Carpe Diem Is dead

Help Support Steer Planet:

vc

Shep, I will only say this once, I think you are intelligent and know what your goals are, the problem is you let your youth and ego get in the way.
You have your goals and objectives, just because others have different goals does not make them wrong and you right or visa verse.
here is some advice
#1 this is a show cattle web page if you do not like the show cattle industry try Cattle today.com
(I will warn you there are some real characters there)
#2 Try being direct and non-punishing, you will get your point across much easier ( I spent  20 years in the corporate world, once I learned how to be non punishing it helped get my point across, I never had a problem with the direct part either)
#3 Heat Wave has produced some great steers and bulls, give him his due, is he the end all bull? no, but he has left his mark there is no denying that. (I only have a couple cows and will not go that rout either, but my boys did well showing his offspring)
Last but not least, I like you, just wish you would approach things differnt, for your sake, you have have good ideas.

kfacres

vc said:
Shep, I will only say this once, I think you are intelligent and know what your goals are, the problem is you let your youth and ego get in the way.
You have your goals and objectives, just because others have different goals does not make them wrong and you right or visa verse.
here is some advice
#1 this is a show cattle web page if you do not like the show cattle industry try Cattle today.com
(I will warn you there are some real characters there)
#2 Try being direct and non-punishing, you will get your point across much easier ( I spent  20 years in the corporate world, once I learned how to be non punishing it helped get my point across, I never had a problem with the direct part either)
#3 Heat Wave has produced some great steers and bulls, give him his due, is he the end all bull? no, but he has left his mark there is no denying that. (I only have a couple cows and will not go that rout either, but my boys did well showing his offspring)
Last but not least, I like you, just wish you would approach things differnt, for your sake, you have have good ideas.

:)

I will not argue that HW has been one of the shearly most influenctial bulls of recent years, maybe decades...  But through it all, I still feel he was overrated, and plenty of times his calves- really weren't "his' calves. 

Maybe it's the operations I toured when in college judging, which I'm positive was a small portion in the grand scheme of things- but I'd guess that at almost every single one of them, I heard the quote-- "if he was a HW", or "that one will sell as a HW".  Call it stupid luck, but I'm sure that happend more times than not...  Yes, without a doubt in my mind, HW made many great ones-- and from that I can say that promotion and pedigree are very powerful tools when it comes to making a dollar...

Disagree if you want-

I've been to cattle today...and thought it was dead most of the time.. heck at this point, I'm not sure if I remember my username or password. 

anyways, i wouldn't classify this site as show cattle either- mostly.

twistedhshowstock

Question...if you wouldnt classify this site as show cattle then what exactly would you call it? 90% plus of the posts are related to show cattle I would say, yeah you get the occasional purebred posts that isnt purely show cattle related, but all in all it ends up back at show cattle.  I agree I think you are intelligent and have some decent ideas.  The problem is you seem to have the attitude that you are the absolute correct answer in all situations.  You seem to refuse to see any side of the story but yours, and seem to think you know better than anyone else.  Like was said before you just need to watch how and when you say things, because the abraisive attitude has dampered the careers of many intelligent individuals.
And I also understand that there have been many calves pushed off as HWs or Monopolies or whatever the big bull of the age was, but give it this due, if those bulls had not produced some impressive cattle, then people would not have been trying to push their calves off as their progeny.  I can agree some, when HW was first promoted and even when Monopoly was first promoted I was not very impressed and didnt get most of the hype, phenotypically I think they both have holes in them, but cant argue with the facts, they have both done their job as sires.

GONEWEST

I don't think many people realize just how much wear and tear is on a bull that is 6.5 years old and has been used heavily in SD. It's like dog years.

chambero

The average life of a commercial bull used in a large operation is shockingly low (typically a purebred Angus aimed a commercial market).  I've read several articles over the years that suggests it ranges anywhere from 3-6 years.

kfacres

chambero said:
The average life of a commercial bull used in a large operation is shockingly low (typically a purebred Angus aimed a commercial market).  I've read several articles over the years that suggests it ranges anywhere from 3-6 years.

I agree, and honestly, most of the 'great' ones-- don't live past 3... stupid luck most of the time.

vet tech

I think his replacement sells in this years Cream of the Crop sale. A son, hes a Carpe Diem x Tiger. The first Herf marked bull in the catalog. Just a freak!

wyatt

im planning on using semen on him, as i like him and im very pleased with my carpe diem calf! also thinkin about useing trauschs new bull blueprint!  <rock>

so this is to whoever buys him..... GET HIM COLLECTED... and ship me a few straws haha

OH Breeder