Fun calf names for this year!

Help Support Steer Planet:

Rodeo

OH Breeder said:
Rodeo said:
One of my steers is out of CF Binnie 543 and Ar Su Lu Tonic, so we named him KCC Bin N Tonic.

THAT ONE is cool. LIke it.
Help me with my
3C Macho x WMW momma heifer calf. She is a black baldy. Macho is out of Meyer 734 and 3c Crocus of course we all know WHO.

Maybe "Macho Muchacha." :)

renegade

My steers are Romeo (blue roan) pyro (red/horned) the heifers are Journey, Juliet, and Shorty.  Siblings steers are - lucky, tiny, rebal, gladiator, and spike.

Oakbar - how about Studs P Scotch (JK)

oakbar

Red,

I'll pass on the names you recommended and see how the selection committee rules!!  Thanks for the input!! 

You may wonder what I'm doing writing this at 4:01 a.m.--I just got up to check on our Calberta Paydirt cow and she'd had a heifer calf out of our our bull(TrumpX AP330H) so I ran down to the barn to help her dry her off and put some iodine on her navel.  She's a black Brockle face with white vertical stripes up and down each leg.  Really interesting color pattern.    I'll post pictures when she's afew days old. 

justintime

OK.... I am about to upset some of you. These are my personal opnionions about naming purebred cattle. I believe in cow families and I believe they are extremely important in any breed ... and to any breeder. I feel all purebred females should belong to a female lineage, and this should be in their"official name". You can have any number of nicknames you want... I could care less, but the family name is very important to me. I really find it hard to trace a pedigree of an animal that has every female named something different. One of my donor cows comes from the Picture Perfect cow family. Her name is Presto... but every female calf she has gets named Picture Perfect... with my herd prefix and her tattooo number and letter. If I purchase a female which comes from a line of non discript females in her background, each of which have their own name, I will trace back as far as I can and see if  I can find if there is a cow family in her background. Most times I can find one, but not always. If I can't I start a new line and all the female calves will carry this name. Like I said, cow families are extremely important to me , and I know they are also extemely important to many others.

I think there are cow families in every breed that almost all breeders identify with. In the Shorthorn breed, for example, the Augusta Pride tribe are a very important line of females. I will never understand it but I have seen some breeders change the name of a calf that is born from an Augusta Pride female. I JUST DON"T UNDERSTAND THIS LOGIC!  Anyone who does this probably reduced the value of their heifer as well. I just don't get it!  There are many other examples.

On the other hand, I think every bull should have his own name. A bull can sire numerous calves in his lifetime and he should have his own name. Some people, including myself, use names that start with the year letter. All my bulls born in 2007 had names starting in "T"  The only time this becomes a problem is in years like 2008, when the year letter is "U". I could probably think up enough U names but I also thionk a bull deserves a decent name.... not just a meaningless name that starts in the year letter. I will probably use a set of names that  I have not used from other years this year and go back to using the pther system next year again... that is , unless I can get real inventive and think of enough good names that start in "U".

Maybe I am old fashioned( as well as being old!!) but it actually frustrates me some when I see cow family names being messed with. I could care less if they also have a nickname, in fact I think it is actually very good to have nicknames for some of the better females. I just strongly believe that cow families are important, in purebred breeding stock. In the clubbie world, or in commercial breeding stock, you can call them whatever you wish. Usually these cattle are  a blending of genetics from more than one breed, so cow families are not as important.

shortdawg

JIT, If you name one of your bulls " UGA " I'm on the semen buying list already !  ;D (dog)

farmgirl760

When my sister got her first show heifer 3 1/2 years ago she named her Tinkerbell. Well Tink has had 2 calves and the bull was Peter Pan and the heifer she had this past February is Cinderella, Cindy for short. Then she get another show heifer this year and named her Wendy.

Out here my sister and her friends try to come up with the weirdest names. Last year we had a Da-IRy, a Wonder, and a Tonic, all veal calves. This year veal are Scooter and Slider. Then the steers were Malibu, Bean, Carhartt, Stetson, Wrangler, Shorty and i cant remember the last ones.

All my calves have normal names like Courtney and her calf Cheyenee, and Cinnamon.

Rocky Hill Simmental

I love naming cattle.  ;D

My first heifer this year (from my holstein cow) I named Baby Ruth because the day she was born my dog had an old Baby Ruth candy bar wrapper and he was chewing on it.. I have no idea were he found it though. My other heifer from my jersey x angus I named Daisy because her mama's name is Jasmine so I thought I'd stick with a flower name. 

<- The steer in my picture with the white on his face was an old show steer of mine. I actually got him when he was a baby calf to bottle feed. I always called him Brooklyn. Then I noticed that the spot on his head looked like the Honda symbol so I officially named him Brooklyn's Little Honda.

My show heifers last year were named Paris and Nicky. At the fair, my friend even came up with a slogan for them: "Paris and Nicky: Two Spoiled Heifers"  (lol)

I named one of my uncle's steers Mach 5 because there was an M shape on the calf's head that was just like on Speed Racer's car. You got to love naming calves with white on their face.

shortdawg

I think we finally decided on our names for this year : Dink and Dinky ( They are both young calves that are small ), Elsie ( Lucky Charm heifer - L for Lucky and C for Charm hence Elsie, this will not be her papred name), Opie, and Annie.

Dink - White Eye x Shorthorn Cross cow ( Black)

Dinky - Double bred Trump ( Roan )

Elsie - Bloodstone x Lucky Charm (Roan)

Opie - JPJ x Reg. Shorthorn (Red/White)

Annie - Radioactive x Casper cow ( Roan )

Hope to post some pics in a day or so.