c-section effect flushing?

Help Support Steer Planet:

aj

OK...I feel bad now. Had the hobbie cattle guy blast me. He's the one who does the cattle deal as a tax dodge. The media guy has worked me over.....I'm sure he's a real world guy. The other woman who messes with cattle but is not concerned about making money has voted agains't me. My beliefs are shook to the core. The people who do cattle as a hobbie have put me in my place. I stand corrected as usual.

aj

Chambero...I goggled three tree ranch and they are out of georgia? What % of their bulls offered were ET's? Where can I find a catalog? Of the big herds I know of and researched the 9 ranches offered 3% of the Bulls were actual ET'S guess I don't know about their private sales though. Not sure how to get to Gardiners last sale. Is it on the internet?

trevorgreycattleco

I love how everybody suddenly has a "donor cow" or 20 of them. I get the idea but personally I don't care about embryos out of a cow unless she is older and proven. Embryos are the slipperiest slope in the cattle biz IMO. Why flush a cow if she has a good "paper" but has not really earned her keep. I wonder how much money has been waisted on E.T. in the last 10 years? I think you can accomplish as much with A.I. and strict culling and using your best home raised son for clean up as you can with E.T. Just because it's a flush brother or sister doesn't mean it's going to breed the same. This has been proven time and time again.  <beer>

trevorgreycattleco

Gardiners does a ton of ET. Not sure the exact number but the ET calves greatly out number the non. Most big time angus deals including three trees do a lot of ET. Fink's,Three Trees, Express, Schaff's, Stevenson Basin, Conneally all use the crap out of it. They all have cows that have proven themselves one way or another. Call Dick Beck, he loves to talk angus with ya and will tell ya all ya need to know. Gardiner's has a pretty interesting web site, check it out.

chambero

Three Trees had a very large Texas operation in Clay County for a few years - they leased the Horton Angus land for a while till it sold about a year ago. They brought in an ET vet from back east who implanted a whole bunch of cows.  The cowboys who help us helped them out when they were implanting.  Solely for commercial purposes.

justintime

My main point was that I disagreed with the comment that ET was basically used by purebred breeders to produce show cattle. That is simply not the situation where I live. I would say that by far, most of the beef ET here is done by breeders who are trying to produce more bulls for their commercial bull sales and females from their best cows for replacements in their own herds. Maybe it is different where you live, but again, aj makes blanket statements that do not show the real situation in all areas of the industry.

I am not sure if I am supposed to be the hobby cattle guy or the media guy. Quite frankly, this has to be a really strange hobby if that is supposed to me aj was referring to. I started to do ET seriously in an attempt to generate enough money to make my payments and pay my bills, when BSE broke out here in Canada. It has become a major part of my income.... and it is also one of my major expenses. I am just saying that where I live, most of the people flushing cows are not just trying to produce some show cattle. It is simply a part of their business, and a tool they are using to shorten the long generation time the cattle industry works with.

Jill

aj said:
OK...I feel bad now. Had the hobbie cattle guy blast me. He's the one who does the cattle deal as a tax dodge. The media guy has worked me over.....I'm sure he's a real world guy. The other woman who messes with cattle but is not concerned about making money has voted agains't me. My beliefs are shook to the core. The people who do cattle as a hobbie have put me in my place. I stand corrected as usual.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't know anyone that isn't concerned about making money!

aj

Fink would be a great example of a ET program. I think they show just a little bit. Galen and Bolz were buddies for a time when Ron was in Manhattan. Anyway I guess I will have to restate my claim. I said ET was seldom used in purebred programs that were non showring. So using OH breeders figures of 8% in the Angus breed. Would 4% of the 8% be a fair guess of the Angus non show people who utilize ET? Dang I still don't know though. Is 4% seldom? Is 8 % seldom? Anyway ET use is a major tool for "seedstock producers"(non showring) in the world. The good seedstock producers use this tool in their herd. "The people who ET 80% of their cow herds and use no natural selection pressure are very important special people also". They are of the upper tier of special people". Getting back to Fink I know the feedlot north of town bought 4 full brothers to use in their 1,000 head cow herd in order to increase predictability. All these cattle ended up on the CAB grid. The Angus Charolais combination makes for one heck of a feedlot steer. I apologize for my unpopular inncorrect earlier statement.

trevorgreycattleco

When you look in general, most cows that are donors, more than likely should not be. The big operations I am talking about are trying to use ET to expidite their elite genetics for the commercial guy. Look at Wehrmann Angus in Virginia. They took GAR Precision 2536 and generated over 5 million dollars in revenue on her and NONE of the offspring were tearing up the tan bark. 2536 flat out produced cattle that grew and graded. She turned out to be a carrier and only a couple sons are still around. I can see why a commercial guy would want flush brothers for their herd. Makes the next breeding decisions easier when they need to be replaced. Still too many cows that don't qualify for donors sure are being put there.

Show Heifer

trevorgreycattleco said:
When you look in general, most cows that are donors, more than likely should not be. The big operations I am talking about are trying to use ET to expidite their elite genetics for the commercial guy. Look at Wehrmann Angus in Virginia. They took GAR Precision 2536 and generated over 5 million dollars in revenue on her and NONE of the offspring were tearing up the tan bark. 2536 flat out produced cattle that grew and graded. She turned out to be a carrier and only a couple sons are still around. I can see why a commercial guy would want flush brothers for their herd. Makes the next breeding decisions easier when they need to be replaced. Still too many cows that don't qualify for donors sure are being put there.

One of the truest statements ever made on SP.... WAY TOO MANY DONOR COWS!    Which follows the thinking of "why would ANYEONE flush a heifer?"  Not only a unproven female, but an unknown mating...

Again, I would not look at gardiners as a program to follow or copy.

trevorgreycattleco

Show Heifer you have indeed done your homework. I don't think Gardiners is a "model" operation. They are a profitable one for sure. I am just using them as examples. What I think about Gardiner's is a whole new thread lol. How about the SAF Royal Queen 5084 cow as another example for Sydenstricker's. Great cow and truly earned her job as a donor. Now the 598 defect is rumbling and she is out of him. She may have more sons in stud than any cow?? 3 alone in ABS. I think the angus breed is getting a swift kick in the rump from karma for not acting sooner on these issues. My best black angus cow is a 878 daughter. He has dodged all the defects to my knowledge till this one. 878's dam sired by 598. Shorthorn and Hereford are looking pretty good right now! Anyway my point is, even the biggest breeders still have trainwrecks with ET.  I think we should think long and hard about what makes a donor. I think the ET thing has it's place but for the cost and time and no gaurantees that come with it, you better know what your doing. We could start a whole new thread on cows that were sold as "donor" cows and have never been heard from again. How many ads do you see where someone has bought a heifer and it says in their ad "she will be our future donor and herd matron". Then a few years, there she is in some sale, A.I'd to the hottest bull of the month. Just sayin.

justintime

trevorgreycattleco said:

I would agree that, in my opinion, there are cows being flushed that I think should not have been. I have probably flushed a few myself that should not have been. I am always amazed how differently people see cattle, and what works for one person, may not work for another. The same thing goes when a person is selling bulls. On many different occasions, my pick of the entire bull pen is still standing there after several bulls have sold. I have never had a production sale when I wasn't totally surprised by how high a price some animals sold for, and how little some others sold for as well. That is why, I have not concerned myself with that too much, because the most important number at the end of the day was the amount of money generated from the sale. The same thing goes for producing embryos. I am oftentimes, amazed which genetic combinations people want to buy from my embryo inventory. And people from different parts of the world or different regions of Canada and the US, want different types of cattle. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this.

This is the stuff that makes this business so great. Each one of us do what we do to try to produce some better cattle. I don't know many people who do this simply for the enjoyment and aren't concerned( at some point in time) about losing money. Even the wealthiest people in the business seldom do this year after year and lose money. If they are losing money, there is an ulterior motive, such as doing this to rob the tax man. I do not see that as being a wrong motive, as they are truly stimulated the economy in the beef industry.... and when someone else has a great sale, or sells some cattle for excellent dollars, there is always a trickle down affect to the others in the beef industry. It is no different than a major business building a plant in your town and they hire many local people to work there. The entire town does better. So each and every one of us are in the beef industry for our own set of reasons. My reasons may be completely different than yours, but that does not make either of us wrong. If someone wants to buy a heifer for their kid to show for say $25,000, why is that wrong? If they went and bought the kid a new car or truck at much more than this, no one would think anything about this. It is their business... and in doing what they do, someone in the beef industry is benefiting from it. That is only good. You or I may never be able to do this, but we still benefit somewhere down the road. Success breeds success and failure breeds failure.

ET is just another tool we can use to promote and sell our product.In international sales of genetics, embryos and semen are almost exclusively the method of choice.  ET is not for everyone, and I have seen the use of ET get some people in serious financial trouble. It does not sound like it is going to cost much to flush a cow, but the bills can get pretty big fairly fast.Selling embryos is no different that selling live cattle. It is supply and demand and is also dependent on a person's marketing skills as well.  If ET is used by some to produce cattle for the show ring, what exactly is wrong with that? Whether we like shows or not, cattle shows are a major component of this business. They always have been and always will. If you are against showing cattle, you don't have to go near one. That said, if someone else gets enjoyment from showing, or if showing cattle promotes families working together, and families having fun together, what exactly is wrong with that? I would be the first to agree that some of the things that the show ring promotes has little to do with the rest of the beef industry, but I do not say that no animals that have had successful show careers have anything to offer for the real world cattlemen. Some do, and some don't... and that is the way it has been since the first cattle show was held.

I sometimes think that some of the debates we have on SP, are basically just debates about the differences in our own operations. There can be no winners as we all try to do what is best for our operations with the environments we have to deal with, the management we have available, the facilities we have and the money we have in our bank accounts. There is room in this business for absolutely everyone who wants to be in it and for whatever reason they want to be in it for. If someone thinks they can flush a cow in an attempt to produce some show cattle, more power to them. My original post was just to comment that, where I live, ET is seldomly used just to try to produce show cattle. Here, it is mostly cattlemen trying to propogate their best genetics to supply better bulls for their bull sales and females for their replacement pens, and I see nothing wrong with that either. We are all free to chose what we want to do, to improve our herds,and our livlihoods.

trevorgreycattleco

well said. I have no problem with a show cow being flushed. Just make sure she really has earned it. I have read on here many show steers grade better than many top end commercial feed lot cattle. If this is true why can't show people focus on those lines instead. We all are in the beef business and the end product is the protein we create and sell. Everything gets eatin. Why not all aspects focus on this while maintaining the phenotype they prefer. If we all try to create the best eating expierence we can with our end product it will create more money for all of us. Believe me, there is a heck of a market in my area for top end beef. This has been proven to me although I refused to see it for a long time.

Hilltop

[/quote]
If you are against showing cattle, you don't have to go near one. That said, if someone else gets enjoyment from showing, or if showing cattle promotes families working together, and families having fun together, what exactly is wrong with that?

[/quote]
EXACTLY!!! My daughter who is ten is already counting down to the fall and hoping she can spend the whole week with us at Agribition. Actually my wife is probably doing the countdown also. She is already planning on going to another major show with cattle, so I am guessing she loves doing it.....  Or just wants to ditch me for a week? :-\ :-\

And just to get back on topic, if the cow has proven herself and had a c-section due to no fault of her own, go for it!!

rtmcc

Just a couple of ideas on this:
-First, if your cow that had a c-section breeds back normal the first year and has truly proven herself as donor quality after a few natural calves, go for it.
-I sure would think that of the beef cows that are flushed, the % flushed for show cattle would sure be less than for those trying to produce superior beef breeding cattle.  It sure could be a regional thing.  An ET center in southern Iowa is likely to have a much different clientele than one in Montana.  Calling 2 ET centers does not constitute research.  Look thru the major AI stud catalogs, ABS, Genex, Accelerated, Select  ... Check out how many of those bulls deemed superior after many years and a lot of data are the result of ET.  A good share of them I would think.  There is a reason for this. 
On the comment that 94.2% of the cattle are the result of bull breeding, how many of those bulls or those bulls sires, that did the breeding are the result of AI or ET?  There are not enough corals and chutes in the country to AI the national cow herd.  That is why the cows that are found to be genetically superior are flushed so their sons and daughters can propagate their genetics on the commercial segment.
-Our mane income is not from raising cattle at home.  This part is a hobby.  I like show cattle and we as a family have a great time with it!  We have mainly stuck with the pure breeds.
But for a living I buy about 1000 head of fed cattle and market cows a week  for one of the  biggest packers in the US.  So I may be more connected to the commercial industry than many.  The last few weeks we have harvested over 670,000 head of beef cattle in the USA PER WEEK!  If you think the club calf business has any relevance on the beef business, guess again.  I would guess that 670,000 may encompass every club calf mating in the country for a year.  Its a sport!  Its a fun sport and we like it.  But to say it is relevant to the beef industry is like saying the sport of curling is what the winter Olympics is all about.  I do agree that todays show cattle are a lot closer to reality than they have been in the past.  Show cattle should be special.  They are for show.  NASCAR teams don't pick up their next Daytona car at the local dealer.  They work hard on it to make it the best they can.

I know I am dancing on both sides of the fence a little.  But ET is a good thing for the BEEF INDUSTRY if the cow is of true PROVEN DONOR STATUS and it is used to propagate superior genetics.  I agree there are many cows that are flushed that are not worthy.  There are also many backyard horses and Blue heelers bred that don't deserve to be but thats another topic.  Its your money, spend it how you wish.

Back to the original post, have your ET person palpate and ultrasound your donor.  They should have a pretty good idea of how much scar tissue she has and if she may flush or not.

AJ, you need to get a grip.  If you don't like the show cattle industry for what it is, stay away from it and don't associate with those who are involved in it and enjoy it. 

Ron
<cowboy> <beer>

trevorgreycattleco

rtmcc, like the commercial that screams wow! thats a low price! I must say wow!!!! Thats alot of cows! 670,000 is a big number. Of those cattle that you buy, do you prefer solid colored or any color. Do you see any difference because of hide color? Your opinion would be interesting on this subject. There has been a good discussion on here lately about roans or spotted vs solid color. Just curious on your thoughts.

aj

Ron....I think you better stick to being a cattle buyer, a cattle trader, and blue heeler breeder. Cattle buyers and club calf jocks are leaches. They don't don't produce they manipulate. I am not sur you have the fortitude or knowledge to last 3 years of breeding cattle let alone 10 years.

justintime

aj said:
Ron....I think you better stick to being a cattle buyer, a cattle trader, and blue heeler breeder. Cattle buyers and club calf jocks are leaches. They don't don't produce they manipulate. I am not sur you have the fortitude or knowledge to last 3 years of breeding cattle let alone 10 years.

aj.... this time you have gone way past being rude!  I wish you would remember that this is a site where there are many young cattle enthusiasts on here. Not only do you insult Ron, but you insult everyone who has ever tried to produce some club calves. I am sure there are some bad club calf jocks as there are some bad people in any profession, but you constantly throw everyone under the same bus, both the bad and the good. You constantly make comments that no good has ever come out of a show, and anyone who has ever taken cattle to a show, are all the same... basically a curse on the real cattle producers.  Comments like this are insulting and beyond rude. There are many wonderful people who enjoy raising some club calves and they help kids wherever they can. There are also the other kind, but they are definitely not all painted with the same brush. As for what you said to Ron, I think you owe this man an apology, as all he did was give his opinion... just like you did. Some times your comments really make me wonder why I like you so much!

jbw

AJ-  MY LORD!!  :mad: go chase parked cars!!!

aj

Steerjocks don't raise calves. They TRADE calves. The cattle winning today shows are genetic defect defect freakazoids. Period. There is a grand canyon between these cattle and the beef industry. You don't like to hear the truth. You and your country club buddies are going to have to gand up on me and get me banned. Only because you disagree with the truth. Thats OK. I sleep well at night. JIT...I have never heard a from the heart response from you. You are always merchandising,angling, precisely manipulating words and people to like you. I stated my belief's. Then someone took one sentence of mine out of context. Then all the country clubbers came after me on that one. Genetic defect cattle bother me. Some people have standards. Some people don't . Leave me alone and I won't have to respond to this goofy stuff.