Favorite Bulls on display at NWSS

Help Support Steer Planet:

justintime

I got to see Ivy League and he is a bull that is going to do some good things. I missed meeting up with his owners though. That, in my opinion is almost as important as seeing the bull, but I simply ran out of time. One regret of my Denver trip.  I think he can work in both worlds. He has hair, but he also has a lot of good below the hair. I did not see him on the move, but he did look pretty sound to me. His feet are all going in the right directions and they are positioned under him where a bulls legs are supposed to be.

As I said before, Stumpy's Gus bull is exactly where I think we need to be looking at. His is so structurally sound and he had such an absolute presence in the stall and especially in the ring. This is a bull that can make a mark on the breed. I will be flushing to him for sure. I heard a few people commenting that he was too big. In my opinion, he is not too big, and there are many cows in all breeds that would mate up extremely well with him. He is white, but it stops at his hide. He has near perfect muscle expression. Yes, there were some heavier muscled bulls of all breeds in Denver, but this bull has what I refer to as Optimum muscle, which is where I think we need to be.( ie: muscle without it messing up structural soundness and calving ease). When he walks his jump muscles pop like two weanling pigs in a gunny sack. He has lots of capacity, and he has more lower quarter than most Shorthorn bulls.  Besides this he has a softness to him that almost ensures that he will sire easy fleshing cattle. He is living proof that you DO NOT have to reduce frame to develop easy fleshing ability. I know the 80C side of his pedigree very well, and I do not think TM Gus will be a sire that will increase frame. He has a wonderful temperment... something we should never forget about. Gus may not be considered a steer jocks dream, but I think he will still sire some impressive, sounder made blue colored calves from some clubby black females.This bull is so sound made, that he could still be a force as a 12 or 14 year old bull, barring injury. There were some other widely talked about bulls in Denver, but most has some structural flaws that I think we need to be careful with.

I also was very impressed with the Pure Power bull bred by John Hagie and owned by Cagwin. I agree he was not walking very well in the ring but I also watched him walk outside and I thought he moved much better. I am very impressed with his muscle pattern, especially from hooks to pins. He is another bull with excellent lower quarter, and he is tight sheathed and clean made.He also has that extra muscle without it messing up his shoulder too much. Cattle with additioanl muscle will also have additional shoulder. This should not adversely affect calving ease if the slope of the shoulder is proper. I think this bull is OK there.  He has good testicles and more than adequate capacity. If I were to change him, I would put a little bigger foot on him. That said, he has some very useable qualities and traits and I think if he is mated properly, he is going to sire some really good ones in both sexes. He would have been my Reserve Grand bull in the Shorthorn show. I liked him enough that I bought petting rights in him. I think he will mate well with some of my donors... I guess we will find out anyways.  I find it amazing how small the world is anymore. Right now, I am sitting in Calgary, after my second messed up flight dumped me off here for the night.( United did  get me a $200 room and a $20 meal, so I am not real upset) I checked my email to find an email from Scotland asking when I would have Pure Power embryos available. I just completed this deal a couple hours before I left Denver, and i don't think I mentioned this to more than one or two people. Maybe bad news travels fast! I am thinking he will do more good than bad, or I would have not have bought in.

I saw several other bulls that had lots of use. The ones I picked out are the ones I felt would work the best for my females and move me where I am trying to go. Some of those other bulls, may be better for someone else's cows and help move them closer to their goals. That is what makes this cattle breeding thing such an adventure and so much fun, in that it is each of us trying to select and match specific bulls to specific females.

kfacres

I believe the PVF Angus bull's name was Nevermore.... Someone may correct me if I am wrong. 

My judging teams' schedule didn't allow for me to get up into the hill, So I am sure very good bulls were up there, Probably better than those in the yards, usually is... Anyways, I too liked the Lot 8 bull of Jungels, and Am glad Select Sires bought him... Means I can use him quite cheaply now... Use SS very much....

bluffcountrycattle

Do you remember if the PVF bull was bred by them, or just owned?  Any idea what the pedigree looked like?  Thanks!

farmboy

sooooo in the general consensus which bull will make the big bones hairy meat wagon steers, Ncharge or Womanizer? or should i try them both.

hey dusty did you get any of eye candy

shortyjock89

zach said:
sooooo in the general consensus which bull will make the big bones hairy meat wagon steers, Ncharge or Womanizer? or should i try them both.

hey dusty did you get any of eye candy

both would probably do that for you.  N Charge is probably nicer fronted, with Womanizer probably being a bit thicker.  I would probably use N Charge first.

shortyjock89

Womanizer is a bit bigger, but he's also probably a little coarser.  I think NCharge is going to be big enough.

chambero

I know a good steer doesn't necessarily translate to a good bull (the era of cloning makes that statement valid), but Houston comes from a mating that has produced two of the best Charolais-X steers that have ever shown in Texas.  Those steers aren't just hairy midgets.  They win with hair and without.  If Milkman works, this bull ought to have a real chance to work as good or better.  Thanks for the photo on him. 

cpubarn

I didn't get back to the displays before they disapeared.  Who was going to carry BoJo and N-Charge?

Thanks

ploughshare

kfacres said:
NO they bought him.  Can't remember his pedigree I know it is a ________ x ____________ x Stockman 365

BC Raven x Northern Improvement  x WK Winnie cow purchased from Bob May,WI  owned by Prairie View Farms, IL

Looks to have some bone and a lot of style with a neat front.  Raven stamped this bull with a lot of himself. 

Dusty

cpubarn said:
I didn't get back to the displays before they disapeared.  Who was going to carry BoJo and N-Charge?

Thanks

I imagine all the distributors will have it...

midway6376

Glenstory said:
kfacres said:
NO they bought him.  Can't remember his pedigree I know it is a ________ x ____________ x Stockman 365

BC Raven x Northern Improvement  x WK Winnie cow purchased from Bob May,WI  owned by Prairie View Farms, IL

Looks to have some bone and a lot of style with a neat front.  Raven stamped this bull with a lot of himself. 

The bull is called Nevermore and there is a video of him on cattle.com along with an interview.

kane1598

From the limited pics/videos I have seen I really like Bojo, Houston and Babe Ruth. I