Cloned Show Steers

Help Support Steer Planet:

farmin female

knabe said:
STEER_1981 said:
Finally, in 20 years, let's assume that it costs just $1k to clone a steer.  At this price, we could all show cloned steers.  I think that the playing field in the show steer game could be leveled.  The winners in this illustration won't necessarily be the ones with the most money, but the ones with the most knowledge and elbow grease.

What do you all think? 

capitalism.  probably will never work.  it's been tried before.

perhaps the better option is unlevel playing field, level outcome no matter the cost.  it will probably work, it's never worked before, we just need to do it better.

incentive is evil and leads to jealousy.

OK, we get to where we are all showing cloned steers, we have one last big show and turn out the lights after the grand is crowned.  Because at that point, we will all be showing the same calf  (the best one gets cloned!).  So unless new genetic material is added to the pool, we have one showcalf and thats that.  The unlevel playing field is the best because that's what creates the competition.  And, every gene pool needs a little chlorine now and then - just head down to your local walmart and you'll see the proof. 

I don't know that I agree incentive is evil, it can also lead to hard work and creativity. 

knabe

farmin female said:
I don't know that I agree incentive is evil, it can also lead to hard work and creativity.   

my comment about incentive being evil was tongue in cheek.

Bawndoh

knabe said:
i've never really understood what better cattle really look like

i haven't really seen an improvement in cattle in 40 years.

the ratio of good cattle to bad cattle doesn't seem to have changed.

if anything, there are more bad cattle showing up in the showring than ever before.

nothing creates more fear in some than competition.
Even though I have only been around for half of those 40 years, I totally agree. 
The best thing that could ever happen to this industry is a LOT of culling.  People need to learn that trying to make gold out of $hit doesn't work!!
It is simply unbelievable when I see some questions that people ask on this board. 
"Hey, my heifer has been AI'ed 3 times, and out with the bull for 5 months and stll isn't bred.  What should I do, and how can I get her bred?"
WHAT!!!  Why would somebody even try to make that work?  It is cattle like that who are left alive by exception every day beause theyre pretty, and people want to make it work...but they simply should just send them on thier way!
Wouldnt that be Gods way of saying "She was not meant to be a brood cow?"

ZNT

It took some thinking about this topic to really decide what I thought about cloning steers to produce steers. At first I was opposed to the whole concept, but after really thinking about impact, I really don't care if it is done. By cloning a champion steer, all that is saying is that you think that calf is perfect, and that no improvements can be made. Personally, that is "living in the past" as far as I am concerned. It also assumes that all, or most judges also think, or think 2 years from now that this is the best calf. Personally, I do not feel the show steer industry is producing a practical, idea product for the future of the beef industy, therefore, if these people think this is the perfect animal in the future, let them. I can guarentee the steers I showed 20 years ago would not stand a chance in the showring today, but who is to say they were not better for the industry as a whole.

Everyone needs to remember that a Champion is just one man's opinion on one day. And that is not even including the politics that took place before the show even started.

simtal

ZNT said:
Personally, I do not feel the show steer industry is producing a practical, idea product for the future of the beef industy, therefore, if these people think this is the perfect animal in the future, let them. I can guarentee the steers I showed 20 years ago would not stand a chance in the showring today, but who is to say they were not better for the industry as a whole. 

+1

Okotoks

ZNT said:
It took some thinking about this topic to really decide what I thought about cloning steers to produce steers. At first I was opposed to the whole concept, but after really thinking about impact, I really don't care if it is done. By cloning a champion steer, all that is saying is that you think that calf is perfect, and that no improvements can be made. Personally, that is "living in the past" as far as I am concerned. It also assumes that all, or most judges also think, or think 2 years from now that this is the best calf. Personally, I do not feel the show steer industry is producing a practical, idea product for the future of the beef industy, therefore, if these people think this is the perfect animal in the future, let them. I can guarentee the steers I showed 20 years ago would not stand a chance in the showring today, but who is to say they were not better for the industry as a whole.

Everyone needs to remember that a Champion is just one man's opinion on one day. And that is not even including the politics that took place before the show even started.

Just think what would happen if a whole bunch of money was spent on cloned steers and the show ring industry actually got in sync with market steer industry!!