hard whiskey

Help Support Steer Planet:

acattle

I got to see this bull in Denver and he was pretty impressive. I had a couple of concerns with him. He almost seemed a little to good to be true with the low bw, being th/pha clean, having that much bone, power, and hair. If everything is true this bull is pretty cool. He seems pretty growthy, he was the biggest and tallest bull there for his age. That's my only downfall.

vc

Now let me get this strait, some heifers births are postponed a couple of months (just on paper) so they are the biggest for their age, but the bulls should be small for their age. It would be nice if you could get more club calf bulls to produce calves that peaked at 15-18months instead of 20-24. If the bull is balanced what is wrong with a little performance, if you mean he will finish out at 60" tall and his calves won't finish until their 1600 pounds I see your point, if you mean he converts feed to meat,I do not see a problem.

hbcc

i thought he was flat out awesome i am also glad i got on the list!

acattle

vc said:
Now let me get this strait, some heifers births are postponed a couple of months (just on paper) so they are the biggest for their age, but the bulls should be small for their age. It would be nice if you could get club more calves bulls to produce calves that peaked at 15-18months instead of 20-24. If the bull is balanced what is wrong with a little performance, if you mean he will finish out at 60" tall and his calves won't finish until their 1600 pounds I see your point, if you mean he converts feed to meat i do not see a problem.

No I am not saying that because if calves don't work out for showers they have to put on the weight for the feed lot. I want a bull that will put on the weight i just think he is going to get tall. Like i said i really like him i just want to see what  happens and what the calves turn out like.

Telos

Looking at the pedigree, Hard Whiskey is really super on paper IMO.A lot of linebreeding of one of my favorite cow families through Metric's dam. Following him back to the Ventura cow makes him even more interesting. I really think this bull has a ton of value. I apologize for mentioning his base width through the inside twist. Although I would like to see it a bit wider according to only a photo. This bull is a breeding bull that I predict will sire a ton of show heifers and great cows along with useful bulls. He will have some grow in him and should work well on clubby pedigrees too. Again, a really impressive and hard to come by pedigree on this guy. Good luck with him.

PWolf. You have a great cow in the making with his full sister. She looks pretty special and would be my favorite pick of just about everything out there if I was back in the business. She's going to be fun to watch in production.

twistedhshowstock

LOL...I never expected him to sire females like that...if thats what he is gonna produce I am sure there are a lot of guys that want to get on the list now!!! <party>

jbzdad

Pat.. really nice of you to post those pics... I think the pic of his dam and flushmate will sell a lot of semen for his owners... congrats to those guys and thanks for answering my questions .. Doc

jbzdad

Pat..,. do you have any performance numbers for the pictured heifer .. weaning and a recent weight?.. I know that we really have to have these heifers at 12-1300  pounds and 4 months bred when they go to state fair in sept... they really need to be 600 at weaning and 800 or so at 9 months ... this would probably answer some of the "performance"questions raised above

knabe

TYD said:
from the pics i would say his females have wonderful utters and should milk very well

not really seeing that.  legacy plus is not known for milk or is irish whiskey.  teats are kind of short and from my experience with legacy plus, the teats could use a little narrowing and lengthening, particularly on the rear set.  also, every legacy plus heifer i had, had extra teats.

cdncowboy

vc said:
Now let me get this strait, some heifers births are postponed a couple of months (just on paper) so they are the biggest for their age, but the bulls should be small for their age. It would be nice if you could get club more calves bulls to produce calves that peaked at 15-18months instead of 20-24. If the bull is balanced what is wrong with a little performance, if you mean he will finish out at 60" tall and his calves won't finish until their 1600 pounds I see your point, if you mean he converts feed to meat i do not see a problem.

One of the best posts I've ever read on here, whole heartedly agree.  A little performance certainly wouldn't hurt the clubby business.

kfacres

knabe said:
TYD said:
from the pics i would say his females have wonderful utters and should milk very well

not really seeing that.  legacy plus is not known for milk or is irish whiskey.  teats are kind of short and from my experience with legacy plus, the teats could use a little narrowing and lengthening, particularly on the rear set.  also, every legacy plus heifer i had, had extra teats.

you missed it.. was a spam post on here with leud women taking off clothing, in about 6 pictures...  this is what that post referred to..

like I said about 5 posts above... the best post on this thread was removed by the moderators-- for good reason...

knabe

Cut the BS said:
knabe said:
TYD said:

you missed it.. was a spam post on here with leud women taking off clothing, in about 6 pictures...  this is what that post referred to..

like I said about 5 posts above... the best post on this thread was removed by the moderators-- for good reason...

Well I guess I still agree with what i said.

What's a leud woman?  A hot German?

ECC

Just an update.  Hard Whiskey is NOW freezing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Let me know if anyone else wants on the lists.

SEA

I understand that Hard Whiskey is at Hawkeye Breeder's Service right now, or at least he was there Sunday.  The only negative thing I have heard about Hard Whiskey was someone questioning some structure issues.

Sure would be nice to take a trip and see him.  Has anyone on here seen him at somewhere other than Denver?  It would be nice to see him with his hair "broke down", and out "on the move" and check out his wheels.

Who lives close by Hawkeye, or is going to take a little road trip, and check him out for us, and give us all a full report?  <rock>

DCC show cattle

not starting anything but every promoted bull i have ever heard of that was seen at the stud has "structure problems" almost makes you wonder how much they actually get to move around and let the bulls be cattle instead of just standing around and collecting for a week...think the studs might be some of the reason for structure issues instead of the actual cattle?

SEA

To:  DCC,

I understand your point about bulls at the stud barns.  The bulls may not be in the "best possible situation for viewing or evaluating", compared to say in a level pasture.  However, standing still for several hours and not seeing them move at all in a display stall is not either.  Many times the bull studs are the only place that most of us can see the A.I. bulls, "live and in the flesh", as they are there at the stud for a prolonged period of time, and the studs allow visitors to view bulls. 

Please allow me to restate my original question.

Has anyone seen the bull Hard Whiskey "On the Move", or walking and in his "working clothes".  Perhaps in a pasture setting.  Perhaps at the NWSS going back and forth from wash rack or display.  Perhaps somewhere else?

I am not trying to discount or criticize the bull at all, in fact I really like what I have seen in photo's, and what I have heard, about Hard Whiskey.  I am seriously considering using him this spring on some Simmi cross cows to produce replacement females.  In my program, I normally, do not use a yearling "unproven" bull for the production of replacements, as it is a "high risk" venture.  I am just trying to find out more information on this new sire and perform my "due diligence", and research him as I do on most of the sires that I use.  Normally, for my herd, if I can not view, find out enough information and get the answers that I am looking for, on a particular bull, I do not use them.  You know the old saying, "there's allot of fish in the sea".

Thank you,

olsun

I stopped at Hawkeye a couple of days ago, mainly to see Hard whiskey. He does not appear to have any major soundness issues. In other words, he travels well. He isn't what I would consider too straight, and has good flex to his pasterns. He is thick and level topped as you would expect a good bull to be.His best feature to me would be his neat front. He really has only one feature that would keep me from using him other than the fact that I seldom use an unproven bull, it is the same feature that keeps me from using his grandsire Hatd Core. But,that said, I did not come on here to bash a bull. He is a great young bull, and I believe he will sire some great ones. I hope you all get the chance to go see him.