Eye Candy Dead

Help Support Steer Planet:

Cattle Cards

twistedhshowstock said:
Plus as was stated on here earlier, these are terminal crossed bulls, they arent bred for longevity.  Terminal crosses arent bred to even make it to 2 years, they are bred to have product and style and grow to a marketable weight and then go to the rail.  All that being said a bull of a pedigree that wasnt bred to even last past 2 yrs making it to 6 doubled the life expectancy of most of his mates.

I said something very similar when the news broke that Thriller had died.  Everybody called me a hater.  I have noting against any of these bulls.  It's just a fact.  We're picking our bulls to be like and to sire the best show steers that we can.  Heck, how many bulls out there are either full sibs or clones to Champion show steers?  That speaks volumes.  I would also wonder, when they sell the quantity of semen that some of these guys do, keeping these bulls in such close quarters and having them collected as frequently as they do, doesn't help their longevity any either.

Limiman12

Purebred bulls are bred to be seed stock, longevity is part of the desired package as the breeding should work if it a female or a bull born......  I don't know about other breeds but limousin has an epd for longevity.  Or herd stay ability I think is what they call it.