Calving 101

Help Support Steer Planet:

TMJ Show Cattle

We use Bio Moss in our calving mineral.  What Bio Moss does is allows for the bugs like salmenalla, e coli, ect. to latch on to it .  They use it as a food source and can't let go, going out in the manure.  This allows for better absorption of your Chelated minerals and Selenium and vitamin E. The IgG's in the colsotrom is higher and after calving, they will breed back quicker.

Carrie

aj

It makes sense to me. I know of one guy with 300 cows who swears by it. Seems easy and affordable.

TMJ Show Cattle

It is definatly worth the extra cost.  We had a first calf heifer have a bull calf come backward last year.  She cleaned in 20 minutes after we got him out and kept on rockin', no metritis at all.  I won't be without it!

LUKE

walker p said:
I think alot of people on this forum have one of the main symptoms of Johne's disease diarrhea ( of the mouth ). They just want to point out everyone elses mistakes and rub it in their faces. There are more suttle ways of getting your point across people.   <beer>

(thumbsup)  It's different if you are actually trying to help.

CAB

I thought that you were trying to rile my wife up Aj. Bad move dude, seriously!!! LOL. Brent

knabe

zach said:
when I have a problem using it, I'll let all of you know so you can chant in unison "Told you so"

vets and brand inspectors in california wear disposable boot covers so when the leave a dairy to visit another one, they throw them away.  they do this even if they show up at a sale barn or other facility just for transfers.

aj

I became aware of today the local coop has some interesting policies. I bought a salt block and a bag of mineral and they are now required to write down lot numbers. I heard this was a homeland security deal. So the mill has the lot number of the salt block,mineral block and things like crystalyz tubs. I assume that if a anthrax case or hoof in mouth or who knows what shows up in a herd a quick check back to the plant could be made. Also a sample of each feed order is taken and stored to improve quality controll and also proof to I guess(if a high price horse or cow goes down) for a lawyer or what ever. This increases cost of doing business but the homeland security boys aren't messing around with a potential attack to the food chain. They said they are more worried about the economic terrorism than an actual human death or what not. I thought this is kinda interesting.