careful pricing your low end show steers

Help Support Steer Planet:

kfacres

justintime said:
I agree with your explaination Jody, and I have had a couple other white calves from black dams, but  have always been able to find a few white hairs in these cows hair coats. I have never found any white hair in the cow pictured except for the white spot on her underline, but obviously she carries the white gene in her genetic make-up. I have seen a few other strange color issues over the years. One I have found interesting was with our Irish import IDS Duke of Dublin. Duke basically a red bull with one white mark on his heart girth and another small white spot in his flank.When we displayed Duke in Denver the first time, Dick Prentice from Arrowhead Farms in Indiana picked up Duke's tail and examined the back side of his tail. Duke had a white spot about the size of a quarter on the back side of his tail. Dick told me that we would get some white calves from him. At this point in time, we were just  few week from getting the first set of Duke calves, and I wasn't sure if I believed his theory, but a few weeks later the third Duke calf born was solid white. We had 3 white calves from him over the years we used him, and I often wished I had taken the time to find out more about his reasoning for his prediction.

old guys either always know the damndest things... or are sure are great at guessing and making us think they know the damndest things....  (clapping)