Cunia 602 = not a cunia, papers pulled

Help Support Steer Planet:

Telos

P-F,  Cold Front fits the time line better for possibly siring Cunia 602. Kroupa probably knows and I'll try giving him call. Cold Front may be a  bull that was questionable with his DNA. I do know Platinum was bull a lot of those guys liked to use in that era.

Show Heifer

I am a skeptic.  I do not know any of the people involved, but, I find it odd that the bull will not type to ANYTHING. I am just a lowly breeder but I keep records from way back and can tell you what sires I had when. I can also tell you what cows they bred.
Someone else mentioned that koupa was banned from the maine assoc...... for what?  And why should anyone trust him now?

I hope they find the mystry sire. Maybe they need to make a contest....instead of "Where's Waldo" it could be "Find my daddy!"

GoWyo

Let's just rename Cunia 602 to "Whomuhdaddy"  I have a few of those kind of calves now.

RSC

Not a good deal, if dishonest! But if your cattle are good ones and he's s proven maternal star and you don't need papers, who cares?

P-F

The heifers haven't been a real problem b/c I like them and they are awesome females

But we have sold registered bulls out of him and now that is causing a major problem.

As I said I could care less if this was an accident or purposeful, I am just peeved at the AMAA b/c a bull must be DNA or Blood typed before progeny can be registered.

Since they allowed me to register my AI calves I assumed that he had been DNA or blood typed. 

now I have customers upset, a bunch unknown semen and embryos in the tank,

All of this would have been avoided if the AMAA had followed their own rules further reason we are no longer raising Maines.

SEA

Telos said:
P-F,  Cold Front fits the time line better for possibly siring Cunia 602. Kroupa probably knows and I'll try giving him call. Cold Front may be a  bull that was questionable with his DNA. I do know Platinum was bull a lot of those guys liked to use in that era.
Hey Telos:

Do you really know Greg Kroupa well enough to call him and discuss this Cunia 602 issue?

If so, please make the call and give us the details.

Telos

This is what I got...Cunia 602 did not match to the Cunia DNA which is on file at UC Davis. I feel there should be an investigation to see if other Cunia sons test negetive or positive to  the DNA that is in their file. Such sons as Cold Front, Chill Factor, Heart Beat etc.. should match to what is in their files. If they don't, then possibly UC Davis may not have the real Cunia DNA or those bulls are out of something else other then Cunia. I would not discount that semen yet. Not until there is some kind of investigation or explanation.

How many breeders DNA varified their Cunia offspring? I'm sure there must have been someone since he was so popular. I'm personally interested in Cold Front.

knabe

cunia has blood and dna on file at the CMAA and AMAA.

are they the same?

this should be an easy phone call.

Telos

That's a great idea Knabe.

Kroupa said the ampule he used had Cunia on it and the 602 cow calved two days after due date. And no it was not Cunic. Greg said he would also like to know what the hell he's out of, if not Cunia. There is also two embryo calves that did not verified to Cunia which supposedly were from Cunia ampules.

yuppiecowboy

I'm telling ya, Kroupa wouldnt do something that dumb. That would be like Pablo Escobar going down for a parking ticket.

knabe

Telos said:
That's a great idea Knabe.

Kroupa said the ampule he used had Cunia on it and the 602 cow calved two days after due date. And no it was not Cunic. Greg said he would also like to know what the hell he's out of, if not Cunia. There is also two embryo calves that did not verified to Cunia which supposedly were from Cunia ampules.

perhaps cunia was an early name change on amps similar to what goes on today with heat wave, legacy plus, etc.

RSC

yuppiecowboy said:
I'm telling ya, Kroupa wouldnt do something that dumb. That would be like Pablo Escobar going down for a parking ticket.
Thank God nobody on the SP through him under the Bus   before all the facts were gathered!   <party>

Tony

yuppiecowboy

I know a guy who ordered semen direct from the owner, used it, got a call from the owner saying he screwed up and that instead of BULL, he sent him son of BULL, that was labeled BULL 123. Bull 123 will never have the problem of mistaken identity. His calves suck.  Prominent bull promoter from western Iowa (not named lautner) with a "magical" bull was nice enough to admit the mistake, but not nice enough to do anything about it. I have semen on a bull in my tank that has 4 different names  depending on what rack you pull up.

Jill

Bulls:  All bulls that have been collected for marketing OR for home use are also to be DNA typed and TH/PHA tested and on file in our office.  Registrations out of AI sires that have not been typed will be held.

According to the policy stated here I would assume that Chill Factor, Cold Front and any other Cunia bull have been DNA verified.  If the AMAA doesn't have this information on file, they have opened themselves up to a huge lawsuit because according to the stated policy you can't get papers on a calf without verification being done.