Fun calf names for this year!

Help Support Steer Planet:

kanshow

Here's where it gets confusing at our farm.   The heifer's get registered names that fit along their bloodlines but then they might end up getting called something entirely different and that becomes the name they get called.   

Last year, our son named his pig Mrs. Eat A Lot.    That has to be one of the funnier names we've had around here. 

garybob

frostback said:
I forgot to mention that while I name them with the dams name I do change it slightly so they are easeir to remember. Just changing the numbers gets too confusing to me. I usually put a name either in front or behind that old name that starts with the year letter.
Naming them the way You do, it's reasonably easier to read the pedigrees, and know what I'm looking at. Didn't mean to ruffle your feathers so much.

GB

garybob

4Ts4H said:
Here's a couple:

We have a bull calf on the ground out of a red cow we call Ginger and Sin City - were callin him SMOOTH CRIMINAL

A second  Sin City calf we have dubbed BODY OF EVIDENCE

Another is out of a blaze faced cow named Misty bred to Sin City also - a massive blue roan known as MIGHTY JOE YOUNG (kinda looks like a silver back gorilla)

My daughter's hereford is named FIONA - her calf next year should be fun to name, dependant on the bull we use?!?!?
Ain't there one out there, in AI, called ZIA SMOOTH CRIMINAL?

GB

ROAD WARRIOR

garybob said:
red said:
Gary bob- they didn't give you enough drugs!!!  ;) I guess I like the cute or fun names. I register them so if someone needs to look up their pedigree it's there. Of course I have a small herd so it's easy for me.

As far as certain bull names I was always of the same opinion until I realized some of the bull's names I've used. ForePlay, Hard Core, Triple X & gigolo Joe aren't really to suggestive but a little border line for some. I still have problems w/ a name that suggests a tragedy or crime.

Red
What caught my attention was when I heard of one called "Money Shot". Seriously. Leave that kinda thinking behind at Bachelor Parties.

GB

GB - I play alot of pool, mostly eight ball. To me the "money shot" is the shot that leads to a table run and win. JMO! RW

OH Breeder

Alright, I am NO good at names. I do like to use the sire and dams name. But we end up calling them nick names in thebarn. So...help me with the following calves.

Two roan shorthorn bull calves- CF Primo x CT Miranda
One Red with a white spot on each of her sides Double Vision x Quantum Queen ( kind of thought Quantum Vision)
All black calf with an afro  Hardings Glitter x  Who da Man
Heifer born today Baldy - 3 C Macho x WMW dam very cool little gal

shortdawg

OH Breeder said:
Alright, I am NO good at names. I do like to use the sire and dams name. But we end up calling them nick names in thebarn. So...help me with the following calves.

Two roan shorthorn bull calves- CF Primo x CT Miranda
One Red with a white spot on each of her sides Double Vision x Quantum Queen ( kind of thought Quantum Vision)
All black calf with an afro  Hardings Glitter x  Who da Man
Heifer born today Baldy - 3 C Macho x WMW dam very cool little gal

OH Breeder, Miranda's Right, Miranda's Lefty, Quantum Vision or Double Queen, Glitter Man or Hardly the Man, Macho Maid

shortdawg

Since we are on this subject, I've been saving a name to start a cow line of my own. Would you use it only on a calf you were the breeder on or any calf that was born on your farm that you thought would be good enough that you would want a long line of females from ( ex. ET calf  from a famous bloodline) ? Really most everyone's cow lines originated from some other breeder's stock, right ?

We have names that are extensions of the cow line they are from and we have names that are totally made up. The one in the Clemson Sale is named Monique. We named our herd bull Denver b/c we were going to Denver the day after he was born, that's really original. ??? We were talking the other day about young calves being dinks so we decided to name on of my son's new show heifers Dinky.

OH Breeder

Thanks shorthdawg.

Miranda is a Red Riders Drive daughterand Irish lassie cow and Primo being a Desert Rose son - Irish Red Riders Rose 01, Irish Red Riders Rose 02 there is a bull Grizzley Rose why not???
Quantum queen get there roots from AF Shannon Margie and margie's Dream-  in there. Quantum Dream
LIke Glittler Man
Macho's dam is 3c Crocus and Meyer 734 trying to use that with Who Made Who

showgirl2010

frostback said:
I forgot to mention that while I name them with the dams name I do change it slightly so they are easeir to remember. Just changing the numbers gets too confusing to me. I usually put a name either in front or behind that old name that starts with the year letter.

Ya me too.  I have a cow that is named Esther and her hef. name is Essie Ann.

Jamie

Rodeo

One of my steers is out of CF Binnie 543 and Ar Su Lu Tonic, so we named him KCC Bin N Tonic.

Davis Shorthorns

We have been naming our animals after my great grandparents who started raising shorties around the 20's.  Our bull calf this year is called DF RC Reload  He is a Revamp son out of TM Kimmelhill 64p (TM Dazzler 54p's sister).  RC stands for Roy Charles(Great Grand Dad) and our little heifer calf is DF Kendra's Irene out of our bull DF Hunters Buckshot and our Kendra Cow.  I never got to meet my Great Grand parents, but I think that it is a great way to recogneise what they have done and who they were.

OH Breeder

Rodeo said:
One of my steers is out of CF Binnie 543 and Ar Su Lu Tonic, so we named him KCC Bin N Tonic.

THAT ONE is cool. LIke it.
Help me with my
3C Macho x WMW momma heifer calf. She is a black baldy. Macho is out of Meyer 734 and 3c Crocus of course we all know WHO.

red

Hubby's mom's name was Velma. Might use that for the V's! We've also named steers after landlords & such. My favorite was Ralph.

Red

oakbar

I don't think my last post went through for some reason so I'll post it again.

We have a Who Made Who bull calf out of my daughter's heifer "Scotch" (Studer's PretenderXMiss V8 I'm Fooling) that we are either going to call Who's Fooling Who or Who's Scotch.

My niece's Lovely Lady cow was named "Hot Dog" by her 4 year old when she bought her.  He's already tagged her Sin City bull calf as "Ketchup".  I thought maybe "Weiner", Sinful Frank, Weiner City, or Buns---but I was overruled!! 

red

oakbar said:

We have a Who Made Who bull calf out of my daughter's heifer "Scotch" (Studer's PretenderXMiss V8 I'm Fooling) that we are either going to call Who's Fooling Who or Who's Scotch.

My niece's Lovely Lady cow was named "Hot Dog" by her 4 year old when she bought her.   He's already tagged her Sin City bull calf as "Ketchup".   I thought maybe "Weiner", Sinful Frank, Weiner City, or Buns---but I was overruled!! 

How about Scotch Guard? Or Butterscotch?

JbarL

oakbar said:

My niece's Lovely Lady cow was named "Hot Dog" by her 4 year old when she bought her.   He's already tagged her Sin City bull calf as "Ketchup".   I thought maybe "Weiner", Sinful Frank, Weiner City, or Buns---but I was overruled!! 

Skuch...... ;)

SKF

this year are calves names are hemmiingway, gizmo ,lacey ,oakley, zelda (cow)!!!!!!!!!!