dethroning the king

Help Support Steer Planet:

brandisshortys

Olson Family Shorthorns said:
Double Vision = the King of clubby Shorthorns, plain and simple. We've had a lot of winners (heifers and steers alike) out of him, and his sons.  They even have been making good cows for us.  You just gotta make sure the cow is soft in all her joints and is good on all four corners and DV can do most of the rest!

I gotta agree with you on this one!  I will say, our Double Vision daughters have made great cows!

Ric

lowann said:
Matt lautner was here Monday evening looking at our Monopoly steers again. I think this thought is crossing his mind as well.
I told him we are hooked on Monopoly. His calves are MUCH more consistant than Heatwave. When we did use Heatwave, we pretty much said a prayer. When they were good, they were darn good. When they weren't, they were terrible, or cripples.
Our Monopoly calves are pretty impressive, sound, thick, pretty darn good dispositions too.
We are getting 10 more units of Monopoly from him this Sunday.

I agree with you 100%  Ann!!!!

FutureBreeder2013

Ric said:
lowann said:
Matt lautner was here Monday evening looking at our Monopoly steers again. I think this thought is crossing his mind as well.
I told him we are hooked on Monopoly. His calves are MUCH more consistant than Heatwave. When we did use Heatwave, we pretty much said a prayer. When they were good, they were darn good. When they weren't, they were terrible, or cripples.
Our Monopoly calves are pretty impressive, sound, thick, pretty darn good dispositions too.

I agree with you 100%  Ann!!!!

the only reason i disagree with this is because Monopoly is sired by heatwave.

knabe

FutureBreeder2013 said:

doesn't make sense.  if the above were true, no offspring could outdo his sire.

lowann

knabe said:
FutureBreeder2013 said:

Depends on how long Monopoly lives. Phil Lautner, and Mark Copus were just here today. I told Phil he better clone him!!
He smiled, and nodded. They both said they have seen allot of good ones out of him this summer.

knabe

lowann said:

ask him which lots are ET quality, tell me, and buy more than 10 units.  you have been warned.

jason

I got some video of a monopoly steer that I will get up shortly, everything that i have seen has been real good

FutureBreeder2013

knabe said:
FutureBreeder2013 said:

only reason i say that is because IMO an outcross bull will dethrone the king which IMO again is heatwave as of now

knabe

FutureBreeder2013 said:
only reason i say that is because IMO an outcross bull will dethrone the king which IMO again is the king as of now

what percent is because he is an outcross versus a multicross, ie hybrid vigor to percentage whatever cows. ie he seems to nick well on charolais base commercial cows.

FutureBreeder2013

knabe said:
FutureBreeder2013 said:
only reason i say that is because IMO an outcross bull will dethrone the king which IMO again is the king as of now

what percent is because he is an outcross versus a multicross, ie hybrid vigor to percentage whatever cows. ie he seems to nick well on charolais base commercial cows.

great point. so there really is no set "king" then it all depends on what breed of cows/heifers ya got?

aj

Looks like to me ohldes cattle have a shot at making a major contribution. Angus that don't have the ridiculous plus 100 yearling epd's. Angus that actually look like Angus. I know dad had a Olhde bull used in his 150 head commercial herd. He told me that the first 27 calves were out of Ohldes bull. Can you say early gestation. Big Bwt's have been blamed on calves sired by bulls going say 14 days over A.I. date. What it is....gestation length is the key. I know the Shorthorn show people always blame the altitude or the humidity or the nutrition or the scales ...or the latitude or the high gravity for the the big birth weight scenario! Here's a news flash.....how changing genetics.... could it be that the trump rodeo drive genetic may be a cause of big birth weights? Just a thought.... I think that the white gus bull may moderate things a little also.jmo ;D