Bulls To Use

Help Support Steer Planet:

jamesgang892

So I've seen a lot of topics about bulls on the board lately. So I thought I would see what bulls were on everyone's "curious to try" list.

In the take I have Eye Candy, and Salty Dog.
Oh, and I have a TH positive heifer that I would like suggestions on what to breed her too.

On my "to try" list I have:

Asset
Dr. Who
Felony
Hired Man
Indian Outlaw
Nutt N Butt Business
Texas Twister
Slightly Modified

My goal is to add a little color by tring for a smoke.

Attachments

• Vegas Internet.jpg
    Vegas Internet.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 196

tipmover

Texas Twister would be your choice for color or a smokey but personally i love Nuut and But, great bull, great heifers.

Bradenh

yellow jacket for a cream yellow or smoke but not on a heifer (same as tx twister id stay away on a heifer). also milkman could put a smoke on her. or captain morgan (we have an orange calf out of his first crop that is a beast. and captain morgan could do amazing things in the future) but yellowjacket is my all time favorite. . . mabey a few for people wanting char looks to add to their "curious list" captain morgan and yellow jacket (neither of which throw monsters. but be cautious to stay off of heifers)

Sparkle

I've used "Hired Man." Not too impressed. His calves are bold, straight, week backed and just not really sound. Our calves have been black and usually have chrome. Of course we have blk (MAxAngus) cows. We won't be using him again. On the good side the calves are thick made.

OH Breeder

Is the heifer in the picture you want to breed? Remember with a Shorty its going to throw some different colors in the mix especially with Charlois.

frostback

If you are talking about the heifer in the photo you will not get a true smoke with her. A smoke is a black colour diluted. You could get a orange or yellowish(red diluted) calf bred to a PB char. I think Felony would give you a red diluted but not sure he is safe for heifers. If you use a smoke you get a 50/50 chance of a black and a red diluted. Yellow Jacket is a red diluted calf so you would get a 50/50 chance of a red and a red diluted.

GoWyo

Felony will throw red diluted calves on red carriers.  I thought our calves came about 15 lbs. plus heavier than they did out of medium calving ease Angus bulls.  Would not use on heifers, but our mature cows seemed to do OK.

jamesgang892

I was trying for smokes out of my black cows. I was jus gonna see what people thought would work on the heifer pictured. The original purpose of this thread was to see what bulls others where excited about trying this coming breeding season.

frostback

jamesgang892 said:
So I've seen a lot of topics about bulls on the board lately. So I thought I would see what bulls were on everyone's "curious to try" list.

In the take I have Eye Candy, and Salty Dog.
Oh, and I have a TH positive heifer that I would like suggestions on what to breed her too.

On my "to try" list I have:

Asset
Dr. Who
Felony
Hired Man
Indian Outlaw
Nutt N Butt Business
Texas Twister
Slightly Modified

My goal is to add a little color by tring for a smoke.

If you are trying for a smoke colour on blacks then from your choices Felony would do it. Refresh my memory who Texas Twister is. Indian outlaw will throw half blues then the other half could be baldies with spots depending on the cow. Not sure who Slighly Modified is either.

Bradenh

frostback said:
Yellow Jacket is a red diluted calf so you would get a 50/50 chance of a red and a red diluted.
how is that? out of a black daddy (lifeline, who is out of a black bull, habenero) and a p.b charolais mama? my yellow jacket has yellow hair and silver (beautiful) skin out of a cold black god father daughter and yellow jacket

Freddy

North central -- Nebraska on highway 183 - 30 mi
Where she is a heifer one bull that would be clean, ok to use on heifers an could be very outstanding calf is the TROUBADOR BULL ...You don't have many bulls in that list that I would use on a heifer with much confidence...  Felony ---I was afraid to even use on cows cause of his Charolais background ....

frostback

Show stopper 95 said:
frostback said:
Yellow Jacket is a red diluted calf so you would get a 50/50 chance of a red and a red diluted.
how is that? out of a black daddy (lifeline, who is out of a black bull, habenero) and a p.b charolais mama? my yellow jacket has yellow hair and silver (beautiful) skin out of a cold black god father daughter and yellow jacket

Lifeline is a black bull BUT carriers the red gene. Therefor Yellow Jacket got a red from Dad and a red with diluter from mom. He himself does not carry a black gene.

Steer4Caddy

If anyone uses Texas Twister let me know how that works out.  Very powerful in Denver but since his dad killed a few of our cows, I was pretty confident that his son would.  Especially being Charolais influence and that powerful.  See Milkman...etc.

Bradenh

yeah i can see a disaster coming out of texas twister. .
Steer4Caddy said:
If anyone uses Texas Twister let me know how that works out.  Very powerful in Denver but since his dad killed a few of our cows, I was pretty confident that his son would.  Especially being Charolais influence and that powerful.  See Milkman...etc.

frostback said:
Show stopper 95 said:
frostback said:

Lifeline is a black bull BUT carriers the red gene. Therefor Yellow Jacket got a red from Dad and a red with diluter from mom. He himself does not carry a black gene.
so how does a calf get as silver as the steer of his that was res houston 08? with a no black gene to mix and make smoke? not being an ass here im just  young and still trying to figure all of this stuff out so be patient with me

frostback

Show stopper 95 said:
yeah i can see a disaster coming out of texas twister. .
Steer4Caddy said:

frostback said:
Show stopper 95 said:
frostback said:

so how does a calf get as silver as the steer of his that was res houston 08? with a no black gene to mix and make smoke? not being an ass here im just  young and still trying to figure all of this stuff out so be patient with me

So was Lifeline the sire or Yellow Jacket?

kswlaw

I would like to throw our bull Peer Pressure in to the mix for people to review.  Peer Pressure is now a Foundation Simmental sire along with being a Mainetainer and a Chi sire.  He has been tested and is free of all 5 genetic defects. 

frostback

CAB said:
Yellow Jacket is sired by Lifeline.
I know that but he asked about the Res. Houston 08 steer, but I dont know who his sire was. Also a photo of said steer would help.