Charolais heifer- is she worth hauling around?

Help Support Steer Planet:

Bradenh

Thanks guys for the comments- if anyone has had any experiences with believe in me on Charolais cows please share he really actually does get my attention a lot after what you have all said

Thank you guys for these responses really- there is a lot stated that many prospective breeders can learn from, including myself

Telos- she's turned out with no feed these last 45 days leading up to calling, pretty strict diet she is a newly retired show female

Mark H- looking on thomas bull sale page I see that lot all those wrangler bulls go back to either firewater or gridmaker cows. Which really excited me because this female is a firewater back to a gridmaker- so I guess it looks like it's worked for others!

I like that exotic Charolais breeding as well, if I could find out if diablo would change a front end I would be on him in a heart beat!

RyanChandler

If I were in the Charolais breed, Id be trying to replicate the 0641 cow.  Not because I think she's the best or that she's raised 5 of the last 8 National Champion bulls and females, but because her Firewater daughter, "Sophie" is as good as it gets, IMO. 

Bradenh

You know what...,, I think you may be on to something there mr. Chandler, I have a cow from m6 that (honestly) is light years better than the heifer pictured, she goes back to the Mamie  cow family and is out of 3 trees wind 0383- and I think you've just enlightened me on an idea to flush that cow to impressive and shoot for some females that we can breed firewater down the road

Has anyone dealt with these calves in the modern world (direct progeny showing), I know the second generation is potient breeding back to firewater but was wondering about the direct daughters having any sort of future in the ring?

May go ahead and try him on both actually down the road long term as we go looking to expand a female base

Tallcool1

No experience with him.

For fun, I text a few friends some pictures of her.  I asked what they would flush her to if she belonged to them.

There was some concern with shoulder if you went BIM (not because of the heifer, but the bull).  The most common response I got was Monopoly.  I know that isn't what you are going to do, and I understand why.  I commented that you were in Texas and they would need to sheer.  One friend said "If that cow won't put some muscle on a Monopoly then it isn't possible!"  The other thing that I thought was good is when he pointed out that there would be a strong market for the Monopoly females! 

Another one I got was Creature, which I had not thought of but after I looked at him again, it kind of made sense.

For what its worth...

Bradenh

That's very ironic because I have 10 straws of the creature and it was decided that if we went anything but heatwave it would be the creature due to the fact of his cow family and he posesses the freak factor that she needs! That's really ironic considering how little he's promoted down here and how few calves there are. I love the looks of him!

I appreciate you looking out and sending them! Feel free all you want to do so

crystalcreek

Did you see my post about Full Throttle in the other thread asking about maternal charolais bulls?

Also, a little research assignment here....  Go find out the pedigree of OBG Nancy that stormed the Charolais purebred rings all last year, both here and in Canada.  She's a Firewater, but look at the bottom side.

I doubt you will find the good picture of Stan's sire, but you might.  I will post it later after you find it out.  Here's the bad picture.

Attachments

• 764.jpg
    764.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 171

crystalcreek

Some things also to think about ....

Something you may or may not want to consider in the Maine breed.....you start flushing you are going to get females (you always get what you DON'T want, after all).  You cross any Maine with your char, you automatically have a paper-able percentage female in the AICA, but you aren't going to get a registered Mainetainer using a Maine that is 25%.  Justin Sullivan's IMA LADIES MAN bull is intriguing in that respect.

Going back to your HW vs. Monopoly argument-
You might have more folks interested in Monopoly sired females over Heatwave sired females because of the angus component and their ability to be momma cows.  And Heatwave is currently $260/unit or higher (if you can find it), unless of course you intend to use a clone.  Use three of those for a flush and get 4-5 eggs (or worse) and you are going to be one unhappy camper.

Charguy

Nice heifer ShowStopper. Here is an option you might want to mull over. This is a slicked off photo. Bull has lots of hair. I have calves on ground. I know a few club calf guys tried him last year. Born easy and stout as hell. Don't think Sanchez or Diablo will work on your heifer. 

Attachments

• fired_up_lg.jpg
    fired_up_lg.jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 198
  • fired_up_lg.jpg
    fired_up_lg.jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 228

Tallcool1

Show stopper 95 said:
That's very ironic because I have 10 straws of the creature and it was decided that if we went anything but heatwave it would be the creature due to the fact of his cow family and he posesses the freak factor that she needs! That's really ironic considering how little he's promoted down here and how few calves there are. I love the looks of him!

I appreciate you looking out and sending them! Feel free all you want to do so

Donor purebred Charolais (Hoo Doo)

Creature steer profile...look how good he is on the ground!

Same steer from behind

Maybe so!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 270
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 263
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    738.3 KB · Views: 265

Mark H

Char_Guy,

I think that Fired up and a few other red factor bulls would work in more ways than one.  Fired up likely has better performance than any bull mentione barring the M6 bulls brought up.  The problem with picking bulls here is that we don't know much about this heifer.  We should wait until the calf hits the ground to see where they need to take her.
The big question I have for you is how are the WC Benelli calves?  He looks good.  How did he calve for you?  As the calves mature it would benice to get some progress reports.
Here is a website for Mcleod Livestock: http://www.mcleodlivestock.com/index.html  This guy is a bucher as well as a breeder.  he has some good advice on handling 4H calves before slaughter to gut down on dark cutting.  Also look at the females that they hae raised from one 4H heifer project. 

Charguy

TC1- is this Hoodoo cow yours? If you wouldn't mind, please put her registration number. I'm from Canada and my partner and I are always looking for an outcross pedigree. She looks polled and she is the right kind. Too much of the same pedigree everywhere (Wind, FW, Cigar)

Don't know much about club calves but the steer you pictured is a hell of a calf. If this Creature bull throws calves like that consistently you are on to something special.

Charguy

Hi Mark. Long time no chat. We didn't get Benelli semen up here until July so there won't be any calves here until next year. Steve has some embryos ready for me to implant in a month. Wright told him the Benelli calves were really good. He said he could calve heifers. Lots of top. We will see - should cross well with the performance cows up here.

The Fired Up calves are impressive so far. Still small but growing fast.

I know McLeod's. He had a hell of a sale this spring. Bulls were well fed but looked good. Silver Spur from the US bought his best calf. Don't think he was as good as Encore or Diablo though

Mark H

Char_Guy,

What do you know about theWhietcap Plus 179Y bull that  Pamlers own?  From what i have seen he may be a good outcross calving ease bull.

Charguy

Mark

I have never seen the bull so I wouldn't be the guy to ask. Sure does have a nice EPD spread. Low bw and still has some performance

Bradenh

Couple years later here is the first clubby calf out of ms supreme 45 days old

Heifer out of the creature

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    359.5 KB · Views: 182

Bradenh

I have a 3 trees wind 0383 embryo coming this spring, also have another yellow creature heifer just not a good picture she's damn good too

Last week I aspirated her back creature at 100 days bred and she gave 32 oocytes so will put those in again this fall I am really happy with the creature

Purebred will be more 0383 as well as hoo made hoo (most impressive purebred bull I've ever seen in person) and a hoodoo bull of Kent Stewart's called 2x116

She's made the clubby ideas easy, I don't see a good reason to go any other way for the time being

Gargan

That hfr is a dandy, wow. Can't wait to see what she looks like this spring all clipped out! Keep us updated!