dethroning the king

Help Support Steer Planet:

knabe

anyone seen the bull on the cow side for monopoly?  seems like an outcross to me for what heatwave is even with HW being monopoly's sire.

seems like a rotational cross to me, ie maintaining or capturing heterosis.

Jill

If you look back the trends seem to change every 15 years or so, we have been in the "type" we are in for the past 15 years and that seems to be pushing the window of when things start to change, right now things are on the fairly small side, lets just hope they don't trend back to the taller framy ones.

OLD WORLD SHORTIE

I cant say who it will be, but it know what it wont be. A Hereford, Charolais, or Shorthorn. Im kind of 50/50 on a shorthorn doing it but people who raise clubby cattle want black cattle.

Telos

Well, I think the trend for the ideal type showring steer will be fairly close to what it is now. It's all about pushing the envelope. Muscle, sound structure, just an overall quality ( smooth jointed; refined up through the front end; deep made; easy fleshing), and pretty. Yep, those steers need to be really, really, really pretty.

I think the King will be dethroned by one of his sons. He has probably been born already. And, of coarse, Lautner will own him.

bjs

knabe said:
anyone seen the bull on the cow side for monopoly?  seems like an outcross to me for what heatwave is even with HW being monopoly's sire.

seems like a rotational cross to me, ie maintaining or capturing heterosis.

century touchstone angus is the dam side of monopoly

GONEWEST

SD is right about the numbers thing on Heatwave. But there are two amendments to that, one on each "side" The reason HW is used so much is because of what he can and has produced. If any other bull you can name had produced like HW, it would have been them and not HW who was used so much. The other side to that is that because of his success everyone wants a HW calf. If a jock has a good calf, it's going to be a HW no matter what the real sire is so you will never actually know what the sire is.

But IMHO, Monopoly can't ever replace Heat Wave because he is half Angus and can't consistently sire the bone and muscle required. That's not to say he isn't a good or een great bull. Just too much Angus.

Dusty

GONEWEST said:
But IMHO, Monopoly can't ever replace Heat Wave because he is half Angus and can't consistently sire the bone and muscle required. That's not to say he isn't a good or een great bull. Just too much Angus.

I think that Monopoly has the potential to be great, but time will tell.  His first calf crop is just getting to the fat stage now so we'll know more after the state fairs and the midwest majors how he's gonna end up. 

I'm not worried about him being half angus.  I've seen a lot of nice steers out of angus cows.  I think they aren't starting to get away from picking the thickest steer that can walk to win the show...

Monopoly throws some traits that I think are definetly a pretty much a must have right now.  Softness, soundness, and hair.

aj

Could we get to a point where the Federal government would ban the use of defective cattle(punishable by prison)? A weird scenario but the only one I see making a difference. Or is there to be another defect that will come along and produce a desirable freak look to it? Maybe will run for president of the USA campaigning od "Lets stop the defect th"! Jerry Jeff Walker would be my Chief of staff. ;D

DLD

I think Monopoly's a great bull, too.  But like Gonewest, I don't think he has the ability to power up todays most sought after cows (734's, Whiskey's, etc...).  Without that, he won't make it to "king" status, unless we see a big change in type away from the kind of mass and bone and look that the steer showring has beem demanding.

We're already seeing type change away from the earlier maturing, super soft made, 50" market steer.  The ones that are winning are getting a little taller and a little cleaner middled.  Not too many years ago, we saw steers winning shows that bucked on their knees and/or had little or no flex on their back legs. Today being just a little tighter moving and shorter strided can knock one out of the running.

Lot's of the old timers say we'll follow the trends of the show pigs, just several years behind.  Looks to me like there's some truth in that.

SWMO

I agree with Olsun.  The soundness issue is going to have to come into play.  I watched the Regional Steer show at OEF last weekend and the first four classes were FULL of structural wrecks.  There is only two sound steers in four classes.  When you got into the heavier weight classes the number of sound cattle increased.  My belief is after watching these cattle for a couple of years is that some of these steers are so unsound that they will not perform  IE gain weight.  I believe that they hurt so bad that they just don't feel like standing and eating.

Jeril Buck judge this show and he was VERY HARD on unsoundness in the steers.  They placed at the bottom of their classes based on just how bad their feet and legs were.  And that is how in  my opinion it needs to be.  Sound, finished, functional  and then pretty.

knabe

<hero> <hero>
ROMAX said:
beefy08 said:
Take old world, European Maine-Anjou, Shorthorn, and Chi genetics. There is your new outcross bull!
1980's here we come!!!

wrong.  people will avoid the framey types. old world doesn't mean the winners in the middle 70's that were frame score 10, tube gutted to the extreme. to me at least, it means the one's that were selected against.

TMJ Show Cattle

Ain't it kinda funny when shorties get mentioned as not being the "one" that could be the next great "one"? It won't be a purebred for sure,we know that. But some of you fine people must fail to realize that HS and HW came from the Double Stuff line on the cow side. Alot of great cattle that Dean Kephart has bred over the years had Double Vision blood running through their veins.Yes, some of his great producing black cows.Alot of you youngsters don't know this probably,if you cross Double Vision on some purebred Angus cow's the calves will match or beat alot of the HW's.There are a tremendous amout of calves that sell every year that are not as advertised. That has been going on for years also.It dosen't happen as much as it used to because of DNA,but it still is practiced.You can't be naive in this bussiness. Monopoly has a chance to unthrone his father,even though he's half Angus,simply because folks will breed him to powerful cows that have little or no Angus blood in them ie; Simmy/ Maines or Shorthorns or Shortie/ Maines.Something NEEDS to replace HW and soon for obvious reasons.Somewhere down the road whatever it is that replaces him and some others I hope it has Charolais blood other than Alias running in his veins.

bjs

TMJ Show Cattle said:
Ain't it kinda funny when shorties get mentioned as not being the "one" that could be the next great "one"? It won't be a purebred for sure,we know that. But some of you fine people must fail to realize that HS and HW came from the Double Stuff line on the cow side. Alot of great cattle that Dean Kephart has bred over the years had Double Vision blood running through their veins.Yes, some of his great producing black cows.Alot of you youngsters don't know this probably,if you cross Double Vision on some purebred Angus cow's the calves will match or beat alot of the HW's.There are a tremendous amout of calves that sell every year that are not as advertised. That has been going on for years also.It dosen't happen as much as it used to because of DNA,but it still is practiced.You can't be naive in this bussiness. Monopoly has a chance to unthrone his father,even though he's half Angus,simply because folks will breed him to powerful cows that have little or no Angus blood in them ie; Simmy/ Maines or Shorthorns or Shortie/ Maines.Something NEEDS to replace HW and soon for obvious reasons.Somewhere down the road whatever it is that replaces him and some others I hope it has Charolais blood other than Alias running in his veins.

I agree with the Double Vision statement....I've never seen a bad calf out of him

shortyjock89

Double Vision = the King of clubby Shorthorns, plain and simple. We've had a lot of winners (heifers and steers alike) out of him, and his sons.  They even have been making good cows for us.  You just gotta make sure the cow is soft in all her joints and is good on all four corners and DV can do most of the rest!

lowann

Matt lautner was here Monday evening looking at our Monopoly steers again. I think this thought is crossing his mind as well.
I told him we are hooked on Monopoly. His calves are MUCH more consistant than Heatwave. When we did use Heatwave, we pretty much said a prayer. When they were good, they were darn good. When they weren't, they were terrible, or cripples.
Our Monopoly calves are pretty impressive, sound, thick, pretty darn good dispositions too.
We are getting 10 more units of Monopoly from him this Sunday.