Denver 13 bulls

Help Support Steer Planet:

CAB

connealycattle said:
The best bull I saw was Open Range

Any links to this bull or any good PB bulls that were out there?
  Any thoughts about the Angus bull Tour Of Duty?

twistedhshowstock

I wasnt there, but just from pictures Sugar Rush is the one that I keep going back to.  I will agree with some former posts as well. 1) I agree that overall this was the most complete set top to bottom that has been there in a few years, but I also dont think there were any real standout bulls this year.  There were some good ones from the pics but nothing that just made you go wow.  2) There is no genetic diversity.  All the bulls I have seen pics of are the same genetics that we have seen over and over again.  Maybe mixed up a little differently than we have seen in the big promo bulls before, but nevertheless they are mixes and combinations that are prevelent in pastures all across the country.  Its hard to call one a game changer when they are bred just like and look really similar to what is already running around out there.  As someone said earlier when you continue to breed cattle with a certain genetic make up and look, to cattle with same genetic make up and look you continue to get cattle that look the same.  No changing of the game there.  Yes continuing to line breed like this can increase the likelihood of getting that calf you want, but it also increases the likelie hood for the problems you didnt want to pass on to pass on as well.  Nothing against what was there, but I dont think there will be a real game changer until someone brings something that offers at least a little something different genetically.  Like I said nothing against these bulls, there are some good ones and I will most likely use some of them at some point. But nothing this year that I am rushing to get inline for.

misty

I just got back from Denver saw the bulls and have to say that ready 2 rumble was a standout in the club type bulls I also really liked chain reaction have
wanted to breed to eye candy but with semen so high he might be an alternative. Some others were sugar rush, springstein, fu man chu, fever pitch, stick stay.
on the more maternal maine side I really liked summit he looks way better in person than in his picture also sky fall and liquid courage altho he is phac
so don't know if I'd use him. also liked maternally yours

Cattle Cards

twistedhshowstock said:
I wasnt there, but just from pictures Sugar Rush is the one that I keep going back to.  I will agree with some former posts as well. 1) I agree that overall this was the most complete set top to bottom that has been there in a few years, but I also dont think there were any real standout bulls this year.  There were some good ones from the pics but nothing that just made you go wow.  2) There is no genetic diversity.  All the bulls I have seen pics of are the same genetics that we have seen over and over again.  Maybe mixed up a little differently than we have seen in the big promo bulls before, but nevertheless they are mixes and combinations that are prevelent in pastures all across the country.  Its hard to call one a game changer when they are bred just like and look really similar to what is already running around out there.  As someone said earlier when you continue to breed cattle with a certain genetic make up and look, to cattle with same genetic make up and look you continue to get cattle that look the same.  No changing of the game there.  Yes continuing to line breed like this can increase the likelihood of getting that calf you want, but it also increases the likelie hood for the problems you didnt want to pass on to pass on as well.  Nothing against what was there, but I dont think there will be a real game changer until someone brings something that offers at least a little something different genetically.  Like I said nothing against these bulls, there are some good ones and I will most likely use some of them at some point. But nothing this year that I am rushing to get inline for.

Well put.  (clapping)

mainecattlemother

Just got back from Denver and wondering if anyone checked out Iroq.  He was an I80 son.  Not my favorite but I would imagine he would give a lot of calving ease for heifers.  What is everyones thought on him.

cowman 52

Guys, I don't get a chance to go look at bulls in Denver, some one has to tend to the home place.
  I don't care 2 flips about the crossbred bull of the minute entrants,  most of our operations can't afford bulls that work on maybe 5 percent of the herd. I appreciate your enthusiasm over good cattle, but you need to be our eyes and ears to the rest of the bulls that I'm certain were there.
I sure every one of you walked past a pureblood bull that would work in most of our operations, and I'm betting you took notice. Pass that information along if you please.

Boat

I loved Texas tornado, Johnny Football, and General Lee. And a lot of people loved Johnny Football that someone even stole his banner LOL!!

shoboy

FAVORITE BULL/ CLUBBY BULL..."Ready To Rumble" This bull is sired by Unstoppable who was one of my favorite bulls on display in Denver last year.  He has so much depth of body and rib shape and appears to be the type to sire the easy feeding big bodied cattle that are popular today.  He is also big footed and super sound

BEST MATERNAL BULL....."Liquid Courage" This bull couldn't have a better pedigree to be a maternal sire, Irish Whiskey X Dr Who. Couldn't get any better than that and he his big bodied and soft made.

BEST CALVING EASE BULL......."SkyFall"  This bull should work great on first calf heifers.  He was born unassisted to a first calf heifer with a small birth weight and still has that big time look.

Just my thoughts and reasons why I'm thinking that way.  Don't get me wrong, there were other bulls there that will sire a lot of champions in their time and that we will use, but these were my favorites in these 3 catagories.

Quick fire

Texas tornado and general lee pics show all four feet toeing out, I'm sorry but I don't see how people can over look that.

grandchamp58

i was wondering too about maternal perfection. i havent heard one word about him! Was he even there?

Ohio1

grandchamp58 said:
i was wondering too about maternal perfection. i havent heard one word about him! Was he even there?
He was not on display.

I really like kadabra heats video except he is THC and PHAC

connealycattle

cowman 52 said:
Guys, I don't get a chance to go look at bulls in Denver, some one has to tend to the home place.
  I don't care 2 flips about the crossbred bull of the minute entrants,  most of our operations can't afford bulls that work on maybe 5 percent of the herd. I appreciate your enthusiasm over good cattle, but you need to be our eyes and ears to the rest of the bulls that I'm certain were there.
I sure every one of you walked past a pureblood bull that would work in most of our operations, and I'm betting you took notice. Pass that information along if you please.

Here are some bulls I loved that are purebred or close to it.

AAA Odyssey
AAA Thriller
AR Barn Dance
Simmi UpRoar
3/4 Maine Summit

steerjockey

Quick fire said:
Texas tornado and general lee pics show all four feet toeing out, I'm sorry but I don't see how people can over look that.

AGREED!! Not bashing bulls but if Im a producer analyzing structural soundness to breed to my cows those 2 are not on my list to use...they do offer some other traits like hair or muscle

Quick fire

steerjockey said:
Quick fire said:

AGREED!! Not bashing bulls but if Im a producer analyzing structural soundness to breed to my cows those 2 are not on my list to use...they do offer some other traits like hair or muscle
If those feet don't go forward I cross him off my "list to try".

Boat

As long as they can walk I could care less if they are toed out. They are so nice that it doesn't bother me.

CAB

connealycattle said:
cowman 52 said:

Here are some bulls I loved that are purebred or close to it.

AAA Odyssey
AAA Thriller
AR Barn Dance
Simmi UpRoar
3/4 Maine Summit
Thanks Connealycattle. I was beginning to think that there were no PB bulls in Denver this year. I have had a couple of PPL PM me about Summit & have been wondering what PPL's thoughts are on the Uproar bull. I have been told that he was a very good & complete bull. The Odyssey bull intrigues me also. Thanks again.

Quick fire

Boat said:
As long as they can walk I could care less if they are toed out. They are so nice that it doesn't bother me.
[/quote

Genetics eventually reveal themselves and catch up... Sound or not there's judges that would slam a calf that toes out, especially in the back feet. The front feet a tad more acceptable.