careful pricing your low end show steers

Help Support Steer Planet:

angus88

[What you said, agrees with me 100%.  I'd take 20,000 trucks, $1000 farm ground, $2. corn, $1.90 fuel- and .70 cattle... any day of the week over what we have currently.

I'm not saying we're getting over paid-- I'm saying we're getting under paid in relation to the cost of inputs as compared to what they were worth- say even 5 years ago.]---well put :)

This whole market makes me nervous, Yes getting more for cattle is nice, but the cost of hauling and feeding just has gone up way too much for me.  It seems we take the good with the bad, I am worried about the future of the market, because I fear corn will keep rising.  I  have learned these days to take it one day at a time.  Not to mention, is it going to be possible for our next generations to continue farming and raising cattle?

kfacres

angus88 said:
[What you said, agrees with me 100%.  I'd take 20,000 trucks, $1000 farm ground, $2. corn, $1.90 fuel- and .70 cattle... any day of the week over what we have currently.

I'm not saying we're getting over paid-- I'm saying we're getting under paid in relation to the cost of inputs as compared to what they were worth- say even 5 years ago.]---well put :)

This whole market makes me nervous, Yes getting more for cattle is nice, but the cost of hauling and feeding just has gone up way too much for me.  It seems we take the good with the bad, I am worried about the future of the market, because I fear corn will keep rising.  I  have learned these days to take it one day at a time.  Not to mention, is it going to be possible for our next generations to continue farming and raising cattle?

boat I'm in right now: unless they inherit everything-- they can't do it.. I'd get my inheritance.. but my career has taken me 250 miles away-- where I have to start from scratch... not working so well...  Can't find pasture- can't make enough to buy cattle- can't take out too many loans.

angus88

boat I'm in right now: unless they inherit everything-- they can't do it.. I'd get my inheritance.. but my career has taken me 250 miles away-- where I have to start from scratch... not working so well...  Can't find pasture- can't make enough to buy cattle- can't take out too many loans.
I completely understand your situation, I stayed around home, but I am still finding it hard to find pastures, hay ground, buying more cattle...etc, with the cost of everything the way it is, though I can sell a few hd to pay a feed bill here and there.  In turns, how do I buy more cattle and keep a herd going on the price of feed.  But I have fear that if I have no choice but to pass everything down to my kids, otherwise there isn't a chance for them to continue on.

Mueller Show Cattle

boat I'm in right now: unless they inherit everything-- they can't do it.. I'd get my inheritance.. but my career has taken me 250 miles away-- where I have to start from scratch... not working so well...  Can't find pasture- can't make enough to buy cattle- can't take out too many loans.
[/quote]
I totally agree and agree with Jody's comment early in this post, I too don't like the way cattle prices are going. Yes the money is nice from the cattle but we are paying more for the corn and feed plus the fuel and land prices are outrageous. I was hoping to one day buy more land, but I don't see that happening with the cost of land, as I save more money over time the land keeps going up, so I'm not gaining any ground (no pun intended). The poor farmers or people wanting to become farmers and ranchers, good luck because your not going to make it unless you inherited the land and possibly more. The ranches around me are owned by alot of large companies such as drilling rig companies where the ranch is just a tax rite off for their big business, as properties around them go up for sale, they buy that land up also. It is becoming a monopoly around me, looks like we will just have to be happy with what we have.

I would think it is safe to say, the richer get richer and the poorer stay poorer. Ya, if you have alot of land and produce your own grain and corn and have a large number of cows, things are great because you are making out like a bandit, no worries. The they take all that extra money from higher cattle and corns prices and buy more land just like the companies around me buying ranches, is a monopoly. If your the little man, it is hard to make it.

TMBCATTLE

Just remember this clubby bred cattle will not sell for top $ at the sale barn. At least in western il they simply wont grade and yeild as well as commercial cattle. i always take a big hit at the barn. this year it was about $.40. less per pound. that sucks

Gargan

TMBCATTLE said:
Just remember this clubby bred cattle will not sell for top $ at the sale barn. At least in western il they simply wont grade and yeild as well as commercial cattle. i always take a big hit at the barn. this year it was about $.40. less per pound. that sucks

did u have a lot of crazy colors and color patterns?

GoWyo

Have to feed out your clubby rejects yourself.  If you lose money on them, then it is easy to see why they take a hit at the sale barn.  If they are good cattle, they will still feed fine and you will be ahead of taking the discount at the sale barn.  Sell your mistakes by the pound directly to the consumer.

TMBCATTLE

No they were strait black heifersjust hairy no differenc than the other cattle selling except they were muscled up clubby looking . im not the only one who this has happened to . i know of one guy whos steer brought a penny not per pound just a penny because he was clubby and a little sick looking accordding to what tcey printed on his sale recipt.

kfacres

TMBCATTLE said:
No they were strait black heifersjust hairy no differenc than the other cattle selling except they were muscled up clubby looking . im not the only one who this has happened to . i know of one guy whos steer brought a penny not per pound just a penny because he was clubby and a little sick looking accordding to what tcey printed on his sale recipt.

were they clipped?  I've been sitting watching before- and something all clipped up came through and they all started laughing.

chambero

TMBCATTLE said:

Maybe I just don't understand things up north, but if you are getting discounted that badly you are doing something wrong.  Don't send them through freshly clipped for one thing (no idea if you are or not).

A couple of years ago I've sold obvious spastic paresis calvesfor $300 a piece. 

And don't sell sick calves.  Nobody is going to pay for one that looks like its on death's doorstep.

I still have never seen data that proves they don't grade/yield as well as anything else.  Just got my own kill data back, AGAIN, the feedlot with our cattle pushed them hard to go CAB and 80.70 percent graded choicewith 5.2% YG1, 46.56% YG2, and 42.57% YG3.  Most of those calve were Maie or Simi crosses (Meyer blood) and plenty were HW grandsons.

kfacres

chambero said:
TMBCATTLE said:
Maybe I just don't understand things up north, but if you are getting discounted that badly you are doing something wrong. 

Same reason the Roans get knocked, and other off colored cattle.  Is raising roans= wrong?  It's not typical for an awesome roan to bring .25-.35 less than a black steer calf that's just average and at the same weight-- even though the black is a frame 10 and the roan is a frame 6.

It's called United Reducers for a reason. 

OH Breeder

GoWyo said:
Have to feed out your clubby rejects yourself.  If you lose money on them, then it is easy to see why they take a hit at the sale barn.  If they are good cattle, they will still feed fine and you will be ahead of taking the discount at the sale barn.  Sell your mistakes by the pound directly to the consumer.

AMEN! United REDUCERS as BS calls them and I whole heartily agree, I can guarantee discount on any colored calves I take. Yet, my customers do not ask what color the hide is on their freezer beef except for one person that buys from me. she won't eat black hided animals. go figure.

justintime

I have to wonder if the US will ever see the change in the color discrimination that is happening here in Canada. I should also say that this trend is happening in some areas more than others, and there are still areas where non black cattle are still discounted but I don't think it is as much as it used to be. It wasn't many years ago, that I never thought I would see this change, but it is one truly one of my dreams coming true. The few calves I sold last fall, consisted on both roans and black calves, and I think I would say that there was no real difference in quality between the colors. The roans averaged 6 cents a lb more than the blacks and they were very close to being the same weights.

What gets me, is a large order buyer tells me that he buys lots of Canadian cattle for US feedlots and they are not discounting on color when they buy here. So why does this happen? It makes little sense!

kfacres

justintime said:
I have to wonder if the US will ever see the change in the color discrimination that is happening here in Canada. I should also say that this trend is happening in some areas more than others, and there are still areas where non black cattle are still discounted but I don't think it is as much as it used to be. It wasn't many years ago, that I never thought I would see this change, but it is one truly one of my dreams coming true. The few calves I sold last fall, consisted on both roans and black calves, and I think I would say that there was no real difference in quality between the colors. The roans averaged 6 cents a lb more than the blacks and they were very close to being the same weights.

What gets me, is a large order buyer tells me that he buys lots of Canadian cattle for US feedlots and they are not discounting on color when they buy here. So why does this happen? It makes little sense!

B/c they can!

JIT- might I ask why your shorthorns are producing black calves?  I thought you  had sold off the commercial cows- with the exception of using them as recips?

hamburgman

JIT I would gather the reason order buyers buy canadian shorthorns vs US shorthorns deals with the high percentage of clubby influence and show ring appeal that is found in the shorthorn herd.  I personally don't know a single herd that has shorthorns in it around me that doesn't try to sell club calves.  Feeders don't want those calves because they don't grow.  Now in Canada is the shorthorn herd that heavily influenced by the showring? Also remember all the bitching some people do towards you about having big framed cattle.  Like you say those things grow and perform very well, so I would bet that is a factor also.

TMBCATTLE

WELL JUST SO EVERYONE IS CLEAR THESE HEIFERS WERE  NOT CLIPPED THEY WERE EVEN SHRUNK OUT JUST LIKE THE SALE BARN WANTS THEM.  THIS IS THE ONLY PLACE WE HAVE TO MARKET THEM HERE WITHOUT DRIVING OVER 100 MILES. AND THIS IS A DIRECT QUOTE OF THE OWNER " CLUBBY BRED CATTLE WILL NOT GROW, GRADE AND YIELD WITH THE GOOD COMMERCIAL CATTLE THE ORDER BUYERS BUYING FOR THE BIG YARDS WILL NOT PAY WHAT THEY SHOULD" THAT BEING SAID I KNOW THIS IS ONLY THE CASE ON A FEW OF THE CLUBBY DINKS. AND I DO KNOW THAT THEY GROW AND GRADE JUST AS GOOD AS THE REST THIS IS JUST A REASON FOR THE BUYERS TO GET AN ANIMAL AT A DISCOUNT. SO THEY CAN LOWER THERE AVERAGE. THIS IS THE SAME REASON THAT A BUDDY OF MINE  WHO BACKROUNDS THOUSANDS OF CALVES A YEAR WILL NOT BUY CALVES FROM SOME OF THE BIGGER  CLUB CALF BREEDERS AROUND ME .  HE HAS BOUGHT THEM IN THE PAST AND THEY DID GREAT, HOWEVER WHEN THE FEEDLOT BUYERS SHOWED UP THEY DISCOUNTED THE CLUBBY PEN CONSIDERABLY. EVEN THOUGH THEY HAD PERFORMED JUST AS WELL AS THE REST. FINALLY I WAS SITTING THERE AT THE BARN THAT DAY AND BOUGHT MY TWO HIEFERS BACK I WASNT GOING TO LET THEM BE STOLEN AND THEY ARE GOING INTO THE FREEZER

kfacres

TMBCATTLE said:
WELL JUST SO EVERYONE IS CLEAR THESE HEIFERS WERE  NOT CLIPPED THEY WERE EVEN SHRUNK OUT JUST LIKE THE SALE BARN WANTS THEM.   THIS IS THE ONLY PLACE WE HAVE TO MARKET THEM HERE WITHOUT DRIVING OVER 100 MILES. AND THIS IS A DIRECT QUOTE OF THE OWNER " CLUBBY BRED CATTLE WILL NOT GROW, GRADE AND YIELD WITH THE GOOD COMMERCIAL CATTLE THE ORDER BUYERS BUYING FOR THE BIG YARDS WILL NOT PAY WHAT THEY SHOULD" THAT BEING SAID I KNOW THIS IS ONLY THE CASE ON A FEW OF THE CLUBBY DINKS. AND I DO KNOW THAT THEY GROW AND GRADE JUST AS GOOD AS THE REST THIS IS JUST A REASON FOR THE BUYERS TO GET AN ANIMAL AT A DISCOUNT. SO THEY CAN LOWER THERE AVERAGE. THIS IS THE SAME REASON THAT A BUDDY OF MINE  WHO BACKROUNDS THOUSANDS OF CALVES A YEAR WILL NOT BUY CALVES FROM SOME OF THE BIGGER  CLUB CALF BREEDERS AROUND ME .  HE HAS BOUGHT THEM IN THE PAST AND THEY DID GREAT, HOWEVER WHEN THE FEEDLOT BUYERS SHOWED UP THEY DISCOUNTED THE CLUBBY PEN CONSIDERABLY. EVEN THOUGH THEY HAD PERFORMED JUST AS WELL AS THE REST. FINALLY I WAS SITTING THERE AT THE BARN THAT DAY AND BOUGHT MY TWO HIEFERS BACK I WASNT GOING TO LET THEM BE STOLEN AND THEY ARE GOING INTO THE FREEZER

You mention Western IL- In most people's opinion= true western IL is made up of about 7-10 counties.  Adams, Brown, Pike, Hancock, Schulyer, MacDounough, and a few more north of there- but west of the IL River.  I live in one of these- and work in another.  I know of three different places to market within 100 miles of both where I live and work, and i'm sure there is a couple more that I don't know about- being I have not been in this area very long.

however, I do agree with you- in terms of the excuses and reasoning behind discounting roan, clubby, or clipped up cattle. 

justintime

Jody, I did sell my commercial black cows but I still have a group of Angus and black Simmi cows that are used as recips. They are implanted with embryos only once each year. Those that do not hold an embryo have Shorthorn X calves. That is where my black calves come from. While we are talking about color, can you explain the color of the calf in this picture. The dam is the black cow pictured and she is a halfblood Shorthorn sired by Wolf Willow Major Leroy 1M. Her dam is a PB Angus cow. The breeder of th PB Angus cow sold her because she has some white  on her udder. Her Leroy daughter is solid black with a little white on her underline, just behind her front legs. The white calf is her natural calf sired by a medium roan Saskvalley Pioneer 126P son. I was using this cow as a recip, but was pretty certain she had not held the embryo pregnancy as I had seen her get bred by the clean up bull. When this calf arrived, I wasn't sure so I had it parentage tested by DNA. It proved it was the cows natural calf by the clean up bull. The calf was solid white with no black pigmentation at all. It could  pass as a PB Shorthorn and it is 2 generations from a PB Angus cow.

On the topic of oddities, we had our bulls clipped a couple weeks ago by a neighbour who has clipped close to 3000 bulls across Western Canada since last fall. He mentioned that he has never seen as many PB Angus bulls with scurs as he has seen this winter. Now what is with that? I can understand one or two, or a few even, but he said he saw several while clipping.

Attachments

• Black Leroy daughter 2009.jpg
    Black Leroy daughter 2009.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 168

kfacres

justintime said:
Jody, I did sell my commercial black cows but I still have a group of Angus and black Simmi cows that are used as recips. They are implanted with embryos only once each year. Those that do not hold an embryo have Shorthorn X calves. That is where my black calves come from. While we are talking about color, can you explain the color of the calf in this picture. The dam is the black cow pictured and she is a halfblood Shorthorn sired by Wolf Willow Major Leroy 1M. Her dam is a PB Angus cow. The breeder of th PB Angus cow sold her because she has some white  on her udder. Her Leroy daughter is solid black with a little white on her underline, just behind her front legs. The white calf is her natural calf sired by a medium roan Saskvalley Pioneer 126P son. I was using this cow as a recip, but was pretty certain she had not held the embryo pregnancy as I had seen her get bred by the clean up bull. When this calf arrived, I wasn't sure so I had it parentage tested by DNA. It proved it was the cows natural calf by the clean up bull. The calf was solid white with no black pigmentation at all. It could  pass as a PB Shorthorn and it is 2 generations from a PB Angus cow.

On the topic of oddities, we had our bulls clipped a couple weeks ago by a neighbour who has clipped close to 3000 bulls across Western Canada since last fall. He mentioned that he has never seen as many PB Angus bulls with scurs as he has seen this winter. Now what is with that? I can understand one or two, or a few even, but he said he saw several while clipping.

JIT- if the dam of that calf- is half shorthorn-- then she is hetero for black- and carries the white gene hidden- although you would expect her to carry the red gene since Major Leroy was not a roan bull.  Which theoretically should make her a blue roan-- but as we all know- a roan may only be one hair showing that white.  My guess is that her offspring lucked into having a copy of white from both parents- and thus resulted in that solid white calf- so I’m not suprised.  Basic punned squares would be:

Bw (dam) x Rw (sire) should yield 25% of the following calves: red roan (Rw), black roan (Bw), black (BR), and white (ww)...

The black calves you speak of getting- make sense to me.  I figured so that they would be from the recips cows who didn't stick... 

I know of one really bizarre case of color involving shorthorn cattle as well. 
Original cow- was half Shorthorn half angus—and a blue roan.
Her first year, she was mated to a black purebred Maine bull- and the calf resulting was a red roan.
The second year, she was mated to a black purebred Sim bull- and again, the resulting calf was a red roan.
I think the 3rd year they finally mated her to a shorthorn bull, but I don’t know this for certain- but I DO know that she again had a red roan calf. 
All three red roan calves- were heifers- and each nearly identical in phenotype and coloration. 
The best I can come up with was both the Maine and the Sim bull that she was mated to during year one and year two- were hetero for black- and during both times- they injected the red gene into this calf- the cow being (Bw)- injected the white gene into her calf—and out came a red roan- all three times.  The odds of this- would basically be 25% chance of the following: Homo black calf, Black Roan calf, Hetero Black/ Red calf, and of course a red roan.  She beat the odds none the less. 

When we were traveling with the judging team- scurs and odd white spots would show up quite commonly in the Angus breeder's pens.  I have that feeling that before we know it- so will TH.  Although, I remember reading on a post on here: that the scurred gene is linked with the polled gene- and not the horned gene-- so in all reality Angus can be scurred.  Now, we most of the time know this is not the case-- but I'm betting that it could be- esecially if genetically those animals all had a similar ancestor- and were not outsourced and improved.

Going back above- I bring up a point I have always wondered concerning the Red and White holstein patterened shorthorns-- are they really genetically roans, or are the reds with the spotting pattern?  Or both? 

justintime

I agree with your explaination Jody, and I have had a couple other white calves from black dams, but  have always been able to find a few white hairs in these cows hair coats. I have never found any white hair in the cow pictured except for the white spot on her underline, but obviously she carries the white gene in her genetic make-up. I have seen a few other strange color issues over the years. One I have found interesting was with our Irish import IDS Duke of Dublin. Duke basically a red bull with one white mark on his heart girth and another small white spot in his flank.When we displayed Duke in Denver the first time, Dick Prentice from Arrowhead Farms in Indiana picked up Duke's tail and examined the back side of his tail. Duke had a white spot about the size of a quarter on the back side of his tail. Dick told me that we would get some white calves from him. At this point in time, we were just  few week from getting the first set of Duke calves, and I wasn't sure if I believed his theory, but a few weeks later the third Duke calf born was solid white. We had 3 white calves from him over the years we used him, and I often wished I had taken the time to find out more about his reasoning for his prediction.