GAY MARRIAGE IN IOWA

Help Support Steer Planet:

oakbar

Actually, the majority of Iowans do not agree with the concept of gay marriage--only a majority of the Iowa Supreme Court judges!!  The majority here in Iowa was shocked by the decisions and will probably eventually have more of a say in this ruling.   Unfortunately, it looks like Iowa is not immune to "legislation from the bench" anymore than any other state in the union.

TJ

zach said:
TJ said:
zach said:
last year my brothers other cousins uncles sisters husbands uncle's nephew had a 140 lb lowline calf TJ. true story

:D

:eek:

They must live in KY.  (lol)

yea yea. thats where my family is from.... Kin-tuckey

This is no joke... my wife's 2nd cousin is also my 3rd cousin & we all live in Kin-tuckey.   ;)

I'm related to the guy on his dad's side & my wife is related to him on his mom's side, so my wife & I are only related by marriage (literally).  (lol) 

aj

The thing I don't understand about the bible is this. It was ok to own human slaves. The people that interpeted that as ok bother me. So its ok to own a nigger(as the early southern churches claimed). It is ok to take another persons freedom from them and use them as physical or sexual property. It according to these peoples interpetiation of the bible ok to beat a black person to death if they don't get there quota of work done for the day. I just can't believe that the people who wrote the bible were not biased by the practices of the time.Of the people I know who are religous 50% are really intelligent and don't belive in slavery and whatnot. The other 50% are lost and are looking for guidance. They have the IQ of a grapefruit. The other 50% of the people believe that the world is a old place and that man has been here for thousands of years. I believe in god but I question alot of the interpetaters of the bible. Why is it ok to own a nigger and stone someone to death yet havesting a stem cell deal is all holly hell. I guess I don't get it. I have read the bible the last 15 nights before I went to sleep and I sleep well at night. Lord forgiv me.

aj

For the record.....the unflattering term for a black person is pre-editted as meaning 'you guys are the best".

TJ

aj said:
The thing I don't understand about the bible is this. It was ok to own human slaves. The people that interpeted that as ok bother me. So its ok to own a You guys are the best. (as the early southern churches claimed). It is ok to take another persons freedom from them and use them as physical or sexual property. It according to these peoples interpetiation of the bible ok to beat a black person to death if they don't get there quota of work done for the day. I just can't believe that the people who wrote the bible were not biased by the practices of the time.Of the people I know who are religous 50% are really intelligent and don't belive in slavery and whatnot. The other 50% are lost and are looking for guidance. They have the IQ of a grapefruit. The other 50% of the people believe that the world is a old place and that man has been here for thousands of years. I believe in god but I question alot of the interpetaters of the bible. Why is it ok to own a You guys are the best.  and stone someone to death yet havesting a stem cell deal is all holly hell. I guess I don't get it. I have read the bible the last 15 nights before I went to sleep and I sleep well at night. Lord forgiv me.

aj, show me one verse in the Bible where it says that it is OK to beat a slave to death if they don't meet their daily quota!  Or for that matter, so me a verse that even comes 1/2 way close.  

Ephesians 6:9... "And masters, treat your slaves in the same way. Do not threaten them, since you know that he who is both their Master and yours is in heaven, and there is no favoritism with him."

Actually, as you can read for yourself, the Bible teaches that "masters" where to treat their slaves with respect & NOT to threaten them!  I can't help what any early southern church taught, just like I can't help what the Roman Church did during the dark ages (including teaching a flat earth... they should've read the Bible more!!).   I've said it before & I will say it again, sometimes the devil joins a church.  Sometimes the devil steps into a pulpit.  Sometimes hypocrites sit in the pews of churches.   I can't help what those people do, or what they believe... all I can do is tell you what God says.

RE slavery... it was not ever supposed to be like "Roots".  It was a commitment to work for someone for a period of time, sometimes for life.  Actually even today, if you sign a contract to work for anyone or agree to work for them for a period time, you become a slave to them.  Yes, you get paid for it, but slaves were given food, clothing, homes, etc. & many were taken care of rather well.  You say it's not OK to be a slave, but if you have a loan with anyone, you are a slave.  The Bible teaches that the borrower is a slave to the lender.    Actually, most slaves were people who borrowed money & could not repay their debt.   Yes, slaves could be sold, but so can your loans.  Like I said, the Biblical version of slavery & what you have in mind are 2 totally different things.   The Bible version is more like an extremely loyal employee.  

Were there bad slave owners?  You bet!  Are there bad bosses today?  You bet!  Are there bad companies to work for?  You bet!  Doesn't make any of it right or OK, it's just the way it is. 

The bottom line is this... The Bible  never once said to believe on the early southern churches.... It never said believe on the southern slave owner... It never said believe on the preachers or deacons at your local churches... It never said believe on TJ when he posts on Steerplanet...  What it does say is this... "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ & you will be saved..."   Believing on Christ is all that matters... so stop worrying about everyone else.  

In the Book of Revelation, 7 churches were mentioned.  Out of the 7, Jesus didn't like things that several were doing... He told the Church at Ephesus to repent!  He told the Church at Pergamum to repent! He told the Church at Thyatira, in a round about way, to repent!  He told the Church at Sardis to repent!   He told the Church at Laodicea that He was about to spit them out of His mouth!!!  The only 2 Churches that He didn't have anything against were the Churches at Philadelphia & Smyrna.  5 out of those 7 Churches had something going on that Jesus didn't like.  Again, stop worrying about what Churches think & only worry about what Christ thinks... What He thinks is all that matters!!      

aj, you keep bringing stuff up RE what a church member did or what churches have done in the past, but again, as I pointed out above, none of that stuff matters... the only thing that matters is what God says & if those church members or churches aren't living up to what God says, they are wrong.  Church members, Churches, Preachers, Deacons, Sunday School Teachers, ETC, ETC, can all be WRONG.  However, the Word of God is never wrong!        

jlingle

The bible clearly states that homosexuality is a sin.  That pretty much settles it for me.  I know, I know..... by today's standards, that makes me a bigot, homophobe, intolerant jerk, etc. etc. etc....... whatever.  Those who know me, know that none of those terms apply to me.  But still the gay folks and those who support them love to label me with them, because I refuse to think of homosexuality as "natural" or acceptable.  It's wrong. 

BIGTEX

If you know any homosexuals at all you would know they didn't choose to be gay, they just are. I don't think that people would choose that lifestyle over being heterosexual. I do think some people have a few more x or y than "normal"  hetero people.

farmboy

BIGTEX said:
If you know any homosexuals at all you would know they didn't choose to be gay, they just are. I don't think that people would choose that lifestyle over being heterosexual. I do think some people have a few more x or y than "normal"  hetero people.

true

jlingle

Wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong.  Not true.  There is absolutely no evidence whatsoever to support that claim.  Never has been.  They have a couple of "theories" but can't prove whether the behavior causes the physical symptoms or the symptoms cause the behavior.  I've researched this, and actually had to study it in college as well.  It's simply not true.

farmboy

jlingle said:
Wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong.  Not true.  There is absolutely no evidence whatsoever to support that claim.  Never has been.  They have a couple of "theories" but can't prove whether the behavior causes the physical symptoms or the symptoms cause the behavior.  I've researched this, and actually had to study it in college as well.  It's simply not true.

show some evidence to show that gay people are not predisposed to being gay

OH Breeder

jlingle said:

I would guess your research didn't entail actually talking to people who are gay. Research. Do you really want to go down that pathway? IS there any research stating why you are "straight" and like men/women? I would bet that you haven't spent much time talking with gay people. If you did you would know that no one would choose a life to be ostracized and put down as being "different" by choice.
On another note, there is research to support many theories. I work with research materials all the time as I work in the medical industry. My company works with proteomics. There were several studies looking the shape of the brain as well as the amount of testerone that was secreted by gay men. Confirmation there is a physical difference.
ALSO- They looked at certain sections of male homosexual brain and exposed them to a variety of smells. They found that latent homosexuals brains responded the same way that a heterosexual females brain did to male pheromones. I think maybe you should do some more research. Its out there if you want to find it.

But my advice to you, if you aren't gay then don't worry about it. Life will go on whether you accept gay people or not.

jlingle

Sorry, I'm going to edit this post. I don't want this to become an argument between folks that would probably otherwise be friends.  If you'd prefer to continue to discuss it, you're welcome to PM me.  I'll explain the rest of my beliefs on the subject through Pm, but I don't feel like it's necessary to help this argument to fester.  There won't be any minds changed, only feelings hurt. 

Sorry.

Telos

The new studies with identical twins, one Straight the other gay, supports that methylation takes place in the womb. Knabe could explain this better.

I too don't think anyone in their right mind would choose this lifestyle.

inthebarnagain

TJ said:
zach said:
TJ said:
zach said:
last year my brothers other cousins uncles sisters husbands uncle's nephew had a 140 lb lowline calf TJ. true story

:D

:eek:

They must live in KY.  (lol)

yea yea. thats where my family is from.... Kin-tuckey

This is no joke... my wife's 2nd cousin is also my 3rd cousin & we all live in Kin-tuckey.   ;)

I'm related to the guy on his dad's side & my wife is related to him on his mom's side, so my wife & I are only related by marriage (literally).   (lol) 

Get on Ancestry.com sometime.  You would be surprised at how closely you are related to some people.  They offer a 30 day free trial.  I found out that my husbands parents were third cousins, explains a lot!! :eek:

knabe

what word should hetero's be allowed to use to describe themselves with ONE word on government documents?

should anyone be allowed to do this?

oakbar

Our county is just across the border from MN near Interstate 35 and just a few mile south of Interstate 90 so if something is legal here and not in MN, SD, or WI we get a lot of traffic.  This has happened in the past with the sale of Oleo, lottery tickets, etc. 

This morning I had breakfast with our local magistrate.  He told me that they have already recieved requests from gay couples, not only here in Iowa, but from other states to schedule "marriage ceremonies".  They have also been warned by the state to make sure they do not show any discrimination with regards to these requests.  In other words, if they perform heterosexual marriages they must do the gay ones as well and there must be no "percieved" differences in them.  As he was explaining this to me, all I could think of was that we will probably be hearing about law suits in the future because the participants "percieved" that there was a bias shown and they were not happy with the service performed for them.  I can only hope that very soon we will be able to get the issue on the ballot like California did and that the Supreme Court will uphold the wishes of the voters more than they did the legislation passed by our elected representatives.   

rob1

Are the relationships between men and women getting so bad that more people are turning gay? LOL I know that the younger generation is having trouble with marriages and divorce is up but gay marriage? Leave it to Iowa to be a laughing stalk again, as if Grassley's comments werent bad enough.

knabe

there is no such thing as bi-partisanship anymore, or traditional values or a strong military.  just ask chuck schumer.

divide the country now.

to the left, bi-partisanship is getting those with an R attached to their name to give up their principles while the left gives up none of theirs.

this country is so over.

it's time.

GONEWEST

kk said:
its  close minded bull sh@% like that, that makes everyone think country people are a bunch of dumb redneck idiots

NOBODY ASKED YOU TO GET GAY MARRIED, DID THEY?

and no im not gay i just think bigotry against someones personal choices that dont affect you are pointless

Speaking up for right vs wrong does not make you a biggot, an idiot, or a dumb redneck. Immorality is not dangerous to the well being of this country. AMMORALITY, where there is no right or wrong is an extremely dangerous thought process that is taking over the way the country thinks.