Fall calf pics

Help Support Steer Planet:

SKF

Here's some pics of the last of our fall born calves. They were all born in mid to late Oct. The last calf was born a week ago Friday. She is pictured in another post. Had 16 live calves and lost three. The last group I think are the best we have ever had so we are excited to see how they turn out. They were all out of our new herd bull who's an Ali son except the shorthorn baby. How did everyone else do with their fall calving season? Post pics if you have some. I love seeing everyone's pictures! ;D

Attachments

• calves 11-22-08 145a.JPG
    calves 11-22-08 145a.JPG
    155.4 KB · Views: 126
  • calves 11-23-08 004a.JPG
    calves 11-23-08 004a.JPG
    214.1 KB · Views: 141
  • calves 11-23-08 060a.JPG
    calves 11-23-08 060a.JPG
    129.8 KB · Views: 132
  • calves 11-23-08 041a.JPG
    calves 11-23-08 041a.JPG
    160.7 KB · Views: 127
  • calves 11-23-08 057a.JPG
    calves 11-23-08 057a.JPG
    126 KB · Views: 131

CPL

Those are all very nice calves. It seems like its getting harder and harder to find calves of that quality from some of the cleanup/herd bulls being used.

j3cattleco

Well here is our first ET baby out of that 300 cow we lost.  I attached her momma pic and the baby born late Nov out of Sunseeker.  

Attachments

• PawPaw_300small.jpg
    PawPaw_300small.jpg
    370.2 KB · Views: 114
  • purdya.JPG
    purdya.JPG
    355.9 KB · Views: 131

chambero

Just from the photos, I like the smoke calf and the last one pictured.

There's lot of good bulls running around in pastures nobody ever hears about.  Photos of calves like this prove it.

SKF

j3cattleco said:
Well here is our first ET baby out of that 300 cow we lost.  I attached her momma pic and the baby born late Nov out of Sunseeker.  

I really like your calf!!!

CAB

SKF, that Ali clean-up/herd sire is doing a great job for you. I like the bottom calf the best.
  Josh, your SS looks great also. Is the cow pictured the biological momma or the recip?If she's a recip, she's darn good. Do you have any Catalyst calves on the ground yet? Brent

BCCC

CAB said:
SKF, that Ali clean-up/herd sire is doing a great job for you. I like the bottom calf the best.
  Josh, your SS looks great also. Is the cow pictured the biological momma or the recip?If she's a recip, she's darn good. Do you have any Catalyst calves on the ground yet? Brent
That cows the donor and she died. Love the sunseeker and I really like the bottom two calves of SKF's especially the white socked calf but Im a sucker for chrome lol

Camo

Love the smokey's butt  and the  white tip on the tail.

j3cattleco

Thanks for the compliments.  Yes that's the Donor that died.

Brent, we have had two they exemplify cool.  Big boned, hairy and rocket fronted.  Like we thought doesn't look like he's going to add middle but it doesn't look like he's taking it out either so far.  The verdict is still out but we have close to 50 coming this spring so well know for sure then.  Think we deiced to flush a couple cows this spring to wilson.  One is that Lucky Strike cow we own.  Pretty excited about those possibilities. 

jrg

I remember that 300 cow from McCreary's.  She was a good rip.  You never seem to lose the bad ones heh.

CAB

Sorry for your lost of your donor Josh. If you get ready to order semen on Wilson, please PM me and we'll figure out which is the most economical way to get you semen,but most importantly, we can make sure that you get flush quality semen. Are they going to get very many Catalyst calves up @ CTR, or do you know for sure? BTW your SS calf looks like one that we had born 4/4/08 out of a Traveler 71 GD. We think that she will be a very good show heifer and will keep her to try to end up with a good cow down the road. Brent

j3cattleco

Brent, do you all have wilson collected at Hawkeye,  I have some semen in storage there that I need sent out sometime and that would be nice if we could piggy back that.  I don't know about Catalyst  calves at CTR.  We haven't heard about anyone using him much.  We did learn it is hard to take a long yearling to Denver.  I don't know if we will ever do that again.  It's hard when your not small and fuzzy, people just don't like looking at them without the 6 inches of shag. 

JRG, Yeah she was good.  Thankfully she flushed well and we still have quite a few eggs in the tank, but your right the sickle hocked, one eyed, hatched butted ones, never die!

jrg

if you don't mind me asking, how many times did you flush her and what did she average?

CAB

Josh, Wilson is collected down @ Champion Genetics in Tx., but we have a large semen bank @ Hawkeye B/C all of the owners are from Iowa. The semen quality was 2/3s flush quality 1/3 AI quality. When you get ready Josh, PM me and I will get the semen released to you. It is a shame that it does take that little fuzzy  look to catch the eye of breeders.You have a very good out cross bull Josh, but the reality of it is that like Wilson and countless others, Catalyst is going to be on the 5/6 year program to prove himself through his offspring. Do you remember meeting me back in your pen last year in Denver? You and someone else were blowing out Catalyst getting him ready to take up to your display area. The truth of the matter is that there is kind of a small window that the display bulls fit into. They need to be 13/14 months old to hit it right. Much older and they can get into a tough growth period and much younger you take a chance of spending good money promoting and then the bull not freezing quality semen fast enough. It takes a very, very good bull to bring out as a 2 year old for some reason. Promotion is a big part of making a bull work. Good Luck with the calves you going to get. I hope they are good as you want them to be. Brent

j3cattleco

Yeah Brent, I remember meeting you.  Unfortunately, if I see you at Denver I might not remeber your face.  For that I will apologize ahead of time.  The bull promotion thing I think is a shot in the dark, like a buddy of mine always says, "the prettiest ladies don't always make the best biscuits!"  We don't ever expect to sell a ton of semen on a bull the first year.  I hardly buy semen on unproven bulls so we don't expect many people to try our bulls the first year.  The proof is always in the offspring.  If Catalyst throws good cattle and we think he is consistent enough to be an assest to the cattle industry we will promote him further, if his cattle don't live up to our expectations this spring he will probably get sold to the commercial guy next door.  That's life  sometimes you win and sometimes you lose.  That's why we will only promote bulls we raise as I am not about to write a huge check for some 6 way cross with a huge butt and a ton of hair that theres no guarantee will ever raise one. 

Jrg, we flushed her twice and got 18 out of sunseeker and 19 out of smooth sailing.