Good semen!!

Help Support Steer Planet:

jbw

I went through my AI records and preg check info.  I will find out FOR SURE next spring but.. I came up with 100% on the Heatseeker, Grizzly and the My Turn semen. 32 total head.

I really feel good about breeding cows and know that the semen qaulity is up to par!!

jbw

Oh ya, I used 12 bulls, these are the ones that did not miss!

Bulldaddy

That's good to hear.  I was planning on using Grizzly on some heifers this spring.  One I was worried about this fall was Walks Alone since he is so new but I got 100 percent on him.  Must be good stuff.

Show Steaks

grizzly worked a perfect hundred for us and womanizer hit 85% but some of that could be the technician still good conception i though

tadpole

I had pretty good luck this year as well. I had 100% on Lut, My Turn, Mamas boy, SOS, Harwood 209, Apollo, Ice pick, and TC Stout.  Also went 3 for 4 on Muhammad. This is according to preg check results but am pretty confident. 

How about bulls you guys didnt have good luck with??  I havent had the best results from Tc Gridtopper for the past two years.  I also have bad luck with OCC legend. 

JBW.... you re-preg that 411 cow by chance?

Hollywood27

We were only 45% on Monopoly with or 40 bred to him.  All other sires were 70-80% including Heat Wave, Heat Seeker, Alias, Jimmy the Greek and Walks Alone.

Bulldaddy

tadpole said:
I had pretty good luck this year as well. I had 100% on Lut, My Turn, Mamas boy, SOS, Harwood 209, Apollo, Ice pick, and TC Stout.  Also went 3 for 4 on Muhammad. This is according to preg check results but am pretty confident. 

How about bulls you guys didnt have good luck with??  I havent had the best results from Tc Gridtopper for the past two years.  I also have bad luck with OCC legend. 

JBW.... you re-preg that 411 cow by chance?

I had bad luck last year using OCC Legend on a flush--got 25 non fertiles.  Then used 2 straws of Legend from a differenet collection and got both heifers bred.  Semen quality can vary not just from bull to bull but from collection to collection.  Also, some studs have higher standards than others and this can make a difference.  So many variables it is hard to make sense of results sometimes.

kjd farms

We have had very good conception rates over the past 3 years, running 80-90 per cent each year.  We've used Stout and Grid Topper with good success rates, including split straws on Stout.  We only used 5 straws of each though.  Monopoly was 2 for 2 for us, although they aren't due until the end of January.  WMW is always good, lots of split straws, we have a dozen coming this year, 3 of which have hit the ground.  We have used Ali, All About You, Manchild, Doctor Who, Sin City, Hannibal, Net Worth, New Horizon, and Emblazon, successfully as well.

Some of the cows we have missed on didn't click with the bull the first time either.

We have also changed our feeding to our cows prior to and during breeding by trying to feed dry hay only and limit how much haylage they get or least make sure it is some of our drier stuff.  We have a free choice breeding mineral at all times for our cows as well.

In Canada, we deal with Semex, ABS, and Genex. 

farmboy

3/4 Sunseeker
1/1 My Turn
1/1 Heatseeker
1/1 Hired Man
1/2 Naughty Pine
1/1 Vanilla Ice
2/3 Shiver

As far as i know only 3 didn't stick to the AI.

jbw

Tadpolio, I rechecked the cows, all is good. Nice avatar!!  You look like moviestars! ;) 

DTW

I heard alot of people not have good results with monopoly but i had excellent results.  Two flushes with 14 out of 15 fertilized and the other 11 out of 13 eggs.
Bred five cows all stuck.  1 flush and three cows bred from semen collected in 2008 the other two cows and flush from 2009.

Only one i had repeat was an sos but she was a first calf heifer and was bull bred last year so cant blame it on the semen. 
My turn 2/3
monopoly 5/5
sos  4/5
Rodman 3/3
jigsaw 1/1

It takes good semen but also proper timing and good nutrition and mineral program.

WFCC

3/3 - alias
2/7 - carnac
0/3 - who made who
3/4 - monopoly
3/3 - point taken