Eye Candy Dead

Help Support Steer Planet:

iowabeef

Sadly Trausch Farms announced on their current BW sale that Eye Candy has passed.  Too bad as he was a great bull.

mccannfarms

Why do so many of the big AI club calf bulls die so young? I mean Eye Candy was just shy of 6 y/o.

vc

I would guess pushed hard and early, I bet if they were allowed to fully mature before they were pushed as hard as they are they might just last longer.

renegadelivestock

mccannfarms said:
Why do so many of the big AI club calf bulls die so young? I mean Eye Candy was just shy of 6 y/o.

i am a believer that they die so young because they are SUPPOSED to die young! every good clubby bull was meant to be a show steer, and got lucky to keep their nuts. steers are bred to be termenal, and 6 yo is ancient for a steer

Ohio1

mccannfarms said:
Most of those bulls have a rough life they might be at stud for months at a time although not all die young heat wave was 10!

chambero

If you run many bulls on cows you know that your avg lifespan is in the 7-8 yr range - for bulls that only breef 50 cows a year.

blackdiamond

chambero said:
If you run many bulls on cows you know that your avg lifespan is in the 7-8 yr range - for bulls that only breef 50 cows a year.

do the little clubby bulls breed 10 cows a year? 

How many cows did ole HW service naturally?  Less than 10 in his life?  That's only one cow per year...

twistedhshowstock

Doesnt really matter how many he bred naturally.  They are still jumping to be collected, some of these bulls go to stud for months and some get collected every day or every other day. How many bulls do that naturally? Plus they dont just work for a breeding season, they are collected throughout the year.  Some of them, many of them, breed naturally during breeding season then go to stud in the off season while herd bulls would be resting for the next season.  Plus as was stated on here earlier, these are terminal crossed bulls, they arent bred for longevity.  Terminal crosses arent bred to even make it to 2 years, they are bred to have product and style and grow to a marketable weight and then go to the rail.  All that being said a bull of a pedigree that wasnt bred to even last past 2 yrs making it to 6 doubled the life expectancy of most of his mates.

chiangus

Quick fire said:
Overrated.

Definitely not overrated he produced some of our stoutest and hairiest calves from a bull not named heatwave or monopoly

DLF

Don't get me wrong, I like the bull, but find it funny that he happened to just die right around when people buy semen for spring breeding, right when Trausch's are having an online sale and selling a bunch of it starting at $75. Honestly, I thought the bull died last year because I bought semen on him and then picked it up and it had doubled in price. Don't be surprised if he comes back to life next summer. With these clubby bulls you never know what to believe!

justintime

Ohio1 said:
mccannfarms said:
Most of those bulls have a rough life they might be at stud for months at a time although not all die young heat wave was 10!

Heatwave should have died a few years before he did. The last few years that bull lived were totallyinhumane. I saw him about 5 years ago at Hawkeye, and thinking about the pain that bull was in, still bothers me bigtime. I have raised cattle my entire life, have seen almost every injury and affliction, but nothing in my life, prepared me for seeing Heatwave moan in total agony!

Most clubby bulls die young probably because they are unsound and their joints fall apart. I expect some have to die because of injury as well, just as what happens with many other non clubby bulls.

Carter

He is dead. He was recovering from a stifel injury and went down hill. And no he is not overrated. he is one of the best bulls out there.

HeiferShower14

He died this fall and they chose to announce it at there annual futurity show because it would be a highlight. Hes not going to "come back alive" this summer.

mccannfarms

My point on the earlier post was to contrast that to many of the PB bulls that stand at stud tend to live longer, while there are some clubby bulls that live to older ages it just seems odd to me that so many die "young" and at the peaks of their popularity... just my humble observation