Heat Wave Original VS. Heat Wave Clones

Help Support Steer Planet:

shortyjock89

Yeah, I bought a mint Aquaman last winter for like fifty bucks. It was a steal. (lol)

knabe

hmm

http://cgi.ebay.com/1969-GI-JOE-SPACE-CAPSULE-SPACEWALK-MYSTERY-SET-W-BOX_W0QQitemZ330280411086QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item330280411086&_trkparms=39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A3|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

back when toys inspired the soul because it was real.

CJB

CJC said:
Go to www.lautnerfarms.com Heatwave is $65 and the clones are $30 or less.

Good luck with that.  Check this link out.  It's from the Deiter dispersal.  http://www.cattle.com/read.aspx?id=65   

I think it's crazy, but maybe it'll make the cows I've got bred to HW worth a little bit more this fall/winter.

CJC

Here it is at Top Sires.com
#Heat Wave ASK
# Heat Wave 1 $30
# Heat Wave 2 $30
# Heat Wave 3 $30
# Heat Wave 4 $30
# Heat Wave 5 $30
# Heat Wave 6 $25

I guess if you what to be that stupid and pay that much than go ahead.

I can see paying that kind of money for good maternal bulls like ( These are examples only not for sure about price;  Meyer 734, WMW Chill Factor, Carney Man, etc......); but not for one that doesn't have those traits.

Don't get me wrong I know he throws some darn good looking calves; If the cow can have them alive and not kill her. 

shortyjock89

CJC said:
#Heat Wave ASK
# Heat Wave 1 $30
# Heat Wave 2 $30
# Heat Wave 3 $30
# Heat Wave 4 $30
# Heat Wave 5 $30
# Heat Wave 6 $25

I can see paying that kind of money for good maternal bulls like ( These are examples only not for sure about price;  Meyer 734, WMW Chill Factor, Carney Man, etc......); but not for one that doesn't have those traits.

Don't get me wrong I know he throws some darn good looking calves; If the cow can have them alive and not kill her. 

Call them and try to buy it at that price.  If you can, then you have a market to double your money.

CJC

Olson Family Shorthorns said:
CJC said:
#Heat Wave ASK
# Heat Wave 1 $30
# Heat Wave 2 $30
# Heat Wave 3 $30
# Heat Wave 4 $30
# Heat Wave 5 $30
# Heat Wave 6 $25

Call them and try to buy it at that price.  If you can, then you have a market to double your money.

Just got off the phone with Mike @ Top Sire. He said Heatwave is $65 and the clones are $30. He said they are out of semen right now.   

chambero

We used Heat Wave for the first time this fall.  Had 12 calves out of 19 cows bred - a combination of the original and Heat Wave 1.  We only had one calf that you would call big at all and he was just barely too big to be born unassisted from a mature cow.  My only problem with him was the calves "get up and go" or vigor after birth.  We actually lost five of the 12 total to weird things - but those have been the only five we've lost out of nearly 150 some odd calves out of mature cows that have been born this fall.

Dead HW Calf no 1 - first calf we had born.  Tiny heifer, Looked premature but was alive and got up quickly,  Died a week after birth.  She was just too little to make it.
Dead HW Calf no 2 - watched momma have it, calf jumped up quickly.  Coyote was circling momma and baby.  Chased off coyote, but we never saw the calf again.  I'm guessing coyote waited for momma to go get a drink and then did his thing.
Dead HW Calf no 3 - found cow with dead calf immediately after birth.  Not a big calf or malformed in any way, just a dead one.  Don't know what happened, could have been anything (didn't get sack off head quickly, etc)
Dead HW Calf no 4 - big calf, had to be pulled.  Didn't find momma in time, otherwise things would have been fine.
Dead HW Calf no 5 - Kind of a thin looking calf, just kept getting poorer.  Caught him and treated with antibiotics.  Calf died a couple of days later.

This wasn't an unusual number of calves to lose total, but was extremely unusual for them to all be from one sire.  We're calving in pretty big, rough pastures where they get checked on once a day.  None of these may have been the sire's fault, but I'm going other directions this year.  The live ones are good though  ;).

knabe

watch out, it could be a bubble.  maybe you can get a bailout if you buy it and can't sell it to cover costs.

Just got off the phone with Mike @ Top Sire. He said Heatwave is $65 and the clones are $30. He said they are out of semen right now.

that means it's not $65 because he doesn't have any.  call him back when he has some.

i sense a tulip bubble.

shortyjock89

CJC said:
CJC said:
#Heat Wave ASK
# Heat Wave 1 $30
# Heat Wave 2 $30
# Heat Wave 3 $30
# Heat Wave 4 $30
# Heat Wave 5 $30
# Heat Wave 6 $25

Exactly. It might as well be free from the supplier, but if they don't have it to sell, you have to get it elsewhere, which means people can basically charge whatever people will pay.

Dusty

I would be curious as to who bought the HW semen at Deiters???

Chambero, the coyote thing would definetly piss me off....  I would probably go on a coyote/stray dog killing spree for awhile after that...  Or get a deer carcass and lace it with strychnine or something

CJC

CJC said:
CJC said:
#Heat Wave ASK
# Heat Wave 1 $30
# Heat Wave 2 $30
# Heat Wave 3 $30
# Heat Wave 4 $30
# Heat Wave 5 $30
# Heat Wave 6 $25

Exactly. It might as well be free from the supplier, but if they don't have it to sell, you have to get it elsewhere, which means people can basically charge whatever people will pay.

Just talk to a guy @ Bovine Elite. He said that if you plan on breeding to Heatwave or the clones better plan on next year. He also said Phil did not indicate on the price going up.

shortyjock89

Mr. Lautner doesn't have any control over what Joe Blo sells his Heatwave semen at.  If someone will pay $100 bucks/straw, then that's how much it costs.  And even if Mr. Lautner doesn't indicate a price increase, that doesn't mean there won't be one, especially if the Heatwave's don't produce semen to meet demand. 

knabe

Mr. Lautner doesn't have any control over what Joe Blo sells his Heatwave semen at.  If someone will pay $100 bucks/straw, then that's how much it costs.  And even if Mr. Lautner doesn't indicate a price increase, that doesn't mean there won't be one, especially if the Heatwave's don't produce semen to meet demand. 

wait, someone can charge what they want?