension.  Some do, I don't... nothing wrong with that.  I also agree that extension is not at all a prerequisite to being a great female.  Like most everything, it all boils down to personal preference & that is why so many people often disagree with judges at shows.  That's also why the show industry has changed so much over the past 50 years.     

TJ

farwest said:
I have a question for TJ on these mature lowline or even half lowline mature cows.  At 1100 lbs. will they have the same pelvic are as a 1400 lb. angus.  Will they be able to have the same birthweight heatwave calf that a  larger framed crossbred could have without assistance.  Just wondering.

I honestly think that Lowline females are easier calving considering their smaller size.  Otherwise fullblood cows wouldn't be getting bred to Dr Who & to Charolais (I wouldn't do that, but others have & are).  But, I can't answer the pelvic area question.  I do know that Lowlines typically "widen" anything that they are bred to.  You would think that wider would probably suggest a wider pelvic area on a smaller frame, but I honestly don't know if that is the case.  I'm simply speculating which I'd rather not do. 

TJ

kobo_ranch said:
Gosh guys, had no idea I'd start such a stir with my original question! 
Yes I'm the original poster.  My good friend whos a steer jockey told us to breed them to a Jersey to be safe, and just thought that was the best thing to do.  Yes, my main concern is calving ease, not milking, although I love a good cow that gives lots of milk!
I want to THANK EVERYONE for your feedback, I think its wonderful TJ and Dori how you take such pride you your breed.  Our herd right now consists of clubby mommas Angus/Maine crosses and a few black baldy cows.  We have about 5 absoultely beautiful heifers we've been told are "awesome" by some of the club calf guys around here. (sired by Paddy Omalley--plus about 20 or so NICE steers)  So yes, my main concern is a live calf and a live momma cow.  Unfortunately I'm still confused.  Lowlines sound good and I might consider, I'd also if I was totally sure (which you never can be) of one of the clubby bulls suggested.  Thankfully we've still got a few months out to make up our minds!!

Now I just gotta think of another GOOD QUESTION . . . to get yall going again!!  LOL  THANKS GUYS!!  I mean it!! (clapping)

You are welcome!  I think wanting to play it safe with your heifers, for their 1st calf, is a very admiral thing to do.  I've played it both ways & my gambling days with heifers are over.  Others obviously think differently & that's what makes the world go round.  But, a live calf & a live momma (and a momma that will breed back) are good goals to have.

If you decide to try a Lowline Angus on your heifers, I'll help you in anyway that I can, including marketing the calves.  If you decide to use something else, I'll wish you the very best!  Regardless of what you decide, we've all given you lots to think about!  ;)

TJ

1 more not so "MINI" 1/2 blood Lowline pic.  17 month old bull out of a fullblood Lowline bull that is 6 inches shorter than Doc Holliday & out of a "mostly" Tarentaise 1st calf heifer.  64 lb. birth weight... 660+ lb. 205 adj... 17 months old in the photo... was not halter broke 40 days before the show... I was told that he went off feed while being broke & he was greener at the show than he had been prior to breaking... wide & thick, even if you can't see it... he is not a belt buckle bull by any means.     

Attachments

• GrandChampionLowlineBull.jpg
    GrandChampionLowlineBull.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 201

simtal

BCCC said:
Just saying I have had a 140lbs ALI heifer out of a two year old witch doctor x Irish Whiskey cow, And she wasn't ever feed throughout her pregnacy just out on pasture. I know not all of them are like that but some are. I wish you luck it can be hard deciding what to breed them to!!

We had a 125# bull out of grizz once

sunny

Okay, I'm kind of intrigued by the possibility of using show type Lowline bulls on some of the too big, framey cows.  My concerns though are economical.  How much is semen per unit on Doc Holiday or other show type Lowline bulls?  Most show calf herds are on the small side, so, is semen available in small quantities like 5 units or less?  And is it available at major distributors so that we don't incur huge shipping costs on small orders here and there?  All these things are factors when we place our semen orders.

The decisions are agonizing. We try to match each cow with a bull that will improve her weak points, without diminishing her strong points, so use a wide variety of bulls.  We also try to stick with proven sires, and do very little sampling of young bulls.  At the same time if a proven bull's semen is hard to come by and the price goes up we won't pay an exorbitant price for it. 

We use showy, calving ease angus bulls on all of our heifers now.  We have, in the past, used calving ease clubby or Maine bulls, but have had big calves out of them all - Witch Dr, Payback, Foreplay, Ali, and others.  We don't like to gamble on a heifer's future productivity, and hate to lose a calf.  A surprising bonus is that the Angus sired daughters out of Clubby Dams are making really nice females - our customers are making it tough to hang on to very many of them! 

There are few opportunities to show low percentage, less than 3/4 blood, lowlines or any other females in PA.  You would have to show in the crossbred classes, against the shorthorn plus, maintainer, and chi crosses.  A lot of tough cattle in that division!  But, as cows I think they may do what our Angus sired heifers do, moderating frame more, but not giving up as much width and muscle.  We have a few heifers that could stand that, if it's affordable!

cowman 52

Why in the name of GOD would you breed a heifer to a jersey???????
  If she is that small let her grow up before breeding  FORGET about this breeding to calve at TWO.  If she is that good wait till she's coming 2 to breed and breed her to a bull that you don't throw away the first calf. She may be a little late on the first one but I'd bet a substantial amount of $$$$$ she will last till she's 13-16 yrs old and how much more will she make with the 3 extra calves she brings home rather than the 1 dink and maybe the 5 or 6 she raises otherwise. 

TJ

sunny said:
Okay, I'm kind of intrigued by the possibility of using show type Lowline bulls on some of the too big, framey cows.  My concerns though are economical.  How much is semen per unit on Doc Holiday or other show type Lowline bulls?  Most show calf herds are on the small side, so, is semen available in small quantities like 5 units or less?  And is it available at major distributors so that we don't incur huge shipping costs on small orders here and there?  All these things are factors when we place our semen orders.

The decisions are agonizing. We try to match each cow with a bull that will improve her weak points, without diminishing her strong points, so use a wide variety of bulls.  We also try to stick with proven sires, and do very little sampling of young bulls.  At the same time if a proven bull's semen is hard to come by and the price goes up we won't pay an exorbitant price for it. 

We use showy, calving ease angus bulls on all of our heifers now.  We have, in the past, used calving ease clubby or Maine bulls, but have had big calves out of them all - Witch Dr, Payback, Foreplay, Ali, and others.  We don't like to gamble on a heifer's future productivity, and hate to lose a calf.  A surprising bonus is that the Angus sired daughters out of Clubby Dams are making really nice females - our customers are making it tough to hang on to very many of them! 

There are few opportunities to show low percentage, less than 3/4 blood, lowlines or any other females in PA.  You would have to show in the crossbred classes, against the shorthorn plus, maintainer, and chi crosses.  A lot of tough cattle in that division!  But, as cows I think they may do what our Angus sired heifers do, moderating frame more, but not giving up as much width and muscle.  We have a few heifers that could stand that, if it's affordable!

Actually Doc Holliday was priced specifically for the commercial market... $20 per straw.  A lot of the other Lowline bulls are $25, $30 & $35 per straw or more.  I think Fitz is $25, but I might be wrong. 

I do have Roulette for sale @ $15 per straw.  You can mix & match it with Doc Holliday & it can be shipped together.  He'll make them pretty, but he wont add the mass that Doc or Fitz would.  However, he is about the same height as Doc (maybe slightly shorter), but he's around 200 lbs. lighter.  Attached are a couple of pics of Roulette.  I recommend Doc, but Roulette is cheaper.  Both bulls are really docile, as I am told that Fitz is.  You can see for yourself just how docile Roulette is.   ;) 

Probably should get Doc marketed through a distributor & enough has moved that it would be worth it.  We will sell 1 straw or however many you want.  Shipping/handling is around $75. 

Noticed that you are in Pennsylvania.  Sister in-law lives in Washington & works in Pittsburgh.  IDK if anybody is going up to see her anytime soon or not.  Also, I've sold at least 4 shipments of Doc Holliday to Pennsylvania just off the top of my head.  Could be possible to combine shipping, but I'm not sure if any of them live that all close to you & considering gas & time, you might be better off just paying the shipping.  If I hear of somebody in the area ordering, I could let you know.  I don't know if any of the Ohio or Penn. breeders have semen for sale, but I'm thinking not.         

There is a Lowline show at the NAILE.  A few people in Ohio would like to have a Lowline show or 2 in Ohio, but it's just being talked about & not planned. 

I'm sure there are some tough cattle in the crossbred division, but I think that you will be pleasantly surprised.     

These cattle are 100% Angus.  Probably more pure than what we call "Angus".  You will gain width & guts with these cattle & they will knock off some frame... a lot easier feeding too.  Doc wont knock off as much frame as Fitz, so if you have real big females, you might want to use him.  But, the difference in the 2 bulls probably isn't all that much (3 inches or so).  Roulette is about the same height as Doc, but Roulette's calves don't seem to have the same amount of frame, so I think that Roulette will downsize a little more than Doc too.     

let me know if you have any more questions...

TJ

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 411
  • australia 454.jpg
    australia 454.jpg
    972.9 KB · Views: 203

goose

TGH said:
If you want some real calves out of these heifers use Smokin' Joe on them.  Power, Style and Performance to go along with the calving ease.  I've used most of the maine bulls out there and he is the best.

Just a personal experience with Smokin Joe, purchased 7 heifers bred to him and the first one came out 126 pounds :mad:.  Had to help her out but luckily did not have to cut her.  Out of the seven heifers the last one calved the other day and had the smallest calf, 90+ pounds.  I am not going to go that way again.  We bred 70 heifers of our own, half to Image Maker (AN) and the other half to Gigolo Joe and got along great.  Probably going to use both those bulls again for our heifers this year again.

farwest

Could you give us average birth weights on gigolo joe, largest born, and what kind of heifers,  sounds like you bred enough heifers to get a good read on him, thanks

DTW

I had all my heifers bred to morgans direction and very glad i did and will do it again.  Thanks to the reccommendation from someone that post on this site also.  Tried alot of different bulls on heifers over the years but these are the best of any angus or maine i have used on heifers.  They are also up and nursing withing 15 mins of hitting the ground. 
I would highly reccommend him on clubby bred females.  Had one first calf clubby heifer this year that had a birth weight over 100 lbs and she had a heifer calf out of morgans that weighed 83 lbs and just assisted alittle to get it passed the vulva.  Other bulls i have tried in the past either angus or maines can tend to throw a big one if things match up just right with a clubby female.  Plus those clubby bred females dont have as big of a pelvis from my experience.  I had an ali last year out of a clubby cow that actually weighed 110 lbs.  And pale faces that weighed 90 to 120 out of clubby cows two years ago.  All born unassited and shaped right but there was no way those cows would have had them out the back their first time around.
Another thing is these Morgans direction calves keep getting thicker and stouter everyday. 

TMJ Show Cattle

First off let me say this thread and most all of the threads on these lowline cattle,are interesting to say the least.In fact some of you lowline breeders at least have some interesting "facts' to back up your arguments. I've been in this "clubby" business for quite sometime,and it never fails to amaze me how passionate people can be. I would like to ask a couple questions. First, the question was raised about halfblood[example lowline/shorthorn or lowline /lowlines/Gigolo Joe]females being bred up instead down.In other words has anyone bred a lowline to a purebred shortie,got a heifer,then bred her back the 2nd time to a purebred shortie?What was the result? Do the resulting mating bring a little more "size" back into the equation? In other words will 3/4 shorties 1/4 lowlines be feasible. This question has been asked before,but do to the rather heated discussions that come about,the question never seems to get answered satisfactory.Correct me if I'm wrong,but the Highlander craze seems to be taking shape as far as crossbreeding for club calves. What are their advantages over a lowline,except maybe "hair"? Now that the main question I had has been asked,let's talk about these 48 or 49 inch finished steers that have won shows. I come from Oklahoma where they have used 51 to 52 inch steers for champion for many years. I think primarily college judging coaches and some of their students.Most of the steers have weighed from 1275 to 1295 lbs. One judge several years ago was informed he would never be asked back to judge OKC because he used a steer that was 501/2 inches tall that weighed 1190lbs.Although the steer was finished,it didn't go over to hot.The only other calf that I have heard of was about 5 or 6 years ago I was told the champion steer in Houston was 49 inches tall. I know that ordeal caused one hell of a stir amongst cattlemen in Texas and Oklahoma.Nowadays, steers in OKC are anywhere from 511/2 to 53 inches and weigh 1295 to 1350 with some of the heavier ones being drawn back some.Now all this being said,I tend to like steers around 52 inches that weigh 1300 to 1325. In fact none of our club calf cows weigh over 1400lbs.I think the whole idea of the lowline and purebred discussion should be to reach a happy medium.If it means the lowlines can be used consistantly to help downsize some of the larger framed cattle for "clubby" purposes then so be it. As long as I can breed "up" to have 1/4 blood lowlines it would work for me. After all, I have met the Bloomberg's and they do a fine job with their cattle. I have known Jerry Adamson for over 30 years,if it works for him,it just might work for us. He has been pretty successful with new trends over the years. I now live in Wisconsin and there are a few lowlines around at county shows.Most of the natives in this neck of the woods LOVE their big ole Simmy's which is ok by me also.Now one other point I would like to make is this: Although there have been drastic improvements made in Arkansas and some other southern state's when it comes to having exceptional "show" cattle,the competition there compared to many other states is still not near as strong to make comparabl;e judgements about how good a AOB heifer may or may not be. I say this as I used to judge many shows back in the 70's and 80's in that area,have attended shows even as recent as 2006.There are exceptions to every rule,however if the lowline folks ever win SUPREME Champion female at one of the so called MAJORS,or a prominent State Fair then it's Katy bar the door,the arguments would be over.

goose

farwest said:
Could you give us average birth weights on gigolo joe, largest born, and what kind of heifers,  sounds like you bred enough heifers to get a good read on him, thanks

I don't have the actual numbers in front of me but I think we ended up with 30 or so (40 AId GJ) Gigolo Joes calves out of our heifers and probably averaged 75 pounds for a birth weight.  We assisted one heifer (Ali) and I believe that calf was around 85 pounds.  All our Ali heifers had Gigolo calves, we had some other clubby bred heifers we used him on also and had no problems.  Only thing I am going to do different this year is breed the angus based heifers to Gigolo and breed the clubby type to Image Maker(AN).  GJ seemed to add some color to what we used him on, mayber 5 calves.  Time will tell how the calves grow but he is my short list of Maines to use on heifers.

Another thing I can say is that Gigolo had a longer gestation.  The angus calves started two weeks early up till the due date and the GJs came on the due date to two weeks later.  All heifers were synched and bred on the same day.

TJ

TMJ Show Cattle said:
First off let me say this thread and most all of the threads on these lowline cattle,are interesting to say the least.In fact some of you lowline breeders at least have some interesting "facts' to back up your arguments. I've been in this "clubby" business for quite sometime,and it never fails to amaze me how passionate people can be. I would like to ask a couple questions. First, the question was raised about halfblood[example lowline/shorthorn or lowline /lowlines/Gigolo Joe]females being bred up instead down.In other words has anyone bred a lowline to a purebred shortie,got a heifer,then bred her back the 2nd time to a purebred shortie?What was the result? Do the resulting mating bring a little more "size" back into the equation? In other words will 3/4 shorties 1/4 lowlines be feasible. This question has been asked before,but do to the rather heated discussions that come about,the question never seems to get answered satisfactory.Correct me if I'm wrong,but the Highlander craze seems to be taking shape as far as crossbreeding for club calves. What are their advantages over a lowline,except maybe "hair"? Now that the main question I had has been asked,let's talk about these 48 or 49 inch finished steers that have won shows. I come from Oklahoma where they have used 51 to 52 inch steers for champion for many years. I think primarily college judging coaches and some of their students.Most of the steers have weighed from 1275 to 1295 lbs. One judge several years ago was informed he would never be asked back to judge OKC because he used a steer that was 501/2 inches tall that weighed 1190lbs.Although the steer was finished,it didn't go over to hot.The only other calf that I have heard of was about 5 or 6 years ago I was told the champion steer in Houston was 49 inches tall. I know that ordeal caused one hell of a stir amongst cattlemen in Texas and Oklahoma.Nowadays, steers in OKC are anywhere from 511/2 to 53 inches and weigh 1295 to 1350 with some of the heavier ones being drawn back some.Now all this being said,I tend to like steers around 52 inches that weigh 1300 to 1325. In fact none of our club calf cows weigh over 1400lbs.I think the whole idea of the lowline and purebred discussion should be to reach a happy medium.If it means the lowlines can be used consistantly to help downsize some of the larger framed cattle for "clubby" purposes then so be it. As long as I can breed "up" to have 1/4 blood lowlines it would work for me. After all, I have met the Bloomberg's and they do a fine job with their cattle. I have known Jerry Adamson for over 30 years,if it works for him,it just might work for us. He has been pretty successful with new trends over the years. I now live in Wisconsin and there are a few lowlines around at county shows.Most of the natives in this neck of the woods LOVE their big ole Simmy's which is ok by me also.Now one other point I would like to make is this: Although there have been drastic improvements made in Arkansas and some other southern state's when it comes to having exceptional "show" cattle,the competition there compared to many other states is still not near as strong to make comparabl;e judgements about how good a AOB heifer may or may not be. I say this as I used to judge many shows back in the 70's and 80's in that area,have attended shows even as recent as 2006.There are exceptions to every rule,however if the lowline folks ever win SUPREME Champion female at one of the so called MAJORS,or a prominent State Fair then it's Katy bar the door,the arguments would be over.

TMJ Show Cattle... very interesting post. 

RE 1/4 blood Lowlines... Yes, you can breed up to 1/4 bloods.  Jerry Adamson/George Jenkins have 1/2 & 1/4 blood Lowline cows... probably it would be better to ask them about those 1/4 bloods because I've never seen those 1/4 bloods & I rather speak only about things that I know about.  I've been told that the Lowline Registry has voted to register down to 1/4 blood, so I think that more people raising 1/4 blood Lowlines for the clubby market will become more common.  I know that George Jenkins had some 1,300 lb. 1/2 blood cows that Jerry had bred to Dr Who & Hotmail.  I think that 1/4 bloods would be a lot more accepted by most than 1/2 bloods for obvious reasons (a little bigger frame size).  Also, now instead of showing only 1/2 blood Lowline AOB's, we will be able to show 1/4 & 3/8 blood Lowline AOB's too.  We will not be showing 1/4's & 3/8 in our breed shows at the majors, but it will help the 4H, FFA & JR Exhibitors at county fairs, Beef Expos, Jackpot Shows, State Fairs, or JR Shows at the Majors, etc.  There is some type of DNA requirement on the percentage Lowline bulls now, but that can only be a good thing, IMHO!     

RE Highlands... You are right, IMHO.  Doc Holliday is every bit as big as any Highland bull that I have ever seen.  And while he wont sire quite as much hair as a Highland, he sires a considerable amount of hair & it will be manageable hair.  A Highland's hair might be manageable, but IDK... I've seen the fullblood Highlands & I question it.  Plus, Lowlines are polled & if you slick sheared a Highland & a Lowline, it wouldn't even be close, IMHO. 

RE hip height... I'm not saying 48-50 inch steers will win everywhere, but it's reportedly winning in this region (IL & OH).  Those are 2 extremely competitive states when it comes to steers.  Personally, Doc Holliday, Yes Yes Yes (distributed by George Jenkins) are probably the 2 best Lowline bulls that I've seen as far as siring frame.  Zeffirelli (again Jenkins is the distributor) is taller, but his calves certainly aren't.  I've got some & I've seen several.  I do like Zeff better than Yes though.  There are others, but I haven't seen them consistently sire bigger frame (within the breed).  If I was going to use a fullblood Lowline bull to make steers, I'd pick the bigger Lowline bulls & stay away from the Quartermasters & Caesars (both extremely good bulls, but little dinks).  A lot of good middle frame (for the breed) Lowline bulls, like Fitz, Bluey, Hank, Machine & Transam, but you will likely need a big framed female to make those work for a steer project as 1/2 bloods, IMHO. 

RE the Lowlines that you've seen at shows in Wisconsin... I know you didn't comment 1 way or the other on their frame size, but most Lowlines in the US are a little smaller than the more recently imported Australian genetics like I'm using & that Adamson/Jenkins & some others are using (see above).  I purposely selected for the bigger end on frame size, but I'm still sticking with the lower birth weights.  I bet most of the Lowlines that people on this board have seen are smaller than the ones that I've got & that some others have got, so I think that is why so many are against them.  Can't exactly blamed them... I laughed out loud when I first saw the Lowline display in Denver in 96 or 97.  ;-)

With all that said, the heifer that the Bloomberg's raised... was a Bluey out of a Heetseeker/Simmy female.  A Bluey X Red Hot sold for $4,500 in Kansas City.  Bluey's can be pretty good, but I think that most would want more frame than Bluey will give them, unless they have BIG cows.  Regardless, several people are using Bluey on clubbies with success.  So it all depends upon what size you want.  If you want bigger, I'd go with a taller Lowline bull.         

RE Arkansas... I'll be the first to admit that Arkansas probably isn't the stiffest competition.  KY is not too bad though... we are close enough to Ohio, Indiana, Illinois & Missouri that it rubs off on us a little bit.  But, winning your division (although not Grand or Res.), with an AOB Lowline heifer, at the World Beef Expo, isn't exactly "chopped liver".  That may not be the stoutest competition either, but I wouldn't think it's too bad.  The thing is, almost no Lowline breeders have even focused on the clubby market & many are breeding smaller on purpose.  So any calf that you would see win is a 1 out of every 10 animal, rather than a 1 out of every 500 animal for just about any other breed.   

I also agree that until a Lowline wins, it's all speculation.  But, that doesn't mean that it couldn't happen.  I think the 1/4 blood & 3/8 blood registrations will give us more markets, more exhibitors, & more animals to try to win those shows.  I see the potential, some may not & that is OK with me.  But, I totally agree that if a Lowline "anything" ever wins a major or bigger state fair, the argument will be over.  Unfortunately, it hasn't happened "yet".  That's why we have multi-page threads like these on SP. 

Again, interesting post.  (thumbsup)           

TMJ Show Cattle

It will happen,maybe sooner than later.Wonder if one wins,if they"ll admit it has Lowline blood? Like I've said many times before,what's all the fuss about? When Tim Ohlde got out of the "CLUBBIE" business and devoted his time to his Angus,then and now people raised hell that his cattle was too damn small.There would never be a continuous market for them,especially in Nebraska and the Dakota's.Then when Gardiner's completely fouled up the Angus breed with their no bone, no assed cattle,jacked up EPD's and all, ole OHLDE kept on truckin with Anchor and Emblazon ,laughing all the way to the bank.Let me tell ya, the progressive breeder trying to play this club calf deal has to try just about anything. Although he can be a grouchy old cuss,Greg Kroupa has used or tried with trial and error just about everything under the sun. He gets along pretty good. Most people have the old mindeset about this clubbie bussiness,but if you have alot of cows,you have to be progressive.Another FACT about Kroupa....ask him what the perfect "CLUB CALF" momma should look like. He likes them to be 50-51 inches 52 at the outset,Big volumed,big assed,with above average bone,that can cover some ground and withstand the tough South Dakota winters where the wind blows and there ain't no protection under many tree's. I have been there several times,in dead of January and February,colder than a well diggers a.....s and them ole cow's were out in the pasture with their babie's,roughing the hell out of it like an old line rider.Ask how the Duff cattle company in Hobart ,Oklahoma have made out since going with OHLDE bred Angus.

TJ

TMJ Show Cattle said:
It will happen,maybe sooner than later.Wonder if one wins,if they"ll admit it has Lowline blood? Like I've said many times before,what's all the fuss about? When Tim Ohlde got out of the "CLUBBIE" business and devoted his time to his Angus,then and now people raised hell that his cattle was too damn small.There would never be a continuous market for them,especially in Nebraska and the Dakota's.Then when Gardiner's completely fouled up the Angus breed with their no bone, no assed cattle,jacked up EPD's and all, ole OHLDE kept on truckin with Anchor and Emblazon ,laughing all the way to the bank.Let me tell ya, the progressive breeder trying to play this club calf deal has to try just about anything. Although he can be a grouchy old cuss,Greg Kroupa has used or tried with trial and error just about everything under the sun. He gets along pretty good. Most people have the old mindeset about this clubbie bussiness,but if you have alot of cows,you have to be progressive.Another FACT about Kroupa....ask him what the perfect "CLUB CALF" momma should look like. He likes them to be 50-51 inches 52 at the outset,Big volumed,big assed,with above average bone,that can cover some ground and withstand the tough South Dakota winters where the wind blows and there ain't no protection under many tree's. I have been there several times,in dead of January and February,colder than a well diggers a.....s and them ole cow's were out in the pasture with their babie's,roughing the hell out of it like an old line rider.Ask how the Duff cattle company in Hobart ,Oklahoma have made out since going with OHLDE bred Angus.

Sounds like Kroupa & I have pretty similar philosophies, although I might like them just a tad shorter... I'd love to have a whole herd of 48-51 inch, big volumed, wide butted, easy keeping cows that can tough it out if necessary.    I think that I can accomplish that with 3/8 & 1/2 Lowlines... I really do. 

RSC

TJ said:
TMJ Show Cattle said:

Sounds like Kroupa & I have pretty similar philosophies, although I might like them just a tad shorter... I'd love to have a whole herd of 48-51 inch, big volumed, wide butted, easy keeping cows that can tough it out if necessary.    I think that I can accomplish that with 3/8 & 1/2 Lowlines... I really do. 
LOL, Sorry TJ I have to chuckle over the statement of you and Kroupa having similar philosophies.  After reading his Sweetheart Catelog every year and reading your responses to the Biblical Timeline,  Similar is not what I was thinking.

Tony