Cloned Show Steers

Help Support Steer Planet:

iowabeef

I agree....don't believe that cloned steers should be shown.  Was the Faber steer an actual clone?  I heard yes and no in the barn.....not sure who to believe...

Oats

Lautner's blog is saying that jorgensen had the grand champion nonclone steer is that implying that the faber calf is a clone? I personally don't care for the whole clone thing it just doesn't seem right to me.

ploughshare

Considering the cost of cloning, there are not many who would have the means to create a clone as a market animal.  I, as-well-as everyone else reading this can probably only name a few.  I certainly hope that no clones were shown in the 4-H show. I, too, wonder if this the next level??  Maybe cloning a steer for a bull.  I personally won't use cloned bulls.

OLD WORLD SHORTIE

what does it cost to clone one, 10k to 15k sounds like a good price for a proven good one. Remember it still takes work to make the calf a champion.

ploughshare

Aussie said:
Glenstory said:
Maybe cloning the steer for a bull. 
From what I had read I though that was happening from from of the National Champs intersted to know.

Yes it is. Should it be allowed to clone a steer for a bull or a bull for a steer, I am not ready to say, but I am leaning towards yes.  However, I would hate to see a single calf win the same show 15 years straight because of cloning.

ROMAX

If they keep cloning HEATWAVE,why don't they just cut the nuts out of the calves and sell em as steers,LAUTNER has got to be able to get some kind of deal or frequent flyer miles?

Aussie

Just how wide spread is the whole cloning thing.You can have cloned animals here just can not eat them(not heard of any) As far as I am concerned there is more merit in cloning good females

SHAGGY

Cloned animals are safe for consumption here according to the FDA, yes they are approved. The cloning heatwave and taking the nuts out, why would he sell one for a steer lets say he gets 20 grand for one. At 25 a pop for semen he has already made more on 1000 straws, i bet that many gets used in just my county alone.

OH Breeder

To me in just my humble opinion-
It is no different than buying a $50k show steer. or at least in advertisement purposes. If you truly are spending $50K on a calf why not clone one that has already done some winning. It doesn't matter you still have to provide the same level of care and feeding. As demonstrated by Heat Wave clones, there is no guarantee you are going to get the EXACT same copy of the market animal. Seems like a heck of gamble. You see all these ads in Show Circuit- high sellers for $30K and up.
:-\
Clone meat and milk were both cleared a year or two ago by FDA as safe for consumption.

mooch

Aussie said:
Just how wide spread is the whole cloning thing.You can have cloned animals here just can not eat them(not heard of any) As far as I am concerned there is more merit in cloning good females
Now don't go clouding up the whole thing with logic. ;) 

OLD WORLD SHORTIE

i can just imagine people buying ear punches on good cattle at sales. Or going to trim shoots getting the hair of a breed champion.

kp1625

I hope its not the future!!  I don't agree with it.  It takes a bit of the challenge out of it.  Thats just me though.

farmin female

I suppose if people had a lot of money to blow they might try cloning a market steer.  But anyone who has any discussions regarding cloning knows that you do not end up with an identical animal.  Genetically yes, but (as the Heatwave clones have shown) in other areas, no.  Look at the pics of the Heatwave bulls and note the physical differences. 

Doesn't anyone watch those really bad horror movies out there regarding the little cloned evil children.......

Showman101

Fabers 2 show steers are clones. They just won the Ia State Fair again (clone to the '08 IA state fair steer champ) and there other clone steer they "say" there savin for Denver. They also "say" they cloned that steer 18 times and only 8 turned out to be alive. Some are bulls along with other steers. Fabers own BOVANCE which is a cloning so cloning is gonna be pretty much a free ticket for them. I think its fine to clone a bull into another bull or clone a steer into a bull. I dont know about cloning a steer into another champion steer? I dont think thats quite right in my book. How are other 4h/ffa/ect. showman supposed to compete with that? I myself would clone a really good steer into another steer just for experience to see what he would turn out to look like and show it too but I do agree also that I hope this isnt gonna be the future. It wouldnt be any fun havin the same steer win the same shows after 10+ years. So i rather not see this become the new trend of show calves even though i said i would try it once but thats it. I think its better to do it the old fashion way and go out and look at everybodys calves that arent clones and try to pick your next champion! its always intresting to see what your calf turns out to be! Sometimes the cloning doesnt always go right either. Look at all the heatwaves. they sure dont look like each other. some of them do and some dont. I do think its very intresting though the science of cloning. I sure hope other animals like sheep, hogs, horses ect. dont get into the cloning though.

Okotoks

Showman101 said:
Look at all the heatwaves. they sure dont look like each other
Isn't Heatwave a TH carrier? If so all his clones have one thing in common -they are all carriers of a lethal recessive gene. Now I can see using carriers if your goal is to get animals that are free of the lethal recessive gene with some of the good attributes but are we not endangering a lot of peoples livleyhoods down the road if all those heifers that were supposed to be show steer champions end up in commercial cow herds. As livestock breeders it amazes me what has become most important. I guess in agriculture today you have to follow the money as there is so little profit.

Show Heifer

From what I understand, it is possible to remove the carrier gene and replace it (gene slicing) but greatly reduces the risk of survivability.
I have often wandered, if you own the animal, do you legally own the DNA? What keeps someone from gathering dna in the tie outs at 3 am?