Calving Ease: Is it all "bull"?

Help Support Steer Planet:

aj

I like natural selection over the middle of the road. Breed the heifers....don't look at them till 50 days after calving starts. The matings that worked ,worked and the ones that didn't work killed the heifer. You don't have to pelvic measure or lose sleep that way. Let god sort em out. ;D

vc

I was wondering if a Calving ease bulls numbers would not get skewed if these bulls were used on cows with high birth weight to beggin with.
For example lets say someone used calving ease bull X who's birthweights averages 75 pounds on all their Heatwave cows, and calves average 90 pounds, and with out the calving ease bull the cows calves could have averaged 110. The calving ease bull did his job based off what the calves could have weighed and what the calves actually weighed.
I could see where a calving ease bull could have good numbers, work well on high birthweight cows and have his numbers start rising just because he works on a certain bloodline. If the bull was used allot in Canada his numbers could go up also.

I hope this makes since to someone.

chambero

aj said:
I like natural selection over the middle of the road. Breed the heifers....don't look at them till 50 days after calving starts. The matings that worked ,worked and the ones that didn't work killed the heifer. You don't have to pelvic measure or lose sleep that way. Let god sort em out. ;D

Cows yes.  Heifers no.

SEA

I do not understand why, whenever the topic of caving ease comes up (and after reading some of these posts and skipping some, purposely).

No one ever says..."The size of the calf has a huge correlation to the amount and size of the hiefers carbuncles (sp)".

TJ

aj said:

I check mine at least once, but often twice per day, if they are calving.  Otherwise, that is exactly the way I manage heifers.